News   Jul 25, 2024
 734     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 660     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 504     0 

Toronto Street Lights

The current arc light fixtures are fitted with metal-halide lights, which is a somewhat harsher white light, but much more efficient and the contemporary alternative to the ugly off-orange high-pressure sodium lights.

LED lighting and other technologies are being tested by Toronto Hydro as part of the ALAMP program.

http://www.torontohydroenergy.com/alamp.html

Toronto's older street lights...

Shon: Good link-it answered some questions I had on preserving these older classic Toronto street lights...thanks! LI MIKE

The current arc light fixtures are fitted with metal-halide lights, which is a somewhat harsher white light, but much more efficient and the contemporary alternative to the ugly off-orange high-pressure sodium lights.

LED lighting and other technologies are being tested by Toronto Hydro as part of the ALAMP program.

I hope this doesn't mean that they're going to get rid of the existing curved bracket lights as shown in the picture on page 1.

Are you serious?

yes. there's a nice stretch of poles of that style along eglinton just west of yonge.

is there any plan to get rid of those dreary sodium lights?

What the hell is MargieChristina? I'm not fluent in pretentiousness.

Margie & Christina Zeidler, they who helped make the Gladstone what it is today.

Next thing you know, you're going to tell us you don't know who Jane Jacobs is...

Margie & Christina Zeidler, they who helped make the Gladstone what it is today.

Next thing you know, you're going to tell us you don't know who Jane Jacobs is...

Why would I know who some obscure locals are?

Does anyone have any info on these light standards? I noticed them on the weekend and haven't ever seen them anywhere else in the city. They're located at Sherbourne and Queen.

y8e7.jpg

6akl.jpg

s9hp.jpg

My apologizes for the small pic, the site just sucks when it comes to uploading bigger pics :(

Attachments

• y8e7.jpg
    y8e7.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 396
  • 6akl.jpg
    6akl.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 406
  • s9hp.jpg
    s9hp.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 406
Last edited:
Does anyone have any info on these light standards? I noticed them on the weekend and haven't ever seen them anywhere else in the city. They're located at Sherbourne and Queen.

My apologizes for the small pic, the site just sucks when it comes to uploading bigger pics :(

These are the "Tall Victorians and are in the City Streetscape manual as L-s33 When the City and BIA redid Front Street last summer it is mainly low Victorians but in places where tall poles were necessary they got these luminaires. I think similar lighting is going on The Esplanade soon and they are scattered around in St Lawrence neighbourhood, often in front of heritage buildings - see some on King at St Lawrence Hall.

Back