Toronto The Mercer | 111.55m | 33s | Beaverhall | BBB

whoa, I didn't even realize that 8 Mercer is the same development as The Mercer (of that gawd-awful parody song jingle fame)!
They must totally revamped their marketing. I remember visiting the sales centre a year ago and thought the building was rather bland and the units were small, and overpriced for what you are getting. The broker was pushing the long 5-year closing as being an excellent investment.

Heard that on the radio today. It has to be one of the worst radio ads I've ever heard -- Total cheese...
I'd like to know how much the "ad wizard" stole for creating that mess.

Well, depending on the economy, it could well become "Inner City Blues (Make Me Wanna Holler)"

11 October 2010: The Mercer is so sad and lonely, it needs your love! :D

dsc01131p.jpg

btw, walking home last nite from Wellington and U to Keele and Bloor, all the (main) streets were DEAD! I passed maybe 5 other pedestrians. Toronto can be so depressingly small town at times--which is why the ED, for starters, needs tons more residential density such as this building provides!

11 October 2010: The Mercer is so sad and lonely, it needs your love! :D

btw, walking home last nite from Wellington and U to Keele and Bloor, all the (main) streets were DEAD! I passed maybe 5 other pedestrians. Toronto can be so depressingly small town at times--which is why the ED, for starters, needs tons more residential density such as this building provides!

It was thanksgiving! Give me a break : )

The Mercer's lobby, last seen in post 112 on page 8 when it was 8 Mercer's lobby, now will look like this:

MercerNewLobby750.jpg

Earlier this month, Urban Toronto visited the offices of BBB Architects to discuss The Mercer with lead architect Brian Brisbin. He explained how the 33-storey condominium by Graywood Developments and Beaverhall Homes honours the industrial legacy of Mercer Street in a layered, “Romantic Modern” vocabulary of glass, steel, genuine brick, and Canadian Limestone.

Text by Doug Convoy, Photos by Craig White, Illustrations Courtesy of Graywood Developments and Beaverhall Homes.

MercerExteriorDusk750.jpg

On the south, east, and north elevations of The Mercer, red brick arches with limestone detailing span the height of the podium above a retail/lobby level clad in glass, steel, and limestone. An additional arch – likened to a vertical Mercer Street – extends two-thirds up the south elevation of the glass tower, signalling the building’s industrial roots on the city skyline. These will be lit for special events, heightening the theatricality of The Mercer at the centre of the Entertainment District.

For added graphic intensity, fritted glass balcony railings wrap around the tower’s upper storeys. Above, the building is crowned by a cantilevered, aluminum-clad brise-soleil, aglow at night from lighting within the mechanicals area, which is enclosed in sandblasted curtain glazing. The rest of the building is clad in low-e window wall.

MercerModelP1190544.jpg

Atop the podium, two trellises mirroring the building’s crown frame the 10,000 square foot private terrace designed by Matt Bernstein of Terraplan Landscape Architects in collaboration with The Design Agency.

MercerModelP1190547.jpg

The terrace is 42% green cover, with the remaining space made up of a series of ‘rooms,’ including a games area and a dining area with kitchen. Six L-shaped fixtures provide lighting at night and act as misters on hot summer days. A large screen wall camouflaging the staircase core allows residents to watch movies outdoors.

MercerModelP1190549.jpg

Close-up of an outdoor lounge, the lighting / misting fixtures, and a portion of the screen wall

MercerModelP1190551.jpg

Close-up of the private dining area

MercerModelP1190552.jpg

The Mercer, with 415 suites from 363 square feet to over 1000 square feet, brings depth to Toronto’s architectural landscape with a unique homage to the city’s industrial past in a thoroughly contemporary expression. Urban Toronto promises to track this project closely as it’s brought to fruition in the few years to come. So, stay tuned.

MercerModelP1190548.jpg

Lead architect for The Mercer, BBB Architects Principal Brian Brisbin

BrianBrisbinP1190790.jpg

Another spandrel nightmare!

He took the Boutique Condos design and made it worse. Also, for an architect, he does not appear to be very sartorially inclined.

This isn't a great backdrop for the restaurant strip on King, and hardly a building worthy of demolishing 12 Mercer.

Last edited:
unremarkable.
The trellis elements on top of the podium and the tower looks extremely chunkly and crude.
The fritted glass railings and panels near the top of the tower is nice, but there are too many disjointed design elements on the exterior.
The east facing units at Bisha will have this building directly in their view, lucky them.

Last edited:

Back