Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

I really really hope we don't see something like that dominating the corner. I would rather see a small Apple store mixed with other retail units.
Apple wouldn't be interested in a small store here -- it already has one at Eaton Centre. It's presumably looking for a flagship store (which Canada currently doesn't have), and the lack of columns at The One makes it an excellent location for that. And I'm sure The One is happy with that, as any dividing up of the ground floor into small units would mask one of the central architectural features of the building.

Honestly this building is so much more than the stupid Apple store. This thread has become reddit for Apple fanboys. Would it be possible to move all Apple related discussion to a different thread? I'm sure a lot of us are opening this thread in anticipation of some actual updates.

Well, it's your unlucky day. The revelation of the main tenant of a building at the most coveted intersection in the city is major news. The Apple Store and The One are intrinsically connected. Whether you like Apple — the company — or not, they're celebrated for their store architecture and interior design and that design is going to define the architecture of the street level of this building. So yes, of course we're going to be discussing the Apple Store here.

That said, I don't think we should be discussing the next iPhone or the merits of Apple vs Android but you're the one who brought up the tribalism.

and the lack of columns at The One makes it an excellent location for that. And I'm sure The One is happy with that, as any dividing up of the ground floor into small units would mask one of the central architectural features of the building.

I find the idea of 'lack of columns' on the ground floor slightly misinterpreted, as aside from the 8 mega-columns around the perimeter, there are an additional 8 smaller columns that aim toward the ceiling on the diagonal. While it certainly allows for a larger unimpeded space (specifically without a core running through the middle), they are impossible to miss, while also creating some unusable space around the base of the columns that will need to be cordoned off so people don't hit their heads. This ground-floor would be very difficult to divide up into multiple retailers - it was designed with a single tenant in mind.
This goes along with the dynamic of the entire building, where it's structural qualities are not hidden from view, and are apart of its design language. There isn't another space in the city that comes close to this... exactly what Apple is looking for. More than just a perfect location.

Well, it's your unlucky day. The revelation of the main tenant of a building at the most coveted intersection in the city is major news.

Only for people who haven't been paying attention. That drawing showing the Apple name has been online for almost 2 years.

Honestly this building is so much more than the stupid Apple store. This thread has become reddit for Apple fanboys. Would it be possible to move all Apple related discussion to a different thread? I'm sure a lot of us are opening this thread in anticipation of some actual updates.
Exactly, the building itself takes a backseat to the Apple infatuation. This has been going on since the first iteration of 1 Bloor West. Hopefully a firm announcement will be made and all the Apple people can relax and take a breath, while everyone else gets on
with the actual construction of the project itself.

This goes along with the dynamic of the entire building, where it's structural qualities are not hidden from view, and are apart of its design language. There isn't another space in the city that comes close to this...
While it's not used as a retail space, Queen Richmond Centre might also qualify.

While it's not used as a retail space, Queen Richmond Centre might also qualify.

The banking pavilion at the TD Centre is spectacular as a retail banking space because its structural qualities are not hidden from view.

Possbily, but Apple wouldn’t have set up shop in either of those locations.
I think I worded that last bit a bit clunky, what I was getting at was that Apple has been patiently waiting for both a strategic location and a grand space to work with.
Rumours of Apple being interested in Stollery’s/Yonge+Bloor go many years back, but I don’t think the existing building offered any intriguing possibilities and likely presented limitations for designing a new flagship around it. Yes, they have done it very successfully in the past, retrofitting older buildings, but it seems it wasn’t their intention to do so.
This is just speculation on my end, but I’m equally curious if Apple was involved with The One from the get-go, or instigated the design overhaul (version 1 featured an interior 8 level mini-mall with a grand atrium):

image.jpg

Source: https://beta.images.theglobeandmail.com/1a4/news/toronto/article23409279.ece/BINARY/w940/image.jpg

Perhaps we should stroll over to the 1BE thread and complain about how the talk of Nordstrom Rack should be moved to a different thread? Or all the talk of (insert retailer here) on (mixed-use or retail build project)?

Cmon. Apple will be a prominent retailer in the building. It's fair game to mention them, and though you may want not to have to read about a company you obviously have a hate-on for (any grown-up who uses the term "fanboys" shows little restraint of their biases), you're gonna have to suck it up. I'm tired of shaking my head at adults who want to act like teenagers.

Exactly, the building itself takes a backseat to the Apple infatuation. This has been going on since the first iteration of 1 Bloor West. Hopefully a firm announcement will be made and all the Apple people can relax and take a breath, while everyone else gets on with the actual construction of the project itself.

And with this: "… Apple people …" "… everyone else …". Into other-ism much?

Enough with the acrimonious anti-apple BS (and not just in this thread). It's not like people are here in this thread complaining about other phone/computer platforms that you feel you need to go on the defensive, let alone offensive. By bringing up this kind of stuff, you need to realize that *you* are the ones trolling here.

This is just speculation on my end, but I’m equally curious if Apple was involved with The One from the get-go, or instigated the design overhaul (version 1 featured an interior 8 level mini-mall with a grand atrium)

The structure of the tower is designed around the need for a column-free* retail space on the ground floor - you don't propose a structure like this - to the point of the core of the tower not reaching bedrock (which is pretty much how every other tower in the city is done) unless there is a demand for this. The first public iteration of the project already exhibit this characteristic. Simply put, you really can't take Fruitco out of the project - it is the way it is partly because of the demand of said suspected leasee.

And really you'd be hard pressed to find anyone else using those massive single pane 3 storey tall glazing.

AoD

Last edited:
The structure of the tower is designed around the need for a column-free* retail space on the ground floor - you don't propose a structure like this - to the point of the core of the tower not reaching bedrock (which is pretty much how every other tower in the city is done) unless there is a demand for this. The first public iteration of the project already exhibit this characteristic. Simply put, you really can't take Fruitco out of the project - it is the way it is partly because of the demand of said suspected leasee.

And really you'd be hard pressed to find anyone else using those massive single pane 3 storey tall glazing.

AoD

This.

It was already plainly obvious who this retail space was being designed for from the beginning. I mean, come on, Foster is Apple’s architect. No chance that he didn’t bring it up to Tim Cook, Jony Ive and Angela Ahrendts when The One hit his desk. I’d argue that Mizrahi chose Foster, specifically to land Apple as the anchor tenant or even that Apple was involved during the Stollery days and they chose the architect.

In retrospect, tons of hints other than the Apple Store tables in the rendering were giving it away. The column free space, the giant clear glass facades, the green wall. Heck, there’s even a macOS wallpaper of Yosemite on the wall!

3346DD93-5ABD-40C5-A444-ED2076F1634F.jpeg

Whatever the case, I’m excited to see what they’ll come up with. There’s still a missing piece of Apple’s new concept: an outdoor square. It’s possible that there’ll just be a patio on the Bloor sidewalk.

Attachments

• 3346DD93-5ABD-40C5-A444-ED2076F1634F.jpeg
    3346DD93-5ABD-40C5-A444-ED2076F1634F.jpeg
    168.5 KB · Views: 423
I wish Toronto would have a legit apple store with some cool minimalist stand-alone architecture - not something shoehorned into the podium of a condo.
I still don't think an Apple location here will be the Toronto flagship store until confirmed otherwise.

A location here made perfect sense, intersection of two subway lines, one of the country's most famous intersections, near Yorkville and Rosedale, and in a building that is going to be a landmark once complete.

But none of this changes how pitiful the Eaton Centre location is. Surely a city of Toronto's size and growing presence in the tech world can allow for two or more Apple locations downtown? I would say that Apple is likely not done growing its presence in this city. In addition to replacing the Eatons store, there are obvious areas to expand into (Yonge&Eglinton, STC, and I am sure one more in the east end somewhere, perhaps at East Harbour if it turns out well?).

I was concerned about size so I had a closer look at the blueprints and noticed that the retail space under the alleged Apple Store is labeled Retail BOH — "back of house". There's an elevator that lead directly from the south wall of the main floor retail space down to the basement. There's also a ramp that leads to a second floor smaller BOH. So Apple would be able to use the entire floor for public use. Stockrooms, repair technician rooms, possibly a boardroom (their business space) and other back of house activities could take place below or on the second floor outside of the available main retail area.

Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 2.10.11 AM.png

I also found that Apple Yorkdale is 9800 sq/ft. The One's retail space is 8900 sq/ft. A cantilevered platform on the south wall could add 1000 sq/ft. Using the lower level could get it to 15,000sq/ft The space would be suitable.

Not quite Chicago's 20,000 sq/ft. but still more than double the size of the Eaton Centre store.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 2.10.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-01-05 at 2.10.11 AM.png
    191.4 KB · Views: 366

Back