Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

I agree AG. I think Canada as a whole, and especially Toronto. has embraced condo culture. As long as they keep building out, we will keep building up. Its proven to be a viable alternative to sprawling subdivisions, and frontage road cul de sacs. That culture wasn"t built over night, nor will it disappear overnight.
Middle of the road housing condo towers, are here to stay. Housing always ebbs and flows, but this has become a sizable % of the market, and as, such that demand will get this built!

I doubt it...thats a whole different world down there when it comes to condo sales in Toronto
expect this one to be in the market by early next year

I'd tend to agree. While I'm sure sales will slump overall in the GTA, especially compared to a massive record year, when you break the GTA market into micro-markets, certain districts in the downtown area will continue pre-sales at a good pace.

I'd tend to agree. While I'm sure sales will slump overall in the GTA, especially compared to a massive record year, when you break the GTA market into micro-markets, certain districts in the downtown area will continue pre-sales at a good pace.

This and Ten York... will be great additions to the SouthCore. Investors will be lined up for days to snatch up these units so that they can make millions overnight... and eventually lots of people will enjoy living in this awesome location... This is the new center of Toronto. :)

90 HARBOUR ST
Site Plan Approval 12 142177 STE 28 SA Ward 28
- Tor & E.York Mar 23, 2012 --- --- --- ---
PROPERTY KNOWN AS BOTH 90 Harbour and 1 York St. Site Plan Approval Application - proposing 3 buildings (1 office tower and 2 residential buildings). Office tower 37 stories. Two residential buildings 70 stories each with a total of 1413 dwelling units for both buildings. Shared parking with office and residential - 4 levels below grade - 800 parking spaces.

Anyone get the feeling this project won't be completed 'til after 2020?

It's so unpredictable with a project this size and at such a preliminary stage of development and this point of the construction boom. Their best bet is that when this launches, that the Chinese investors are still interested and market it to them fiercely (like Cityplace). Of course there's always the post sales concerns such as financing which presented us with the death of Bazis' 1 Bloor plan. Let's hope for the best for this project.

I agree AG. I think Canada as a whole, and especially Toronto. has embraced condo culture. As long as they keep building out, we will keep building up. Its proven to be a viable alternative to sprawling subdivisions, and frontage road cul de sacs. That culture wasn"t built over night, nor will it disappear overnight.
Middle of the road housing condo towers, are here to stay. Housing always ebbs and flows, but this has become a sizable % of the market, and as, such that demand will get this built!

Toronto embaced condo culture 40 years ago. The problem with today that emulates those of the late 80s, early 90s is the unprecedented amount of speculation driving prices well past inflation. We aren't talking long term investment either as income earned from the properties will likely not cover the costs. Many of those buying are hoping to profit strictly through reselling.

Certain sub-market will perform much better than others and, of course, high rise apartment ownership is here to stay however, to suggest the volatility of the condo high-rise markets (partly pricepoint attracting investors, partly the ability to satisfy demand by building taller) has been squashed is naive and, yeah, the likeliest outlook when the cycle turns is a lot of lost shirts and a period of next to nothing being built. I doubt we'll benefit from an NDP government fulfilling our construction needs through non-market housing this time around.

It's so unpredictable with a project this size and at such a preliminary stage of development and this point of the construction boom. Their best bet is that when this launches, that the Chinese investors are still interested and market it to them fiercely (like Cityplace). Of course there's always the post sales concerns such as financing which presented us with the death of Bazis' 1 Bloor plan. Let's hope for the best for this project.

Yeah, but i think Menkes is in a different position today than Bazis was back then....they have a good and better relationship with Canadian banks, they are a well established developer in this city that dont jump on to many things at the same time...

Regarding doom and gloom in the Toronto condo/office market and construction industry, ill predict that might happen after the Pan Am games, say 2016-17...for now its all good times. And yes, this development will probably be topping off when "the shit is about to hit the fan"

Last edited:
According to LeftCoaster of SSP:

In addition to the extra height word is the office component down at 90 harbour will be built on spec so we wont have to wait around for a lead tenant or two to sign on.

015.jpg
014.jpg
013.jpg

not sure if these pics were ever posted

Attachments

• 015.jpg
    015.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 445
  • 014.jpg
    014.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 448
  • 013.jpg
    013.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 454
no those weren't, and i suddenly like this poject a whole lot more! they squared off one of the towers, and blandifyed the office building. a couple downgrades, but the condo towers look a whole lot more interesting now!

Last edited:
I was looking forward to a rounded tower :(. Ah well, these are still quite preliminary so with more detail I can form a better opinion later.

I was also hoping to see what an aA office tower would look like, but it looks like the office component has been at least in part handled by &co, and they have given us a Telus House II. (Not necessarily a bad thing!).

I know it is still very early but it is utterly dissapointing to see such uninspired architecture at such a prominent location. The round tower looked good and would have helped the skyline but now I think these two boxes are too tall.
Well, we will see how these look when better renderings come out. Hopefully they are more interesting then how they look now.

Back