Toronto Telus House - 25 York Street | 136.24m | 30s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

Aug 24

IMG_aug_24-09-0145.jpg

IMG_aug_24-09-0139.jpg

IMG_aug_24-09-0133.jpg

IMG_aug_24-09-0146.jpg

it's only a matter of time before some hydro or telecom company comes along and cuts into this thing to run some wires, and then refills it all with asphalt

On private property? I'm sure the owners would fix it after they were done. THe city is different. They don't fix things right away.

it's only a matter of time before some hydro or telecom company comes along and cuts into this thing to run some wires, and then refills it all with asphalt

Nope, as they put in all kind of duct work a couple months ago running from ACC to the street where the fence is. It was a huge bank and if you look back in the thread, I posted photo's of them.

I don't seriously expect that to happen. Just sharing my negativity after seeing it all over the city.

Just recently on Wellington street between John and clarence square, some company (i believe it was enwave.. or a contractor for them) cut up the freshly repaved street and sidewalk and filled it all in with asphalt. The sidewalk had some interlocking bricks running beside the pavement sidewalk slabs.... for the entire length of the street (on the north side). It looked quite nice.

When the contractors came to carve it all up they actually pulled up the bricks and made a nice pile of them... so I thought they might actually lay them back down. But of course, they just patched it all up with asphalt and it looks terrible. How exactly are they allowed to get away with this??

I don't seriously expect that to happen. Just sharing my negativity after seeing it all over the city.

When the contractors came to carve it all up they actually pulled up the bricks and made a nice pile of them... so I thought they might actually lay them back down. But of course, they just patched it all up with asphalt and it looks terrible. How exactly are they allowed to get away with this??

It seems that all over the city when the contractor is done they cap it with asphalt, which makes me think that again its the citys job to hire another contracter/crew to do the pavement. Problem is, it usually takes another year or two to get it finished.

It seems that all over the city when the contractor is done they cap it with asphalt, which makes me think that again its the citys job to hire another contracter/crew to do the pavement. Problem is, it usually takes another year or two to get it finished.

The way it is SUPPOSED to work is that anyone who digs up the street or sidewalk is supposed to get a 'utility cut permit" from the City and the permit fee is supposed to cover the cost of the permanent repair. The contractor making the hole is supposed to fill it in (usually with asphalt) and it is then allowed to settle so that when the City - or the contractor hired to repair utility cuts - makes the final repair it won't settle more. Usually the permanent repair is done about 6 months after the first hole was made so a utility cut made in, say, March may be fixed permanently the same year. If a cut is made in November the permanent repair will not be made until the next year. Of course, some cuts are made without permits (so the City has to use City money to fix them) and even some made with permits (and thus the City has $$ to fix them) do not get finally fixed for years.

Daily Commercial News

Menkes Toronto office tower reaches for the top
September 2, 2009

120.jpg

WILLIAM CONWAY/PROGRESS PHOTOGRAPHY

Work continues on a new office tower at 25 York Street in Toronto.

Menkes Developments Inc. began the 30-storey tower, which includes a five-level podium, in September 2006. Completion has been scheduled for November 2009.

The 25 York Street office tower was designed by Adamson Associates Architects/Sweeny Sterling Finlayson & Co. Architects Inc. Consultant are: Stephenson Engineering Ltd. (structural); The Mitchell Partnership (mechanical); Mulvey & Banani International Inc. (electrical); and MBTW Landscape Architects. Subtrades include: Premform Ltd. (formwork); Harris Omer (rebar supply); Geo. A. Kelson Co. Ltd. (mechanical); Plan Electric; Camino (raised access floor); Kone Elevators; and Antamex (curtainwall).

http://www.dailycommercialnews.com/article/id35152

Back