Toronto Ten York Street Condos | 224.02m | 65s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

Real Estate posts are in the thread in the forum section Real Estate "Individual Projects".

As an end-user who was considering this building, I'm okay with the design... yeah it could use a little more excitement with colour... and yeah, I’m a little disappointed that the building isn't taller... but what I'm more concerned about is the lack of balconies on 80% of the units... and how that might affect re-sale values for the whole building in the future. I'm also a little concerned about traffic around this building and what will happen with the Gardiner. So, I'd rather just watch to see what happens rather than live with the experience. And… I'll see what will become of 501 Yonge Street.

I wish Tridel all the best, on achieving its sale targets so it can start construction. And, I hope that all the real estate agents earn commissions selling this fabulous project, which should be given an A+ on achieving greatest in blandless. Once this project is finished maybe Tridel can try again to build something a little wee bit better.

The lack of balconies allows for a clean and sleek and tall shape, which I really like from the front. But I'm sure it also saves them a lot of money. At the very least, it would've been nice to be able to open the windows (juliets?). It's disappointing when you compare it to E.

I think this may end up looking timeless after several years.

Last edited:
I don't like the dummed-down version of the tower, but the podium looks very dynamic and nice.

The lack of balconies will definitely hurt sales, however when you are either that high up or that close to the Gardiner balconies are not as great as they seem.

The floorplans are not bad. Very efficient and all of the bedrooms (with exception to a couple 2-bedroom units) have windows.

I don't like the dummed-down version of the tower, but the podium looks very dynamic and nice.

The lack of balconies will definitely hurt sales, however when you are either that high up or that close to the Gardiner balconies are not as great as they seem.

The floorplans are not bad. Very efficient and all of the bedrooms (with exception to a couple 2-bedroom units) have windows.

I agree.

As for the floorplans, I think they did their best to maximize the units' reasonable usable space, but I wonder if noise will be an issue from elevators and garbage chutes. The layout is pretty nice. ICE looks nicer, but they employed a LOT of sliding doors. Visually, their plans look a lot less cluttered and more appealing.

My wife owned a 21st storey condo that looked directly down on the Gardiner, facing northwest, and we went out on the balcony two times in two years.
It's just too loud and extremely windy to be enjoyable. People make a big deal about balconies but they aren't that practical in that area. She rents out another unit she owns, on the 45th floor facing the Gardiner and the financial district. The balcony is massive and utterly useless. Too windy up there, and you get vertigo.
It's a little better if the balcony faces away from the Gardiner and isn't so high up, as mine on the 14th floor does. It is cut out of a corner of the building, facing the lake, so it has protection from winds in both directions, and the Gardiner.

My wife owned a 21st storey condo that looked directly down on the Gardiner, facing northwest, and we went out on the balcony two times in two years.
It's just too loud and extremely windy to be enjoyable. People make a big deal about balconies but they aren't that practical in that area. She rents out another unit she owns, on the 45th floor facing the Gardiner and the financial district. The balcony is massive and utterly useless. Too windy up there, and you get vertigo.
It's a little better if the balcony faces away from the Gardiner and isn't so high up, as mine on the 14th floor does. It is cut out of a corner of the building, facing the lake, so it has protection from winds in both directions, and the Gardiner.

For smokers, balconies are a must. Practicality differs from person to person. For a lot of people, no balcony is a dealbreaker. I think they tend to detract from the overall aesthetic of buildings, but buyers are the market - not critics like myself. Also - the word you were looking for was acrophobia - not vertigo. (someone with acrophobia has no business living on the 45th floor anyway) Sorry to nitpick, it's just one of those things... (like people saying "presently" when they mean "now" when in fact the word means "soon")

For smokers, balconies are a must. Practicality differs from person to person. For a lot of people, no balcony is a dealbreaker. I think they tend to detract from the overall aesthetic of buildings, but buyers are the market - not critics like myself. Also - the word you were looking for was acrophobia - not vertigo. (someone with acrophobia has no business living on the 45th floor anyway) Sorry to nitpick, it's just one of those things... (like people saying "presently" when they mean "now" when in fact the word means "soon")

Thanks for the lesson. lol. My point was more of an education point for buyers inexperienced in condos next to the Gardiner.
I don't have acrophobia but a guest of my wife's realized such a fear when going out on the 45th floor balcony for the first time. It's an impressive view, but a balcony up there is impractical. I assume most first-time condo buyers don't consider the wicked winds and the car noise in pre-sales. I don't know if this is a fact, but my observation is that it's windier up there than down low... so it defeats the whole marketing campaign of balconies :)

I'd tell first-time buyers to consider which way the balcony faces, the height, the protection available from the building etc. Even in the best situation, a balcony can be a pretty useless feature for 5 months of the Canadian year anyways.

Last edited:
I will tell you one thing. If I had a 45th floor balcony I would be anxious about letting friends going out for cigarettes. Less so out of fear that they will fall - my issue would be my liability if someone carelessly fumbled a glass of water or a plate of food. I do see what you mean about the wind being an issue though.

I'd tell first-time buyers to consider which way the balcony faces, the height, the protection available from the building etc. Even in the best situation, a balcony can be a pretty useless feature for 5 months of the Canadian year anyways.

Smokers use my 24th floor balcony for 12 months of the year, even if it's -35 with windchill or if someone wants to smoke a doob.

i found it so intense to see Aura popping up behind Trump in one of the renders on the PDF! took me a while to figure out what that building was but then, wham!

ya, becoming more and more a fan of the project. the roof slant actually slants on the sides as well.

Ya, the more I look at it, the more I think this will look good for Toronto. Balconies are so messy, unless handled properly.

i found it so intense to see Aura popping up behind Trump in one of the renders on the PDF! took me a while to figure out what that building was but then, wham!

Same here, took me a moment to figure it out. At first I figured the planing department just screwed up putting up a random building in between Trump and FCP lol.

Back