Toronto Telus House - 25 York Street | 136.24m | 30s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

How can you possibly be speculating so negatively about something which has yet to be constructed and which few of us know might look like? This is ridiculous. And where's the crane for 1Bloor?

How can you possibly be speculating so negatively about something which has yet to be constructed and which few of us know might look like? This is ridiculous. And where's the crane for 1Bloor?

??? The mechanical penthouse has been constructed. And we are making our comments on it. What are YOU talking about?

I actually like the mechanical box + roof treatment in general. I like how the east/west elevations are open because of the way it allows a view of the structural steel holding up the fins, but if the mechanical box had been hidden or incorporated below then it would look funny having that vast open space between the two fins.

I agree that maybe the box would look even better if it were clad in black to match the podium, but then that might also make it look too heavy.

I actually like the mechanical box + roof treatment in general. I like how the east/west elevations are open because of the way it allows a view of the structural steel holding up the fins, but if the mechanical box had been hidden or incorporated below then it would look funny having that vast open space between the two fins.
Exactly. What people fail to consider is that if the fins did go all the way around, they wouldn't look like fins anymore.... it would just look like the building is that much taller.

IMG_sept-16-09-0007.jpg

IMG_sept-15-09-0209.jpg

IMG_sept-15-09-0213.jpg

IMG_sept-15-09-0222.jpg

Seems less and less likely that there will be a spire added. I'm not sure this should surprise anyone though since the latest renderings of the tower here are missing the spire.

Last edited:
If indeed the spire is installed, it probably wouldn't have been a great idea to erect it with a crane swinging around directly in it's path. Now that the crane is being disassembled, let's sit back, relax and see what happens.

Though I can't confirm definitively whether a spire will be included or not, I can say that one has been included in the construction drawings so it's basically up to Menkes now.

I still don't understand the lack of attention to detail when it comes to the mechanical boxes on the roofs of buildings? The AGO did the same thing, choosing not to clad the elevator and mechanical boxes on the roofs in blue titanium like the rest of the building. At least, in Telus' defence, the box is of a similar colour to the rest of the building and will probably be blended out. But why they couldn't follow the example of the CCBR building at UofT- an absolutely perfect and simple, yet refined execution!!

shee-shive

Back