Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

Now, don't expect the HSBC building exactly, but hangers it is at the moment.

Seeking the digital image files.

Nice.

With 2 super-columns per facade, the hanger design could make for a pleasingly symmetrical building.

I have trouble imagining how this would be cheaper than the cross-bracing - the HSBC HQ was one of the most expensive office buildings ever (it was certainly the case when it was built back in 85). Perhaps they could replace those massive Vierendeel columns with cast concrete?

AoD

Last edited:
I don't think they will be going to the trouble to make renders given how fluid the design process is

Line drawings and renderings are two different things however

Line drawings and renderings are two different things however

I know, just saying as a personal preference (and recall the street level perspective drawings presented at the community meeting). Regarding renderings - note:

There are new exterior renderings. Not "finalized" yet, but there is a new exoskeleton design, now leaning towards a "hanger design", not exactly the same as but another take on the structural system used by Foster at the Hong Kong and Shanghai Bank building in Hong Kong.

We might not have long to wait before we see them.

AoD

Last edited:
Photo of the site from yesterday:

18171479301_0d6eda646f_b.jpg

I'm definitely excited with the new massing, it's a much more elegant structure. I do like how the inset balconies are retained down the middle on either side, it provides a sense of rigidity to the structure - wait, are they balconies?. It will be exciting to see how this design gets refined down the road. I assume when things get ironed out, we will get higher-quality renders, like the ones initially released.

Back