Toronto Sun Life Financial Tower & Harbour Plaza Residences | 236.51m | 67s | Menkes | Sweeny &Co

Yeah, this is really weird. It just dead ends straight into a concrete floor and pillar. The floor isn't flush but sits about 2 feet up. So how's that going to work??? All of a sudden you'll have to step up into the building?

photo.JPG

It's not finished. The OBC and the Ontarians with Disabilities Act do not allow stairs if a ramp is not also provided.

It could be that the height of the Gardiner limits where the bridge can connect (thus necessitating an interior stair / ramp) or merely that the adjustable jacks controlling the bridge have not been extended to their full height.

The grade change will be handled within the Sun Life complex. It's about a metre or so that the PATH level will rise upon entering it. You can see in Hawc's photo how thin the slab is at the northeast corner. The walkway is flush with that.

Yeah, a pedestrian walkway within Harbour Plaza will be created amid all the construction chaos to guide people through to Waterpark Place. The entire PATH bridge, from the ACC to RBC, should be ready for October.

Actually walked through today. No sign of an elevator anywhere. Now that could be a problem! Presumably there's something with the ACC area - but that's not publicly accessible for those coming from south of the Gardiner.

There's a new elevator being constructed outside ACC on the square. It's attached to the west ACC facade, and is already clad in the same glass as the facade, so it blends in. It's been discussed before on UT.

That's correct, and you can see of photo of it in this front page story with more details on the PATH extension to RBC WPP III here.

It's not finished. The OBC and the Ontarians with Disabilities Act do not allow stairs if a ramp is not also provided.
And yet the existing and relatively recent PATH connection to Maple Leaf Square had not publicly accessible alternative other than stairs. I'm not sure how that could have ever have happened!

There's a new elevator being constructed outside ACC on the square. It's attached to the west ACC facade, and is already clad in the same glass as the facade, so it blends in. It's been discussed before on UT.
Ah, I'd missed that. Near the stairs then? I thought that was just the new RealSports store. Presumably that would lead directly to the ground level concourse near the ticket sales area, rather than forcing wheelchairs to go outside?

No, it's near the top of the stairs and connects just behind the big steel sculpture. And unless there's a new breezeway being built I believe wheelchairs will have to go outside for a little stretch.

A tunnel is scheduled to be dug between Maple Leaf Square and Ãce in late 2015.

At the north end of the Longo's there are some individual shops/fast food outlets that are divided off on the own. It would connect to somewhere there. I'm not sure if they can do it by just closing one of those, or maybe it'll be just to the north of all of them.

Personally I'd rather see it be redesigned as a Plus 15 bridge coming off the dull-as-dishwater second floor galleria in Maple Leaf Square, but they're not asking me. The York Street closure during the tunnel dig is going to be incredibly popular with drivers.

Personally I'd rather see it be redesigned as a Plus 15 bridge coming off the dull-as-dishwater second floor galleria in Maple Leaf Square, but they're not asking me. The York Street closure during the tunnel dig is going to be incredibly popular with drivers.

If the developer decides that tunnel is more expensive than bridge they may decide to change the plans.

At the north end of the Longo's there are some individual shops/fast food outlets that are divided off on the own. It would connect to somewhere there. I'm not sure if they can do it by just closing one of those, or maybe it'll be just to the north of all of them.

The podium and galleria in MLS are certainly more conducive to a +15 connection but I doubt Lanterra or aA would want to compromise the purity of Ice's podium. It's far more of an 'object' than the former.

Back