Toronto The Address at High Park | ?m | 12s | Chestnut Hill | BDP Quadrangle

^Not only the noise (I just heard it rumbling by from way up high in the air) but the switches flash everytime a subway car passes by--living so close I imagine would be annoying pretty quickly.

15 December 2010 update: Loving the snow! (I really wanted to go skiing today, sadly other more pressing concerns kept me from the slopes...)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I was thinking about the same things when I decided to purchase. My condo is on the 10th floor so I won't have to worry too much about the light but there will definetly be some noise.

^Not only the noise (I just heard it rumbling by from way up high in the air) but the switches flash everytime a subway car passes by--living so close I imagine would be annoying pretty quickly.

Minor point - I do not believe that it is the switches which are creating the flash you see. There are many locations where the third rail (which provides power to the subway cars) is not continuous, including at switches. Whe a car passes over one of the gaps in the third rail, there is normally a flash between the rail and the pickup shoe as the shoe breaks and then makes contact with the rail.

AHK

I was thinking about the same things when I decided to purchase. My condo is on the 10th floor so I won't have to worry too much about the light but there will definetly be some noise.

I'm on the 12th and had the same concern. During my 2 week period i stopped by every night and stood behind the building judging the amount of noise. The only part that you can really hear at ground level is the squeeling of the brakes going in to Keele. And even that isn't that bad. For the amount of time one has windows open I don't think I'll notice. I just hope the builder puts in high quality windows.

You can easily hear the noise from the trains all the time, even in Village at High Park rentals way up in the sky! The flashes go right through my curtains, keeping me awake at night-- now I wear earplugs and I can finally sleep better.

I once lived in a house in the Annex right beside the subway tunnel--massive thud and rumble every few minutes.:D

Probably a bigger concern for you will be that Latinada restaurant/bar--very noisy drum sessions on weekends, well into the night. Or cars trying to make the red at Keele and Bloor--it seems like there's an accident on that corner every day. Finally, there's the added noise of motorbike enthusiasts gunning their engines while test-riding bikes etc at the shop next door.

So while you may have a High Park address (err, ya right lol) you will not have High Park quiet!

Last edited:
Walking by Edna every day the train seems quiet it's not until the tressel that the noise is really bad. Those having suites facing North West may have a tough go of it. If more condos are to be built along this corridor such as the midas plaza then maybe a cover or barrier of some sort might be a thought. Like UD says the Latinda bar on the south side of Bloor as well as the Bang Bang bar on the good weather days are unbearably loud and I live 2 blocks away.

I noticed it several days ago--and finally walked by the site this afternoon but no fotos sorry--the pile driver machine is on site, just in time for new year's!

Looks like work has started. Taken from a car with a bb this am:

Attachments

• address_work.jpg
    address_work.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 384
I was wondering how they were doing work without the shoring permit but it was applied for in Feb '10 and issued late Nov:

Application: Partial Permit Status: Permit Issued

TORONTO M6P 4A8

Ward 14: Parkdale-High Park

Application#: 10 123995 SHO 00 PP Issued Date: Nov 18, 2010

Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res Partial Permit - Shoring

Description: Part Permit - Proposal to construct a 12 sty condo with retail on ground floor and 4 levels of below grade parking. 108 residential units. 1638-1650 BLOOR ST W.

PP Building Inspection Pt3
Inspection Bergen, Fred Contact Info

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Along with a permit for foundation work:

Application: Partial Permit Status: Ready for Issuance

TORONTO M6P 4A8

Ward 14: Parkdale-High Park

Application#: 10 123995 FND 00 PP Accepted Date: Feb 26, 2010

Project: Mixed Use/Res w Non Res Partial Permit - Foundation

Description: Part Permit - Proposal to construct a 12 sty condo with retail on ground floor and 4 levels of below grade parking. 108 residential units. 1638-1650 BLOOR ST W.

PP Zoning Review Mar 22, 2010 Closed
PP Code Review Aug 4, 2010 Closed

Maybe a 2012 move in is still a possibility

I visited the site on family day. The Pile driver looks to be done 3 of the 4 sides. I would love to see digging start by the end of march.

Back