Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Columns getting poured today. The crane didn't get any taller over the weekend but it should happen soon.

20231218_115934.jpg
Mon Dec 18.jpg

Will this be the tallest crane ever erected in Toronto?

Given the 328m height of the building, the cab of this crane should be at least 330 to 340m tall and the arm should extent up another 30-40m above that!

Has Toronto ever had a crane this tall before?
Yup - the CN Tower crane ran all the way up to the skypod, likely about 460 metres up:

image.jpg

Crane is growing this morning. View attachment 528962
Yup, I can see it poking from the condo cluster on Charles St. Less than 2 years ago, I could see the crane and even the top floors clearly, but 55C has since blocked The One from my view. It shouldn’t be too long before it’ll reappear to lord it over all the other buildings though

IMG_1104.jpeg

Re: Shear Walls,

They're reducing the size of columns and walls as the tower goes up, because the amount of lateral force the building must resist at the top is much lower than at the bottom. However, it's not just to save money, the walls and columns have to slowly get smaller to avoid stiffness irregularities.

I suspect the reason for large partition walls is gradually transfer lateral load from the interior core to the exterior mega columns above the ground floor retail space. As the building gets taller, this mechanism tapers away. Basically a very distributed outrigger system, so that the retail can avoid columns.

Walls may periodically appear as they go up to accomplish a similar effect throughout the height of the building. Don't be surprised if you see more of them, they're not for vertical loads.

Last edited:
They seem to be in no hurry to start the next floor after pouring the columns on Monday. Everybody off until the new year?

Back