Toronto Telus House - 25 York Street | 136.24m | 30s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

Re: Telus announces new office tower in downtown Toronto

isn't Simcoe Place the most recently built significant office tower in the CBD?

I'd have thought Canada Life was, but no one reads the Star for accuracy.

I would suggest that Canada Life and the Maritime Life or I guess it is Manulife now towers are not 'major' office towers. Simcoe could be considered a make work project by the provincial government in the depths of the recession. These 3 new projects are the first major private sector led office developments since 1992.

I recall that when Maritime Life was being built, it was hailed as the first major private office development in decades. It was echoed in all major newspapers, as well as by the city. That was just a few years ago.

Thus, I call bullshit on the grandiose statements of Brookfield, Menkes, and Cadillac Fairview. They're certainly the largest since the early 90s, but certainly not the first major office development since then.

Lets not attribute to malace that can better be attributed to JOURNALISTIC INCOMPETANCE.

Simcoe Place in any other Province is a make work project. In Toronto at best it was a drop in the bucket.

They're certainly the largest since the early 90s, but certainly not the first major office development since then.

Canada Life, Maritime Life, Rogers campus expansion and Transamerica in NYCC have all been recent additions.

I find newspapers like to make their articles sound a little less dull by making large and grandiose statements (Which shouldn't surprise anyone). Which sounds better: "First new office tower in close to 15 years to grace skyline", or "First new tower since 2001 to be built"

Although I'm glad to see a tower go up here, this design provokes more grim mirth than respect. It's such an obvious ripoff of the new NYT tower in New York - at such a comically dwarfish scale....well, it's hardly a landmark.
It should be at least half again as tall, especially given the height of Maple Leaf Square across the street, and the empty space of the tracks to the north.
My main concern, apart from the tower itself, is how well the base will work regarding access, and whether or not it will provide a fitting entrance into Union Station from the south.

This design has been around for a while. Are we sure its a copy of the NYT tower?

As long as it looks ok, who cares if it's a ripoff?

Far better to have a building that takes its design cues from NYC and gets called the Telus Tower, than a building that takes its design cues from Mississauga, and gets called "The Battery Park" or some damn thing.

I agree. I hope it has a decent entrance to Union Station, and not hidden.

Judging from the press release, the connection is through the area, via its tunnel to the station. Simple and efficient.

I did a floor count and I counted 25 storeys above the podium. And that podium doesn't look like 5 storeys. Maybe this is an old render for a shorter version of the building.

Back