Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Looks very nice. But I'm puzzled by the direction of the diagonal exogrid elements. Shouldn't they be in the opposite direction, to transfer the load from the upper outside corner of each six-floor grid to the two main vertical columns on each side?

Unless of course they are purely decorative.

Even better than before!

Looks very nice. But I'm puzzled by the direction of the diagonal exogrid elements. Shouldn't they be in the opposite direction, to transfer the load from the upper outside corner of each six-floor grid to the two main vertical columns on each side?

Unless of course they are purely decorative.

The load of the 5 floor "stack" would be transferred upward along the diagrid as tension I think. The HSBC floors are hung down - don't think that's the case here (could easily be be wrong about the arrangement in this case though)

AoD

Last edited:
Even better than before!

The load of the 5 floor "stack" would be transferred upward along the diagrid as tension I think. The HSBC floors are hung down - don't think that's the case here (could easy be be wrong about the arrangement in this case though)

AoD

That would work. As long as the load gets transferred to the two vertical columns somehow, it's all good. And it certainly does look more refined than the earlier cross-grid design.

That would work. As long as the load gets transferred to the two vertical columns somehow, it's all good. And it certainly does look more refined than the earlier cross-grid design.

There is also a column at the corner though, so the diagrids probably doesn't handle the entire load (if at all). Stabilizes/stiffins the structure as well, perhaps?

If cost was an issue with the previous diagonal exoskeleton, then how is this new one any different?

There were no columns at all in the original proposal - I think it has to handle the entire load in and on its' own (meaning it need more steel). Not the case here anymore.

AoD

This is once again very exciting and potentially very beautiful. I am very hopeful about the potential here with this new massing and early stage design. This will be iconic if they proceed along these lines.

This is once again very exciting and potentially very beautiful. I am very hopeful about the potential here with this new massing and early stage design. This will be iconic if they proceed along these lines.

At this point I am very happy to agree with the bolded!

AoD

Very nice, much better than I had feared. I'm dubious that we'll actually get the golden colour on the exoskeleton -- are there standard (i.e., cheap) materials that would work here?

And is there a good explanation somewhere for the "hangar" principle at work here and for the Shanghai building? Is it that the large verticals take almost all the load, and the weight of the sets of floors are largely hung off of these verticals, with each set of floors largely independently hung (and thus not directly bearing the weight of the above sets)?

Very nice, much better than I had feared. I'm dubious that we'll actually get the golden colour on the exoskeleton -- are there standard (i.e., cheap) materials that would work here?

Anodized aluminium?

And is there a good explanation somewhere for the "hangar" principle at work here and for the Shanghai building? Is it that the large verticals take almost all the load, and the weight of the sets of floors are largely hung off of these verticals, with each set of floors largely independently hung (and thus not directly bearing the weight of the above sets)?

[video=youtube;jCZFxE07iZs]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCZFxE07iZs[/video]

AoD

Back