Toronto The King East | ?m | 15s | Lamb Dev Corp | Core Architects

Walked by the site today and they're up to 15th/14th floor combo. I'll post crappy phone pics I've snagged later. Also I think 2nd floor has drywall division visible now.

I think you're a floor off. They're at 13th/14th floor. I did see some drywall work on part of the 2nd floor.

You're right they didn't pour concrete on 15th I should've specified that they only put up portion of scaffolding to pour 15th floor. Here are pics I've taken today TKE-09th-May-2012

Edit: TheKingEast was right I was a floor off. I was counting it incorrectly all this time and he was right to correct me. In any case I'll post 4-5 pics I've snagged today with my good camera before batteries died. Also drywall on the inside might be up to 3rd flood now.

Last edited:
Well now they are at 15th floor, you can tell by thickness of concrete on west side that they are ready to build penthouse suites. So here are pics from 14th and 19th of May.

Enjoy TKE-19th-MAY-2012

Also signs "MOVE IN MAY 2012" are all gone. Not sure how long they've been gone for and new letter will be sent out close to 15th of June. Becauce next letter has to be 100% correct move in date or they face penalties. Expected to see move in dates in two stages mid August and mid September, or so they told me...

The density is fine with me. 8-15 storeys is a perfect scale for new infill in the historical parts of the eastside downtown. It's a great way to complete the already excellent urban fabric. 15s works here considering it is a corner lot.

Taken today. Just a quick snapshot of this beautiful building.

THE-KING-EAST-27-05-2012.jpg

Have you guys noticed how main floor retail podiums in Toronto have gotten so much better than just a few years ago? It seems like most major developments have high ceilings and big, open windows. They look so much nicer than they used to and they are all over the city, not just in high traffic areas. This complex is no exception. I think the retail space is going to be wonderful.

Have you guys noticed how main floor retail podiums in Toronto have gotten so much better than just a few years ago? It seems like most major developments have high ceilings and big, open windows. They look so much nicer than they used to and they are all over the city, not just in high traffic areas. This complex is no exception. I think the retail space is going to be wonderful.

That's not by accident. Speaking with developers, I've heard that there has been a real recognition over the last few years of the impact that well though-out retail space can have on a development and neighbourhood. Retail space is no longer an afterthought, especially when it comes to development downtown.

Creating double height ground levels for retail was included in the Tall Buildings guidelines I believe.

The improved ground level retail space initiative has produced many positive results. It has allowed a more engaging streetscape and potential for more interesting retail uses. A lot of the older condos (ie. good: Met, bad: RoCP and most of the upper Bay canyon) suffered at the street level because its awkwardly small units or design motifs like pillars made it feel disconnected with pedestrian realm. In turn, has limited the retail uses in older buildings. I've been to a half or dozen or so downtown project planning meetings and each applicant has expressed awareness to incorporate successful commercial retail spaces. This initiative will become increasingly important as neighbourhoods like the Entertainment District become completely transformed into a "work/live/play" area.

Last edited:

Back