Toronto The One | 328.4m | 91s | Mizrahi Developments | Foster + Partners

people buy music online, nobody buys CDs. Itunes, pirating, or otherwise, all on the computer so that it can be stored on their ipod or smartphone. Its not exactly a new concept, MP3 players have been out for around 15 years now. I'm amazed Sunrise has lasted this long, actually.

people buy music online, nobody buys CDs. Itunes, pirating, or otherwise, all on the computer so that it can be stored on their ipod or smartphone. Its not exactly a new concept, MP3 players have been out for around 15 years now. I'm amazed Sunrise has lasted this long, actually.
I buy CDs. Vinyl has made a huge comeback. The thing is, the mainstream no longer buys albums, they buy singles from iTunes and stream music on Spotify etc.

I buy CDs. Vinyl has made a huge comeback. The thing is, the mainstream no longer buys albums, they buy singles from iTunes and stream music on Spotify etc.

A Lot of new cars don't even come with a cd player. Aux cable and USB ports that's it.

I buy CDs too. There is new generation of music fans discovering vinyl for the first time. Kops Records opened a new Annex location at Bloor and Markham last year.

Vinyl has not made a huge comeback. It has made a modest comeback, and that's huge that it's making a comeback at all, but it's still a relatively rather small percentage of total music sales.

US numbers for the first half of this year:

Downloads and streaming: $2,200,000,000
CDs $716,000,000
Vinyl $146,000,000

Sorry I couldn't resist testing how long people would insist on explaining the blindingly obvious.

I was prompted by this oblique, cryptic comment "(Sunrise) sells CD's and DVD's - that should tell you everything"

It was cryptic to me because I had no idea CD & DVD sales had slowed.

I agree it was cryptic and had nothing to do with what you were asking ... and found your responses entertaining ... : )

Thanks Taal I was beginning to feel guilty.

With any luck this thread will get some real news at some point, since midtown needs energy. Perhaps HP will get the commission to build a companion, not a twin, of 1BE?

Enough.

Anybody else believe that part of Holt Renfrew's decision to open a stand-alone men's store on Bloor may have been somewhat predicated on the belief that Strolley's (an upscale men's store) is likely on the way out?

Back