Toronto Strachan Avenue Overpass | ?m | ?s | Metrolinx

Since, presumably, this transfer is going to happen at Union perhaps it would be a nice little presto boost if the free transfer policy was exclusive to presto card users.
I'd assume they'd do it this way. I'd think they'd have for return trips from downtown ... I don't know how else they'd do it.

I suppose it's not that dissimilar to the current free transit on the TTC 38 Highland Creek Bus from Rouge Hill GO station, if you've used GO. Does anyone know how this is working? Metrolinx is footing the bill for that. I can't see them footing the bill for downtown though.

Every line has stops within the 416 don't they? So should people boarding at Weston, etc. not be afforded the same rights/privileges with regards to the TTC transfer policy?

Since, presumably, this transfer is going to happen at Union perhaps it would be a nice little presto boost if the free transfer policy was exclusive to presto card users.

Agreed. I think it should be Presto-exclusive, and it should be for every 416 GO station. If you're going from TTC to GO, the cost of the trip on GO is the TTC fare, plus how many ever GO fare zones you're travelling (since not all stations are in one GO fare zone in Toronto). If it's from GO to TTC, then the difference between the base GO fare and the base TTC fare should be refunded to your card when you tap onto a TTC bus.

even if the TTC is $1.50 after transferring from GO, I would love it. Most suburban agencies use $0.75 transit fares when coming to/from GO right? I know DRT makes you pay only a DRT fare if taking go within Durham Region. E.X. if you take the GO train from Oshawa to Pickering GO, you only pay the DRT fare.

even if the TTC is $1.50 after transferring from GO, I would love it. Most suburban agencies use $0.75 transit fares when coming to/from GO right? I know DRT makes you pay only a DRT fare if taking go within Durham Region. E.X. if you take the GO train from Oshawa to Pickering GO, you only pay the DRT fare.

No that does not include the GO Train, only buses, and they recently took a few Go bus routes out of that fare arrangement such as the Hwy 2 routes, but DRT is running its own Hwy 2 route now, route 900

Pic taken Oct 28, 2013

05SWPAk.jpg

They will be moving track 3 on Nov 1 night/weekend and the end of the grade crossing for trains since the 1800's. Since the rails are in place now at the switch, the tracks maybe join sooner to it.

It will mean the fools can now stop on the tracks until spring when the new overpass is open for Strachan.

The police could have a field day on Friday writing tickets with all the cars sitting on the tracks while the trains were approching the crossing. Some try to backup only to be hit by the barriers as they came down. Police were giving driver very stern warning about stopping on the tracks or blocking it.

Pic taken Oct 28, 2013

05SWPAk.jpg

That "broken back" curves seems odd to me. It seems a poor design to have a curve - then a short tangent section - than another curve. There is even room to have a continuous curve instead. Is this standard for railways, because I know highways try to avoid this?

That "broken back" curves seems odd to me. It seems a poor design to have a curve - then a short tangent section - than another curve. There is even room to have a continuous curve instead. Is this standard for railways, because I know highways try to avoid this?

I think it is probably temporary and due to space constraints in the corridor during construction. Track position 1 and 2 from the north will eventually be Barrie, tracks 3 to 6 Georgetown, Airport, and Bolton, and tracks 7 and 8 the Milton line. Right now they are just diverting the existing level crossing tracks into the tunnel with as minimal track shifting as required I think.

I think it is probably temporary and due to space constraints in the corridor during construction. Track position 1 and 2 from the north will eventually be Barrie, tracks 3 to 6 Georgetown, Airport, and Bolton, and tracks 7 and 8 the Milton line. Right now they are just diverting the existing level crossing tracks into the tunnel with as minimal track shifting as required I think.

It is very temporary. The tracks will follow the retaining wall along the right side in a smooth curve. This was done to get the tracks up and running quickly while the construction continues on the underpass.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

They need the room on the north side to get trucks in and out of the site and the reasons as noted by Dan.

Metrolinx wants the crossing gone ASP so the trucks can use it to remove the existing corridor.

They are ready to swing the Milton track this weekend and you can see the new track 3 is ready to be connected in this video of one of the Last Milton train using the crossing.

Not as many cars sit on the track as the train is coming my way today compare to last Friday. But too many fools including a 18 wheeler.
[video=youtube;dcxTnJuZ1gc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dcxTnJuZ1gc[/video]

Last edited:
Link is missing on the database page.

Pics taken May 6, 2014

imqmjIf.jpg

pD7km1c.jpg

This side of the overpass should be in use over the next month.
Then they'll start working on the curve part.

Ywm7BcW.jpg

JiqNdeM.jpg

DWqaaRi.jpg

nGdqqD2.jpg

I was there today as well. Metrolinx is hoping that the northbound are open by the end of May so they can remove the existing crossing.

The east sidewalk could be pour tomorrow or later this week. Once done, the road will be back fill with concrete pour for most of the ramp road and then base asphalt put down. The road should be fully open in June.

The goal is still have the whole thing completed by year end. Only 3 tracks will be place in the new south tunnel with provision for the 4th track. The 4th track has been installed in the north tunnel now and you can see it in the first photo above.

Back