Toronto Sugar Wharf Condominiums (Phase 1) | 231m | 70s | Menkes | a—A

That glass is looking pretty clear and high-quality to me. I'm wondering if it's low-iron. Does anyone know?

I agree, it looks great, but sadly, that is not what will be used for the tower. I just don't understand how a city like Montreal is able to clad nearly all of their residential buildings in curtainwall while we still use inferior horrible looking (and performing) window wall. I've said it before, and I'll say it again, the city needs to MANDATE curtain wall for new projects above a certain number of units. Yes, there are nuances to work out, like specific types, possible loop holes, etc., but the current system is clearly failing this city, and I don't understand why so many people even on Urban Toronto are happy with the status quo. Wasn't there a new bylaw regarding the percentage of a building's cladding that could be glass vs. insulation etc. which led to an increase in spandrel? Why can't we have different percentages based on the r value of the cladding used (or some other metric)? Maybe buyers don't care now whether a building is clad in curtain wall vs. window wall, but I bet they'd care if the curtain wall building included larger windows...

Keeping my fingers crossed for this one, but with wraparound balconies, I have a predisposition to hate the design, even if the quality is decent. Maybe they'll pull an Ice and make it look good regardless, but there are far more examples to the contrary.

Well I'm no glazing expert, but it looks pretty reflective to me.

Wharf1.jpg

Wharf2.jpg

Meanwhile at the NW corner...

Wharf3.jpg

Wharf4.jpg

Wharf5.jpg

Wharf6.jpg

Wharf7.jpg

Installing the next panel...

Wharf8.jpg

Wow! Very rich looking charcoal grey cladding to blend in with windows for the podium ! As you can see in the photos up above !

True but whose expectations... those involved with the project building, and or, to eventually work in it? or ours as building geeks? I’d say it is more a matter of false advertising renders... many depict things one way only to look way different. I’ll edit this when I remember the name of one just built in the city. It’s nothing like its render depicted it to look. But I get that’s just advertising does. Bait and switch. Theory condos... horrid outcome compared to what it suggested it was going to look. I know beating a dead horse over those in charge of renderings of what’s to be built.

Last edited:

Back