Toronto The Berczy | 41.76m | 13s | Concert | Arcadis

It blends right in-- matches the old Front Street streetwall beautifully, and has the effect of a modernist building behind it-- just as London on the Esplanade is a newer building behind, as will be L Tower.

I like the brick portion of this building a lot ... in fact it kind of reminds me of London on the Esplanade's podium ~

The generic red brick section takes no cues from the adjacent mid-19th century buildings on Front - though it matches that equally generic, circa 1990, building on Yonge Street that was the first stage of the failed Bay Adelaide development ( it houses a frock shop for chubby chicks, I believe ) quite well. It also apes dozens of other condo towers where the architect tried to emote "fitting in with historical context" without bothering to actually check what that context was.

Does anyone know much about the developer Concert? What is their reputation like? They have a ton of projects out West and the only completed development in Toronto is the rental building Jazz. Would love more information on their track record to help foresee if this project will come out on top.

They just applied for their zoning reviews:

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5E 1B3

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 140794 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Mar 26, 2010

Project: Multiple-Use Building New Building

Description: PUBLIC - PRELIMINARY PROJECT REVIEW, Due Date is 27-APR-10, >>Proposal to construct a new 13-storey mixed-use apartment condo with non-residential at grade facing front street. See also 06 193542 STE.

They just applied for their zoning reviews:

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON M5E 1B3

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 10 140794 ZPR 00 ZR Accepted Date: Mar 26, 2010

Project: Multiple-Use Building New Building

Description: PUBLIC - PRELIMINARY PROJECT REVIEW, Due Date is 27-APR-10, >>Proposal to construct a new 13-storey mixed-use apartment condo with non-residential at grade facing front street. See also 06 193542 STE.

Thanks for the update :) Do you know how a person would go about attending the project review on April 27th?

Thanks for the update :) Do you know how a person would go about attending the project review on April 27th?
I think this is an INTERNAL review by the Planning Department and the date is the date by which this must be done to avoid the developer being able to say "the City is not responding" and rushing off to the OMB. Before any proposal goes much further forward I suspect that there will be a public meeting on this in a month or so but, though these are public, they are not well advertised as the City is only obligated to inform residents within about 200 yards.

Does anyone know much about the developer Concert? What is their reputation like? They have a ton of projects out West and the only completed development in Toronto is the rental building Jazz. Would love more information on their track record to help foresee if this project will come out on top.

Concert has also completed a couple of phases of their Village Gate West site at the Six Points in Etobicoke: a seniors building and a rental building so far.

I think this is an INTERNAL review by the Planning Department and the date is the date by which this must be done to avoid the developer being able to say "the City is not responding" and rushing off to the OMB. Before any proposal goes much further forward I suspect that there will be a public meeting on this in a month or so but, though these are public, they are not well advertised as the City is only obligated to inform residents within about 200 yards.

correction ... Preliminary Project Review (PPR) is City of Toronto's version of a Zoning Review, whereby Zoning Department staff would review a development proposal's compliance with the existing Zoning By-law applicable to a particular property, in order to determine any Zoning Amendments or Minor Variances necessary to faciliate a development ... this is NOT a Planning Department process ... the April 27th due date is just a deadline in which that Zoning Review 'should' be completed by, but I find Toronto's Zoning staff generally don't deliver on their deadlines ~

given there was a previous Zoning Amendment appplication on The Berczy site (was it approved yet?)... I suspect a Public Meeting (only triggered by Draft Plan of Subdivision, Official Plan Amendment or Rezoning applications) will not be required ... only Site Plan Approval will be required and that is a staff approval process not requiring any public notifications

Thanks Solaris, useful information. I do know that the plans have been discussed with the local St Lawrence Neighbourhood Association who are, generally, supportive. I too hope it goes to the Design Review Panel (and that the Panel's website were more often updated! The Agenda of last week's meeting is still not posted. See http://www.toronto.ca/planning/designreviewpanel_meetings.htm )

The Berczy pics

Attachments

• berczy.jpg
    berczy.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 294
  • Oven%20vignette.jpg
    Oven%20vignette.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 260
  • berczy1.jpg
    berczy1.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 296
  • Bedroom%201%20through%20window.jpg
    Bedroom%201%20through%20window.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 274
More info leaking out courtesy of Concert:

LEED GOLD!!!

From sales chirp below:

The Berczy is defined by superior design, engineering and construction. Here is a sample of a few the amazing features waiting for you!

• Interiors by Chapman Design Group.
• Energy efficient, sustainable and livable building design targeting LEED gold status.
• Double-height lobby provides a sophisticated welcome.
• Building amenities include a beautiful furnished party room, private dining room and lounge, a well equipped fitness room, a luxurious spa with whirlpool, steam room and sauna, a yoga studio and media room.
• Two guest suites for over-night guests.
• Professionally landscaped courtyard and roof terrace.
• Large balconies and terraces extend living spaces and provide panoramic views of downtown and the charming St. Lawrence neighbourhood.

Back