Toronto TeaHouse 501 Yonge Condominiums | 170.98m | 52s | Lanterra | a—A

ProjectEnd is a long time member who has inside sources and has never led us astray before. His opinion is to be trusted. Can I suggest we all take a long breath and wait for proper renders to be released before screaming bloody hell.

Also granted (if you say so) but that should not mean his lack of civility and abusive nature should be condoned. His tenure should not entitle him to vitriolic rants at other members. No amount of seniority should bestow that privilege.

ProjectEnd is a long time member who has inside sources and has never led us astray before. His opinion is to be trusted. Can I suggest we all take a long breath and wait for proper renders to be released before screaming bloody hell.

Ed as a Christian I take offense to your gratuitous use of the word "hell" and I have notified the Human Rights Commission.

The rest of you have charges of libel to defend.

And for ProjectEnd, you have violated your confidentiality agreement and will be summarily let go.

Now, let us carry on.

The prospect of Bay street style development invading Yonge street should scare anyone who has spent remotely any time walking along both streets. If you like long stretches of minimalist street wall dotted with a few sandwich stores and dry cleaners, then there's plenty of that on Bay. If, like me, you like messy, vibrant streets packed full of small businesses, where martial arts studios are squeezed between tacky souvenir shops and cheap sushi places, then you have a reason to be worried. This has nothing to do with the height of buildings. However, dropping a Murano clone on this block – no matter how much people have drooled over its architectural merit on this forum – would do as much to kill the street life on Yonge as the destruction of the Empress Hotel.

Then again, it isn't like the ex-Westbury (or as I call it now, the Rape Of The Westbury) to the south is much "better" on that front. (Former) Dickinson purity and aA purity aren't that dissimilar in the end...

Then again, it isn't like the ex-Westbury (or as I call it now, the Rape Of The Westbury) to the south is much "better" on that front. (Former) Dickinson purity and aA purity aren't that dissimilar in the end...

That's a straw man argument. The ex-Westbury (i.e. 475 Yonge Street) is exactly the kind of development I'm worried about invading Yonge: long stretches of tinted glass nothingness. Chances are that from a pedestrian perspective the new 501 Yonge will look and feel a lot more like the ex-Westbury than the current 501 Yonge.

The prospect of Bay street style development invading Yonge street should scare anyone who has spent remotely any time walking along both streets. If you like long stretches of minimalist street wall dotted with a few sandwich stores and dry cleaners, then there's plenty of that on Bay. If, like me, you like messy, vibrant streets packed full of small businesses, where martial arts studios are squeezed between tacky souvenir shops and cheap sushi places, then you have a reason to be worried. This has nothing to do with the height of buildings. However, dropping a Murano clone on this block – no matter how much people have drooled over its architectural merit on this forum – would do as much to kill the street life on Yonge as the destruction of the Empress Hotel.

... but really, unless there are some preservation measures put into place what is there left really to curb the inevitable? For every Five there will be a 501 and let's face it the 501 is the easier, cheaper and less inspired solution.

... but really, unless there are some preservation measures put into place what is there left really to curb the inevitable? For every Five there will be a 501 and let's face it the 501 is the easier, cheaper and less inspired solution.

And there lies the problem.
Great arguments above by Silence&Motion, I couldn't agree more.

That's a straw man argument. The ex-Westbury (i.e. 475 Yonge Street) is exactly the kind of development I'm worried about invading Yonge: long stretches of tinted glass nothingness. Chances are that from a pedestrian perspective the new 501 Yonge will look and feel a lot more like the ex-Westbury than the current 501 Yonge.

It's a straw man argument if you're strictly referring to its present state (i.e. The Rape Of The Westbury, as I call it). However, I'm also, if not even more so, referring to its former Dickinsonian state

5054462468_cb3d7bfd39.jpg

which, if you want to be *really* picky, was the original "street life killer", because it clashed so utterly (and deliberately) with the strip-retail Victoriana and honky-tonk around it.

I remember in about the mid 90's after Ho-Jo's was done with these buildings there was a group who were planning on converting these to condos. We went to the showroom and looked at the plans but didn't like any of them. It never happened of course.

I remember in about the mid 90's after Ho-Jo's was done with these buildings there was a group who were planning on converting these to condos. We went to the showroom and looked at the plans but didn't like any of them. It never happened of course.

I remember that. I too saw those plans. The layouts sucked.

In the late 90's early 00's I lived at 31 Alexander for three years and was there for most of the second half of the conversion to the Marriott. What a lot of noise they made! We all complained about the early starts and late finishes to construction. They never obeyed the rules.

^As does your smug condescension and abusive posts laced with personal attacks and not proper debating technique, which is limited to counterpointing the facts of an argument not insults.

Your behaviour is even worse than those who have not seen the "real deal" with their own eyes. You claim to have inside information and instead of enlightening everyone with your superior knowledge, you berate them for not being informed. Which is partially your own fault because you won't divulge what you know.

That is called Narcissistic Tyranny. You keep your subjects uneducated and then laud it over them that they are ignorant, in order to inflate your own sense of self importance.

Let me introduce you to a concept known as Noblesse Oblige: The idea that those blessed with great wealth, social standing or knowledge, should (though generosity of spirit) be kind to those less fortunate.

So you see nothing wrong with clogging up multiple threads with silly complaints about buildings posters haven't seen, by architects for whom they have nothing but disdain? If you're insisting on "proper debating technique" why not call out Big Daddy for refusing to listen to those who have on several occasions politely informed him that what's in the document isn't final. He instead disregards 'the facts' and chooses to post long-winded, poorly-written orations informing all who care to listen of the impending doom. How is one supposed to 'counterpoint the facts' when none are presented?

Refer to marcus_a_j's post for an answer as to why many on UT cannot speak about projects on which they're working. To that point though, your suggestion that I 'berate' other forum members for not knowing what I know(?) is just plain wrong. I'd like to see some proof of this or you'll risk loosing credibility for lying.

I'm not even going to touch the paternalistic inferences of your final point, but in the end it's you that looks like a clown as you immediately jump to that sort of language after lecturing me about "smug condescension." Furthermore, you refuse to countenance the fact that few in your little 'aA-is-the-devil-and-therefore-we-don't-need-to-see-anything-because-it'll-just-suck' army have adhered to the posting procedure you lay out. Facts? Who needs em,' it's Clewes-less (tee-hee-hee) so why wait before releasing the Kraken?

That's good to know, but how can a developer get away with proposing a design in the site plan application that doesn't actually reflect the true design?

It's because you're applying for the right to build to certain dimensions and densities, not to build a particular building. Granted, the city does like knowing what's going up and insists that applications include line drawings, but the application itself primarily establishes that 'Building A' contains certain number of units and is of a certain size (among many other details). Beyond the design review panel, the city doesn't have much say over what developers and their architects can do aesthetically.

Oh, my post is “vituperation� What does that make your little diatribe?

I’ll admit I was a little over the top but really, if you believe you know something the rest of us don’t, why not clue us in? The reality is you don’t know anything more than the rest of us - and probably less - but would like make us think that you are somehow “connected†when truly you are not.

(good word though, "vituperation", who looked it up for you?)

My 'little diatribe' was an effort to drill the fact that you're passionately arguing against something about which you know nothing into your thick skull. The reality is that I do know more than you and churlish remarks to the contrary only make you look like more of a buffoon. As I and numerous others have stated in this and the 40 Scott St. thread: This. Is. Not. The. Final. Design.

Also granted (if you say so) but that should not mean his lack of civility and abusive nature should be condoned. His tenure should not entitle him to vitriolic rants at other members. No amount of seniority should bestow that privilege.

I agree wholeheartedly that we should all be civil here, but I won't be drowned by pusillanimous sycophancy and therefore won't hesitate to confront a member if he or she insists on making an uninformed opinion known. Again, I'd like some proof of said 'vitriolic rants' but since I know there's none, I'll just chalk that up to the 'ProjectEND berates other forum members' cavern of lies.

What you don't seem to get is that you gain respect by posting accurately, contributing as much as you can, and listening to those who want to share what they can about something they know. You're particular talent lies in producing those fantastic renders everyone loves so much. We all appreciate your hard work as few of us have your skill. Likewise, I would love to spill the beans about what 501 Yonge looks like, but the reality is that it's not my building and I therefore have to respect those whose design it is when they ask that I not divulge its form. I do share what I can and if you want some easy proof of this, check the first post in the Theater Park thread.

I kind of skimmed all that, but Project End does suggest a point that most objections to the proposal are based on aesthetic considerations, whereas the only piece of information we have about the project is a utilitarian document that has absolutely nothong to do with aesthetics. I suggest, as have others, that we wait until someone presents something intended to represent what it will be like to actually experience this building.

On the other hand, considering the high profile of the site, you might argue that the developer should already be on the ball with such a presentation.

This is too hilarious...

... To that point though, your suggestion that I 'berate' other forum members for not knowing what I know(?) is just plain wrong. I'd like to see some proof of this or you'll risk loosing credibility for lying.

The following in bold , from the exact same post of yours, is the proof of insults and berating you just asked me to provide.

I'm not even going to touch the paternalistic inferences of your final point, but in the end it's you that looks like a clown as you immediately jump to that sort of language after lecturing me about "smug condescension." Furthermore, you refuse to countenance the fact that few in your little 'aA-is-the-devil-and-therefore-we-don't-need-to-see-anything-because-it'll-just-suck' army have adhered to the posting procedure you lay out. Facts? Who needs em,' it's Clewes-less (tee-hee-hee) so why wait before releasing the Kraken?

My 'little diatribe' was an effort to drill the fact that you're passionately arguing against something about which you know nothing into your thick skull. The reality is that I do know more than you and churlish remarks to the contrary only make you look like more of a buffoon. As I and numerous others have stated in this and the 40 Scott St. thread:This. Is. Not. The. Final. Design.

I agree wholeheartedly that we should all be civil here, but I won't be drowned by pusillanimous sycophancy and therefore won't hesitate to confront a member if he or she insists on making an uninformed opinion known. Again, I'd like some proof of said 'vitriolic rants' but since I know there's none, I'll just chalk that up to the 'ProjectEND berates other forum members' cavern of lies. ...

This whole thing was a vitriolc rant. There is the proof you need.

(Also a glaring proof of narcissistic paranoia. "The world is out to get me and they all have conspired against me with their cavern of lies." )

Last edited:
...why not call out Big Daddy for refusing to listen to those who have on several occasions politely informed him that what's in the document isn't final.
I’m well aware there is a process, however, as you pointed out, there is only so much the city can do and as such I wanted to make my thoughts clear about the current project design
your suggestion that I 'berate' other forum members for not knowing what I know(?) is just plain wrong. I'd like to see some proof of this or you'll risk loosing (sp?) credibility for lying.
..............so why wait before releasing the Kraken?
My 'little diatribe' was an effort to drill the fact that you're passionately arguing against something about which you know nothing into your thick skull.

.....The reality is that I do know more than you and churlish remarks to the contrary only make you look like more of a buffoon

I agree wholeheartedly that we should all be civil here, but I won't be drowned by pusillanimous sycophancy and therefore won't hesitate to confront a member if he or she insists on making an uninformed opinion known.

.........Again, I'd like some proof of said 'vitriolic rants' but since I know there's none, I'll just chalk that up to the 'ProjectEND berates other forum members' cavern of lies.

Good Lord that was practically a whole page! Did you honestly spend, what, an hour or so just lambasting people who’s opinion doesn’t conform to your own? You have way too much time on your hands and far too much anger in your system. Either you have been doubling up on your meds or you should be.

You have issues dude.

You want to talk about credibility?

Back