Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

1295481493.jpg

The glass moving on the Westward side, and covering the mechanical sections.

Interested must be right, and Necessary Evil said it two pages back as well - this is not mismatched glass - there is a new pattern starting here. Presumably we will be seeing racing stripes fly up the building from here.

Now I'm not certain from drum118's photo above whether the single window on the right is installed strangely or whether that is a vent grill, but otherwise everything on the left hand side indicates that there is a plan afoot. Notice the extra thin horizontal stripe in the spandrel section as well? It looks like this corner of Trump will have a touch of tartan to it.

That horizontal stripe creating a "tartan" look is present all along the north west corner.

Also, I caught a distant glimpse of Trump through a dirty window today and it looks like the mismatched glass may have been replaced.

I’ve been back in the city for a few days and I took a quick walk around the downtown. Most of the projects going up are decent but Trump is a big disappointment. I’ve been following this project since 2001 and was never thrilled about the architecture but I assumed the cladding and details would make this building stand out especially at this price point. Instead all that I could focus on was mismatched cladding, the blank east wall, and the overuse of green paneling. The grey granite is nice but it would have stood out more if another colour of stone was used in addition to the grey to provide a little contrast and interest. End of rant.

Well, that shows that the mismatched glass has not been fixed yet. And I seriously doubt it will be, until it's finished. That's usually what happens.

Welcome home, billycorgan, where could you have been that is better then the T Dot?

I too have fond memories of being excited about threads on this specific tower dating back to the early EZBoard days... and moderated by none other then yourself, I believe.

So this is how long it took to get close to building this friggin' thing, eh?!!

Well, that shows that the mismatched glass has not been fixed yet. And I seriously doubt it will be, until it's finished. That's usually what happens.

Well, that doesn't exactly induce confidence in the developer or construction trades when they can't install the right type of glass in such an expensive and high profile undertaking such as this.

I feel as if it's missing a much needed element. It definitely needs a dark colour or something to contrast the very banal looking granite. From 700 feet up it looks great, though.

The green beside the gold of Royal Bank Plaza is going to be interesting!

Well, it's not actually beside the Royal Bank Plaza, which is two blocks south. I'm not sure you'll even be able to get them in the same photo (I'll take a look on the way to Union tonight). The photo posted above looks to have been taken facing east; that's the Scotia behind it and the "gold" is sunlight.

Like all PoMo... Trump is trying too hard to fit in to its surroundings and please everyone and by doing so, it fails miserably. The thinking goes: If you like glass, I have it! If you don't like glass, I have stone. Not a fan of stone? Then look at all the bright-coloured spandrel. Then of course there`s the overall sense of trying to fit in.

Allow me to explain. (This is an interview spoken in the voice of the tower itself, if it could talk.)

Interviewer: "So, Trump building, tell us about yourself."

Trump: "Look at me! First of all I'm tall, like the other guys around me. From the Northwest, I'm shiny glass like BA across the street. See how well that makes me fit with it? On my West side, just look at me!... I've mimicked the colour of stone and height of the old Scotia building with my granite, almost making it seem like I am one of the old historical buildings, with a glass tower stuck above me. I put a glass indent on the Northwest corner with granite on my West so I look like a mirror image of BA. I even put a canopy at the height of that stupid historical building beside me, to match it's height visually. From the Southwest, notice how my granite on my South side is higher and is similar in height and mirrors the old Commerce Court North, making it almost seem like another old Deco building in the neighbourhood.

Int: "OK, I guess, but what about that East side of yours? I don't see how..."

Trump: "Oh don't worry about that! I've got it covered...Can't you see the theme I was going for? I have tons of funny setbacks that echo Scotia plaza beside me. GET IT????"

Int: "Well I suppose, but..."

Trump: "See how hard I'm trying to fit in!!!!!"

Int: "Ummm...OK... But I really have to ask...What's up with your glass colour and spandrel? Why are you so green?""

TT: "I'm green because it's the colour of money, baby! That's not too ostentatious is it? You don't think I'm being Nouveau Riche, do you? Naw...I'm good."

Int: Uhhhh, whatever you say. I give up... You're living in your own world! Sheeesh!"

Last edited:

Back