Toronto Ten York Street Condos | 224.02m | 65s | Tridel | Wallman Architects

Hmm, sorry for posting this pic again, but to me it looks like the most elegant one of the bunch.:cool:

izn3M.jpg

It doesn't have much to compete with, although the ice buildings will obviously look a lot better. The kicker is the fact that this tower will be twice the height of all the other ugly buildings (pinnacle, maple leaf square, etc) and so it will block out the view of better looking buildings like fcp, scotia plaza, td centre when viewed from the harbour, the islands, or cherry beach/leslie street spit. Those views are postcard worthy and will be ruined by this craptacular monstrosity. now if this building was an exact clone of shangri-la I wouldn't be complaining, but it's actually got a strip of concrete on both sides that goes straight up the building! That will become dirty in no time and will never be cleaned.

Last edited:
Peepers:

This in a nutshell is why Toronto's skyline is not as impressive as it could be. Decades ago it was decided by some faceless planning department bureaucrat that building heights head to step-down from First Canadian Place which was established as a pinnacle. This has resulted in our tallest and best buildings ending up in a tight bundle centered around King and Bay. This has given us a situation where you can't see the forest for the trees.
Compare this to Chicago where its four super-tall towers are scattered around the downtown, each standing on its own, each unobstructed by others buildings. They can be viewed in their entirety from top to bottom. This results in a much more impressive skyline!

Another example of how city planners have done more harm than good to Toronto.

No offense, but if the impressiveness of the skyline is your priority for the planning department (and be the basis of judgement of its' success or failure), I have a feeling you are utterly out to lunch.

As for this project , as long as the architecture is good why should its height be limited? This is a perfect location for a 1000 ft + tower.

Err, if you haven't noticed, the proponent wasn't even suggesting a 1000ft+ tower to start off with. Are you saying that we should dictate minimum height? Or better yet, what would you consider as adequate criteria for judging what "good" architecture is (not forgetting for moment that until recently it isn't even a valid concern under provincial rules).

I understand that you have some issues around planning, but unless you are willing to provide some literal proof of harm, I would suggest that you refrain from lowering the discourse on here by presenting your wild conjectures as fact.

AoD

Last edited:
It has a very Vancouver /SL feel to it. I'm not a fan. I know Tridel had to cut costs but still.... The area needs some brick, zinc or even creatively designed precast to change the tedious glass wall look.

Some Leftwing types talk about Toronto breaking away from the rest of Ontario, but really, these new condo 'hoods look and feel like totally different cities than Toronto.

So why don't they become new cities:

"Toronto South"

etc.

I agree. The so-called south core is becoming so boring looking. Everything is either the ugly concrete slabs from the 70s, or the greenish all-glass towers like the MLS which look exactly like one another. We all know most of these glass tower will look cheap and tacky in 20 or 30 years.

Toronto south? Why not name is Vancouver since they will look exactly the same :)

I think the buildings should taper off as they go towards the lake. The big picture of Toronto has to look good from all angles. The last rendering shows a building that is way too tall for being that close to the lake. Keep in mind this is reclaimed land. This used to be part of Lake Ontario. Parking is another major issue in that area. Traffic congestion will be at gridlock, if it could get worse than it is now.

If 10 York is going to have transparent glass they should really show how it looks with window blinds :p

Not a fan of this buildng but at this point it doesn't seem like anyone's opinion matters if waterfronttoronto rubberstamped a bland design

I'd have preferred to something besides glass in Vanronto, something like these polycarbonate panels but with bigger windows would be a refreshing change

Ew5ra.png

As well they are bird friendly

I think the buildings should taper off as they go towards the lake. The big picture of Toronto has to look good from all angles. The last rendering shows a building that is b]way too tall for being that close to the lake[/b]. Keep in mind this is reclaimed land. This used to be part of Lake Ontario. Parking is another major issue in that area. Traffic congestion will be at gridlock, if it could get worse than it is now.

Why is this a problem? Seems to have been/will be done in other great cities.

cn_image.size.world-trade-center-01-h670.jpg

Although I suppose the new WTC will be significantly nicer looking than this building. Personally I have no issues with the design, aside from the concrete sidings, which will look nasty within 10 years. It's the interior layout that could've been much improved.

Last edited:
AutomationGallery's photo shows exactly where the Gardiner York/Bay/Yonge Ramp will descend. Plans say it will exit at Lower Simcoe, (think Infinity 3/4 to the north, parking garage to the south) so the downramp east of Lower Simcoe will be gone.

I personally think it will be a great addition to the area.

Only if it, along with Harbour Plaza, it sprouts a slew of restaurants, bars, etc in the harbourfront area. We need an eatery/entertainment area south of Gardiner.

Considering how many condos have and are going to go up in the area, it's a matter of time.

Only if it, along with Harbour Plaza, it sprouts a slew of restaurants, bars, etc in the harbourfront area. We need an eatery/entertainment area south of Gardiner.

Considering how many condos have and are going to go up in the area, it's a matter of time.

The Amsterdam Brewery Pub is moving to Harbourfront soon, so that should help liven things up.

I'm amazed people are giving Ten York a pass.

Even 20 years in the past the tower is mediocre. It has a crown that looks straight out of page one of "90s Condo Architecture for Dummies." The tower seems more interested in pleasing eastbound Gardiner drivers than those from the east, north or south. As the tallest condo in the area it will have a prime spot in postcard shots from the lake and Toronto Islands. Ten York should be bold and dynamic. Think Giraffe or Absolute. Remove the neighbouring buildings from the current render and it looks like it belongs in NYCC.

Last edited:
^^ I have to agree with you there. Buildings that stand out in the skyline and effect the waterfront view, should be expected to be standout buildings. The architecture should be top notch. (and in this case, it isn't) This city needs to raise its standards. Where is the city's architectural review panel, when you need them?

I think a BIG would've looked fantastic here. I'd hire BIG (make it red brick or something colourful) to design a stunning flatiron building for this site.

So my profit margin goes down. But the city--and my development company--would get awesome PR for decades after.

God, the Southcore area is so ugly... I wish they'd reclad MLS. Why are they green? Shouldn't there be at least a little blue and white?

And Ten York needs some colour.

I'm amazed people are giving Ten York a pass.

Even 20 years in the past the tower is mediocre. It has a crown that looks straight out of page one of "90s Condo Architecture for Dummies." The tower seems more interested in pleasing eastbound Gardiner drivers than those from the east, north or south. As the tallest condo in the area it will have a prime spot in postcard shots from the lake and Toronto Islands. Ten York should be bold and dynamic. Think Giraffe or Absolute. Remove the neighbouring buildings from the current render and it looks like it belongs in NYCC.

The model looks nice. It's huge and goes very close to the ceiling at Tridel's HQ. Might have had an effect on people looking at it in person. And of course, the pre-cast won't look quite as bad on a model. The impression I got was a majestic and modern building, with a neat triangular base. It looks like an impossible structure considering the amount of land they have to work with.

Having said that, I declined a spot on the pre-sale because I found another with better interior layout.

Last edited:

Back