Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

It is pretty unique Toronto. It is more representative of pro density/height planning policy that allows developers a chance to obtain approval on a building that greatly exceeds as of right zoning than what I think you are inferring.

I'm a little sad. Same time, increases the chance of getting the residential component built.

Based on everything we've heard so far, a huge part of the economic justification for this tower is actually the retail rather than the residential.

While Mizrahi states he is responding to resident's concerns, he may also have found it was not economically necessary or advisable to have so many floors of condo units to sell into the high-end market.

Reactions: rbt
Shadows do cast an increasing—uh—shadow over grand plans in Toronto. While they have long played a role in building approvals, they are now also linked to the Tall Buildings Design Guidelines, a document which has proven to carry considerable weight at OMB hearings in the last year. Developers ignoring them are taking a risk.

Meanwhile, there may very well be other factors at play that are not public at the moment.

On top of that, shadowing is a valid concern. It's not fair to paint this association as extremists unless you actually sat in the meeting and saw the torches and pitchforks.

I fail to see how shadowing on Jesse Ketchum park is even relevant. It is about 400m from the site!
Sure a shadow from ANY building will be present 3 minutes after sunrise.
I wasn't particularly in love with the redesign of this building, but the height proposed here gave me hope for something truly special to be proposed elsewhere in the near future.
I just have to remember to breathe out, another 20 or so years and this subset of nimby's will be gone.

It will be the tallest in the area, and in the end may actually fit better within this skyline, given of course that a fine building eventually is produced. Nevertheless, it's still going to be a letdown for some when these unusual proposals get chopped down due to shadowing concerns.

What is wrong with this city? This project had the potential to be our version of the Empire State Building. An architectural statement for the city of Toronto but in typical fashion of our height phobic planning dept. it gets chopped. If you want density then you'll get shadowing and its not like it is a stagnant non moving image. The other thing this council doesn't take into consideration is the reflectivity aspects of a building and how much it lights up the area. Perhaps they should have built a rental tower and it would have been passed without the blink of an eye like HNR. Truly sad!

Back