Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

I hope this creates a trend where there is tons of demand for high end luxury buildings designed by Starchitects in Toronto

I hope this creates a trend where there is tons of demand for high end luxury buildings designed by Starchitects in Toronto

If I was in the high end market, this is the building I'd want to be in. World class thought and detail, world class architecture, world class firm designed it. Tallest building in the city and country...plus the location is the best in the city (two subway lines right beneath your home, luxury Yorkville address, one of the most well known intersections in the country). I'm sure high end buyers are very picky and wouldn't fork over their money if they didn't believe they were getting a high quality product. Here they are.

I dunno. Tallest building for a two or three years at best. Plus I question whether the majority of owners will actually deign to take something as vulgar as mass transit. They will have bought units for the prestige and the views and the centrality of location... I would say transit options are, for the most part, comparatively distant concerns.

Don't get me wrong - I'm excited for the building to come and the profile it will have on the skyline, but I'm also suspicious of hyperbole for its own sake. It's just another tall condo advertising itself as the be all and end all. Fast-forward ten years and it won't have quite the same mojo.

I am also sceptical. The building is very appealing and unique as a project. When it comes to the reality, I keep thinking about 1 Bloor East, practically the same location. Many years ago it was also advertised as sort of center of everything, main intersection in Canada, project not to be missed etc. Prices for pre-construction were high for that time, all the line ups, difficulty securing a unit etc. Newspaper articles. Much talk about architects and designers. Impressive presentation center promising an urban oasis. Look at it now.

The building is beautiful from the outside, no longer the tallest though. An ordinary condo building on the inside, nothing is luxurious about it. So much delayed. Not completed, no amenities a year after registration, elevators not working properly, cheap finishes inside the units. Mostly investor not owner occupied. Builder seem to lost interest. So when considering 1 Bloor West, are there guarantees that it is going to be any different? Prices are high? Does it mean it is going to be luxurious or high profit for the developer? Mark up for the location? Location and views are good, promises are good...but I am sceptical.

High end buyers believe that they are getting high quality products but are not necessarily getting them. You can believe artistic renderings and descriptions few times, and then you stop believing ... and buying at these prices. Luckily for builders there are always new high end buyers who hope to be getting a high quality product.

Last edited:
Today.
2A17A207-3163-4FED-97C6-7A9F347BDB5A.jpeg

Attachments

• 2A17A207-3163-4FED-97C6-7A9F347BDB5A.jpeg
    2A17A207-3163-4FED-97C6-7A9F347BDB5A.jpeg
    340.7 KB · Views: 448
Pretty much everyone does a top-down dig! It would be the top-down build of underground levels that would be special…

Pretty much everyone does a top-down dig! It would be the top-down build of underground levels that would be special…

Ah yes that's what I meant more...Typically projects with these big super-columns build up as they're building down. Wanted to know if that was the intended method for this (like Shanghai Tower).

The One will probably not be completed and open for 3+ years. Do you think Apple is prepared to wait? We do have many other posible locations for a new Apple emporium.

The One will probably not be completed and open for 3+ years. Do you think Apple is prepared to wait? We do have many other posible locations for a new Apple emporium.
Clearly they do not agree, as they have not yet opened a flagship store here, long after Montreal got its flagship on Ste-Catherine. Had they found the right spot earlier on, we would have one by now.

Back