Toronto The AvenDale | ?m | 19s | Minto Group | Diamond Schmitt

Status
Not open for further replies.
The building is conservative but fits in well with its neighbours. That stretch of Avenue Road has some nice consistent modern architecture.

avendale.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Conservative ?? Try more like RETRO ... sure it fits in with some of the apartments on Avenue Road, but this design looks like it was taken off a old drawing from the 1970s .... even The Lonsdale condominiums across the street located to the east of this site looks more 'modern' than this proposal :eek:

Yup, sure seems like it. Drove by during the weekend and the sales centre had been stripped, revealing the old house underneath.

A lot of work to just walk away in the end. I wonder why Minto gave up on it?

Really poor sales and high prices (even for the area). They were targeting a lot of people who lived in the area in the hope that they would sell their house and "downsize" to a condo. Their pricing wasn't aligned with that.
Secondly its a complicated site due to the rental property. Whomever tears down the rental building has to be re-build the same amount of rental units (I think at rent controlled prices - but don't quote me on that). The Avondale therefore was basically a two-tier world: apartments which had their own entrance and no amenities and a separate entrance for high priced condo owners. A lot of people who looked at the building were actually turned off by how different Minto treated both parties. (They thought it was kinda gross to completely separate "classes").

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back