Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Your heighter angst is unwarranted. This was initiated by the developer. Yeah, happens more often than you too. Damn developers never want to responsibility.

This little poop park has really been messing shit up with the development in and around Yorkville. Its crazy how something so insignificant such as shadows on a track and field park can cause this much impact to potential developments.

It's actually not crazy. It's your thought processes that is.

You can't have both. You can't complain about the lack of vision when it comes to public spaces in the city and also complain over some superficial height reduction while dismissing shadowing as NIMBYism. This is not how you achieve those European standards.

Still not sure how shadowing becomes a concern. I live in a tower downtown, and since occupation have had towers built immediately to the West, and South obstructing my view, and obviously all the sun. In fact, I'm more upset at coming face to face with neighbors when I look out my window into someone else's unit across the street. But I don't complain (much). So it's hard to sympathize with someone 10 blocks North of The One worried about 30 minutes shadow effect.

I personally always cross to the shady side of the street or sit on the shaded side of a park. I'm pale, I burn, and I don't really want to increase my chances of skin cancer.
My houseplants need sun, but does a track field need full sun all the time? If this was a garden based park I would feel differently.

Progress. You admit shadows are real.

I don't know what "heighter angst" is - but your smugness is uncalled for.
I don't care whether it was initiated by the developer, the city or the Pope, it's still very disappointing.

I was quite excited about a "supertall" finally joining our boom - and in one of the most appropriate locations in the whole country. And I know there were quite a few others looking forward to Toronto joining the ranks of cities sporting a supertall building as well.
So , yes I am very disappointed that this potentially great building will be chopped to something just less than that height.

But what galls me is that my disappointment gives you some strange sort of pleasure.

Do you have some innate need to provoke those who's opinions you don't like?

I find it odd that multiple comments are directed at the planning dept and city being small minded... this appears to be initiated from the proponent and probably has a lot more to do with economic viability than shadows...

Probably because the vast majority of times it is the city cutting a building down.

I can only remember one development going back to the city to get their project reduced - the Trump tower. I'm not aware of any others.

This little poop park has really been messing shit up with the development in and around Yorkville. Its crazy how something so insignificant such as shadows on a track and field park can cause this much impact to potential developments.
This cannot be a valid reason... Sooo try again.

the shadow argument is silly. You can't stop progress on a down town project like this cause of a shadow. I would think glaring or sun reflections would be a bigger issue for people in cities. but shadows? Really? Cities become canyons get over it. And move where it doesn't bother you. Don't stop progress cause one or two are unhappy over silly non issues.

Also glaring or sun reflections depending on angle and what not can be very real issues... Fires can easily start. All it takes is a cracked window or something convex like to make an fire happen. What harm do shadows do anyways, your I the city how out to a park for sun. Can't have everything in the city

Some people are just plain all about them selves and care not for what these projects actually do for a city or have the potential to.

Last edited by a moderator:
Some people are just plain all about them selves and care not for what these projects actually do for a city or have the potential to.

I am slightly curious - just exactly what is it that this slight reduction will result in the tower not being being able to do for city?

If this changes the project from economically infeasible to feasible without a reduction in quality I think we are all better for it.

AoD

Back