Toronto Telus House - 25 York Street | 136.24m | 30s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

I never said that I had issue with the pillars. Who would take issue with pillars?

I take issue with the material they used-- same as the exterior. It just looks cheap. Even if they used similar materials it would be fine-- but at least make the plastic/metal casings fit together properly... I bet you can see screws exposed. Which for an interior isn't very flattering.

I will have to see it in person though-- enough from me!

Simple but very pretty - I like it. I agree that the picture of the people along the wall does feel dated.

According to the Union Station District Plan, a second north-south connection is planned to extend through the middle of Union Station, roughly in alignment with the current VIA central concourse. This new pedestrian connection would line up with the newly built Union Station entrance on the south side facing ACC, just east of Telus Tower, as pictured below:

4076310851_0d2695ffb0.jpg

A plan from PE's earlier post confirms that the "walking people" poster wall is permanant, as mechanical + utility rooms are located behind that wall. In fact, the ultimate concourse will be half the current width as the south half are supposed to be retail space in the future (note where the pillars are) ~

I read on here previously that the picture was temporary, that's why I thought it was. Unfortunate that it's not so temporary. It can be changed in the future very easily I'm sure though.

i'm really sick and tired of the lack of funky colours in office lobbies due to the minimal advantage it gives during negotiations. ugh.

I suppose the mural can indeed be replaced with another piece in the future, hence it is not 'permanent' by definition =D

however, the mural wall itself is here to stay and it won't be a retail unit at that location, nor will it be a future connection north to Union Station

Well, nothing is forever - but I think Awad's mural and Rokeby's suspended sculpture work quite well in that space. I still haven't been up to the Science Centre to check out Cloud though - it makes me think of Troika's sculpture of the same name at Heathrow ... and goodness knows when we'll hear what they're doing for the Corus building.

According to the Union Station District Plan, a second north-south connection is planned to extend through the middle of Union Station, roughly in alignment with the current VIA central concourse. This new pedestrian connection would line up with the newly built Union Station entrance on the south side facing ACC, just east of Telus Tower, as pictured below:

A plan from PE's earlier post confirms that the "walking people" poster wall is permanant, as mechanical + utility rooms are located behind that wall. In fact, the ultimate concourse will be half the current width as the south half are supposed to be retail space in the future (note where the pillars are) ~

Hmm I kind of enjoy the open space. Seem like it would be ruined by a bunch of retail, that arguably will be duplicated in Union's new lower concourse.

Here are a few links to Awad's work:

http://www.metiviergallery.com/artist_collection.php?artist=awad&collection=photographs

http://www.contactphoto.com/view.php?eventid=561

http://www.ciac.ca/biennale2007/en/awad-m.html

http://www.ago.net/michael-awad

With audio:

http://www.massartguide.com/audio/200809_michael_awad_toronto_on.php

Awad explains how he produces the images:

http://flow.doorsofperception.com/content/awad_trans.html

In highly detailed composite photographs, Michael Awad creates abstract urban landscapes by capturing a perceptual and temporal experience of moving through the city. Described as “interpretive and cinematic”, these photographs are produced with moving, still and panoramic cameras. Michael Awad holds a Masters of Architecture and he explores the difference between our perception and definition of space.
Museum exhibitions include The Entire City Project at the Art Gallery of Ontario (2006) and Substitute City at the Power Plant Contemporary Art Gallery in Toronto (2001). Commissions include include large-scale photographs at Toronto International Airport and the Schulich School of Business. In 2002 Awad was selected to represent Canada at the Venice Architectural Biennale, and he was commissioned by the Art Gallery of Hamilton to design the Canadian pavilion at the 2004 Visual Art Biennale in Sao Paulo.

COMMISSIONED WORKS:
2008 130 Bloor Street West The Entire City Project: the Village of Yorkville
St. Michael’s Hospital The Entire City Project: St. Michael’s Hospital,
Toronto
2005 Art Gallery of Ontario Entire City Project
TTC / City of Toronto Yonge Street - West Side
The Canadian Consulate of Chicago Five Cities
2004 Schulich School of Business, York University Bay Street Rush Hour
The Canadian Consulate of Chicago 5 Cities Exhibition
Art Gallery of Hamilton Canadian Pavilion, Sao Paulo Biennale 2004
2002 Canada Council of the Arts Next Memory City – Canadian pavilion at the
Venice Architectural Biennale

Here are some quick cellphone pictures. I think Nickelback was playing the ACC. I know, I shuttered too.

The entrance:
4503374539_ecc6bb93d4_b.jpg

The inside looking out:
4503373971_acb8a93d03_b.jpg

Though far from the creative potential that this had, it's quite nice looking and fills in a blatant void that was crying out for a Union Station entrance. Good stuff.

It could have been a grand new entrance, but it has been thoroughly watered down. The grey sign just doesn't stand out against the grey or neutral glass background. There should have been more at least two more doors, and taller ones at that. The large amount of grey framing around the doors looks cheap too.

It'd be nice if the 'Union Station' backlighting had changeable colours. That seems like a simple touch that could add some interest.

The doors could definitely be bigger and more dramatic. And have more of them. But I guess that can change later (or not).

Back