Toronto The Berczy | 41.76m | 13s | Concert | Arcadis

Heres my take...Toronto historical board or similar wants the worn and weathered look. Anyone with any money in the building should prefer new brick..which won't need replacement and maintenance in the second Year of occupancy.

Only one way to find out; carbon-dating.

If concert is as attentive to detail and finishing as they claim, I think they may use new bricks, or better bricks in street-level facades, where it is more visually scrutinized. Unless of course they're trying to achieve the worn and weathered look to give it a heritage feel, then they may use it at ground level.

Heres my take...Toronto historical board or similar wants the worn and weathered look. Anyone with any money in the building should prefer new brick..which won't need replacement and maintenance in the second Year of occupancy.

The bricks you see are new and not part of the heritage section. The redeveloped heritage portion is the FRONT exterior of the South section. The bricks were numbers and cleaned. The process was complicated and they will rebuild the exterior to it's original form with the same bricks taken down. I'm sure they found enough bricks from the entire building for the front section but I am not 100% sure.

I bet there will be NO new bricks for this heritage portion.

Honestly, if they can't be bothered to save the building, if they can't be bothered to keep the facade standing, and if they can't even be bothered to use the original materials (or in the case of the Bay Adelaide Centre, maintain the original proportions), it's like a race to bottom when it comes to heritage. At least in the 1960s they made no bones about a lack of interest in preservation. Heritage preservation is now often treated as just a facade for destruction.

Honestly, if they can't be bothered to save the building, if they can't be bothered to keep the facade standing, and if they can't even be bothered to use the original materials (or in the case of the Bay Adelaide Centre, maintain the original proportions), it's like a race to bottom when it comes to heritage. At least in the 1960s they made no bones about a lack of interest in preservation. Heritage preservation is now often treated as just a facade for destruction.

Hmmm, not sure your point. I feel like this post belongs in a "heritage specific" thread discussing the city's rules.

This building was never classified as heritage and Concert is using the same materials (numbering each brick to the exact location) and using the exact proportions of the previous building facade, right down to the exterior finishes. If they wanted to they could have destroyed this structure and dumped the bricks in a landfill. It sure would have been cheaper and easier than taking this building down brick by brick, numbering and cleaning them, building the structure into the development and reassembly.

These units would be great with the 13/14' ceilings and I'm sure layouts were a challenge with the rest of the units having 9' ceilings.

Hopefully Concert delivers on this one, everyone has very high expectations with the stellar location.

And related to the above point, as part of the LEED Gold status; metals, concrete, wood and drywall have been carefully separated on-site and sent to a recycling facility to be made into new products. How many developers would even bother?

Today:

IA6Vl.jpg

Interesting angle sMT. Where did you take that from?

Nov. 13, 2012 - The Berczy is now starting to make its presence known (from the east).

IMG_0507.jpg

IMG_0508.jpg

IMG_0509.jpg

Interesting angle sMT. Where did you take that from?

It was taken from the CN Tower. Love your view from the east by the way :)

Hmmm, not sure your point. I feel like this post belongs in a "heritage specific" thread discussing the city's rules.

This building was never classified as heritage and Concert is using the same materials (numbering each brick to the exact location) and using the exact proportions of the previous building facade, right down to the exterior finishes. If they wanted to they could have destroyed this structure and dumped the bricks in a landfill. It sure would have been cheaper and easier than taking this building down brick by brick, numbering and cleaning them, building the structure into the development and reassembly.

To clarify, I was commenting on heritage preservation in general in this city. This project simply reminded me of similar practices applied to inappropriate situations; my comment wasn't a criticism directed toward it specifically.

Prepping the Berczy---Historic Portion at 6 Church Street for Bricking.

Attachments

• Prepping to Brick Nov 14, 2012 b.jpg
    Prepping to Brick Nov 14, 2012 b.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 323
  • Prepping to Brick Nov 14, 2012 a.jpg
    Prepping to Brick Nov 14, 2012 a.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 302
Prepping the Berczy---Historic Portion at 6 Church Street for Bricking.

Great update! Does anyone know the purpose of that 1-2" padding they are adding on top of the cinderblocks? Instillation before the brickwork? I don't think I have seen this layer before on other brick condos (example King East or Corktown Condos).

Could this layer have something to do with the gold LEED status?

Great update! Does anyone know the purpose of that 1-2" padding they are adding on top of the cinderblocks? Instillation before the brickwork? I don't think I have seen this layer before on other brick condos (example King East or Corktown Condos).

Could this layer have something to do with the gold LEED status?

It's insulation and is comonly used under metal siding - recent examples are GBC waterfront campus, River City and the Sun Building. I have see it added INSIDE the concrete block walls too.

It's insulation and is comonly used under metal siding - recent examples are GBC waterfront campus, River City and the Sun Building. I have see it added INSIDE the concrete block walls too.

Amazing! Thanks for the info :)

If anyone can take a picture of the brick skids with identification on them, I'd love to see what brick company and brick type is being utilized for the new brick portions.

Back