Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Well, it's not actually beside the Royal Bank Plaza, which is two blocks south. I'm not sure you'll even be able to get them in the same photo (I'll take a look on the way to Union tonight). The photo posted above looks to have been taken facing east; that's the Scotia behind it and the "gold" is sunlight.

I'm not stupid, I know that it's not beside it. However if you look at this photo, you'll understand what I'm talking about.

5372462237_2f8075e6cc_b.jpg

I'm not stupid, I know that it's not beside it. However if you look at this photo, you'll understand what I'm talking about.

5372462237_2f8075e6cc_b.jpg

Aha...I see what you were getting at. I wasn't seeing it from Front and Bay--was too close to get both in the same frame of view.

That being said, the greenish glass isn't that much different than the glass in the Brookfield. Might look different on a sunny day.

Side note: You can really see in this photo how close the Trump is to overtaking the Bay Adelaide.

Like all PoMo... Trump is trying too hard to fit in to its surroundings and please everyone and by doing so, it fails miserably. The thinking goes: If you like glass, I have it! If you don't like glass, I have stone. Not a fan of stone? Then look at all the bright-coloured spandrel. Then of course there`s the overall sense of trying to fit in.

I find that it's a distinctive building unlike any other in Toronto yet it does actually acknowledge its surroundings while forging its own aesthetic. I'm enjoying its confidence to fuse so many elements together and in the end, it'll probably work. I should also point out that your opening phrase "Like all PoMo" is an overgeneralization that ignores Deconstructivism and the High Tech movement. Plus, many Postmodern buildings with contextualist sensibilities turned out attractive and successful.

Once that lot east of the ACC gets developed, and some greenery and/or public art is installed, Bay Street may look properly awesome. And I mean, Batman-tearing-up-Gotham-City-awesome.

Like all PoMo... Trump is trying too hard to fit in to its surroundings and please everyone and by doing so, it fails miserably. The thinking goes: If you like glass, I have it! If you don't like glass, I have stone. Not a fan of stone? Then look at all the bright-coloured spandrel. Then of course there`s the overall sense of trying to fit in.

Another boxy minimalist glass tower would do it for you?

From today

20110122054.jpg

This photo is really interesting--if you focus on the foreground buildings and ignore the modern cars it could have easily been taken decades earlier--reminds me of some of the shots taken in the 50s and 60s.

Great set of shots.

Quote: FAC33

This photo is really interesting--if you focus on the foreground buildings and ignore the modern cars it could have easily been taken decades earlier--reminds me of some of the shots taken in the 50s and 60s.

However in the 50's Richmond (and Adelaide) were still two way streets. Back then, those streets had life and energy. There were shops, restaurants and tons of pedestrians. Once they became one way streets all that vanished in a few short years. One way streets psychologically deter people from strolling along in both directions. Soon fewer and fewer people venture along them and inevitably the shops, and restaurants close. You end up with bleak arterial roads like the above shot of Richmond.

Quote: Tewder
Another boxy minimalist glass tower would do it for you?

I was being facetious and playful in my post, poking fun at a building. You, on the other hand are asking a question, but it comes across as an accusation and derisive of a person. In this case me.

I would be happy to answer your question, if I wasn't sure that it would be received with extreme prejudice and contempt. If you had an open mind, I would gladly engage in a discussion of what I would have preferred for a design.

However in the 50's Richmond (and Adelaide) were still two way streets. Back then, those streets had life and energy. There were shops, restaurants and tons of pedestrians. Once they became one way streets all that vanished in a few short years. One way streets psychologically deter people from strolling along in both directions. Soon fewer and fewer people venture along them and inevitably the shops, and restaurants close. You end up with bleak arterial roads like the above shot of Richmond.

Yes, I think it's more evocative of that period than actually accurate, but it's interesting that that particular short stretch of older buildings has survived to remind us of what the street used to be like. Adelaide one street south is VERY different (despite a few nice survivals on the north side and my own beloved Canada Permanent building).

Personally I don't see how Richmond would have been SO VIBRANT - its lined by wharehouses.. not conducive to street life, regardless of the direction of traffic on the street.

Anyways, Richmond was, and will be in the future very vibrant because of the active nightlife that was once there, and will surely return once all these millions of condos are built in the entertainment district and people have no choice but to hit the streets both Richmond and Adelaide, in addition to Peter, John and Duncan.

sany0770w.jpg

One way streets psychologically deter people from strolling along in both directions. Soon fewer and fewer people venture along them and inevitably the shops, and restaurants close. You end up with bleak arterial roads like the above shot of Richmond.
Quick, someone go tell all the pedestrians and shoppers on St-Michel, Bond St, Newbury St, Percival St, Broadway, 5th Ave, Ste-Catherine and St-Laurent that those streets are supposed to be dead and they shouldn't be strolling/shopping there! Turn them back to the bleak arterials that they are supposed to be!

:rolleyes:

You know I've walked down Ste-Catherine a million times and it never really struck me that it's one-way. Maybe because I've never driven down it?

Back