Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Except there are no balconies on the west elevation ... (yet)

Another thing to note, which most people don't know or are understanding, is that the only difference in glass that you should be seeing is between the visions and the spandrels. Any other mismatches are temporary and due to be replaced.

I don't see how they could have possibly gotten around the mismatched floor heights, considering the extreme heights that they wanted on the skylobby / restaurant levels, which both have visions from nearly floor to ceiling. Really opens those levels up and will make for a great interior space. Those two floors also have southern balconies that complicate things.

I actually think that it looks a lot better from afar than it does from up close.

Last edited:
Ouch. Trump looks especially terrible when approaching Bay/Adelaide from the west along Adelaide, but I thought that was only from up close. But even from afar it looks terrible - the random balcony glass colours and inconsistent and mismatched floor heights are visibly ugly looking even from this distance.

From this distance, Trump has a very nice profile in comparison to the surrounding towers. Actually from this angle, it looks rather elegant.

Ouch. Trump looks especially terrible when approaching Bay/Adelaide from the west along Adelaide, but I thought that was only from up close. But even from afar it looks terrible - the random balcony glass colours and inconsistent and mismatched floor heights are visibly ugly looking even from this distance.

I disagreee. It looks fantastic from afar and the varying floor heights are a great way to lessen the dull look of too much symmetry in Toronto's tower architecture.

its a good change... less people will hate it for being too different. imagine if we got a magnificent tower from a foreign city..... man everyone from toronto would hate it because it's in Toronto and they'llsay it's architecture is terrible and ugly..... steady change people it's what we need.

Another angle:

5757129375_6641aa8dcb_b.jpg

East End by spoonifur, on Flickr

second tallest building in canada my ass, trump has really dissapointed me height wise, i know theres afew more floors to go (does anyone know how many?) and theres mechanical floors and the quarter onion dome but still, i was expecting something much more grand that impacts our skyline alot, this just seems like infill

Application: Zoning Review Status: Not Started

TORONTO ON

Ward 28: Toronto Centre-Rosedale

Application#: 11 201437 ZSV 00 ZR Accepted Date: May 24, 2011

Project: Multiple-Use Building Sign

Description: Proposal to erect and display five illuminated wall signs on the south & north elevation walls of building in conjunction with a condo/hotel building. **TRUMP**

second tallest building in canada my ass, trump has really dissapointed me height wise, i know theres afew more floors to go (does anyone know how many?) and theres mechanical floors and the quarter onion dome but still, i was expecting something much more grand that impacts our skyline alot, this just seems like infill

well maybe you shouldn't have expected too much from a building totally unique from any other in the city

OMG! those flickr pics are stunning. Trump looks good from the west, it's skinny, stands out, and is almost surreal looking. definitely a catch tower, (shangri-la looks good too). we all have to wait for the onion dome + spire to fully make a judgement on this one. THAT is what this tower is all about design wise.

OMG! those flickr pics are stunning. Trump looks good from the west, it's skinny, stands out, and is almost surreal looking. definitely a catch tower, (shangri-la looks good too). we all have to wait for the onion dome + spire to fully make a judgement on this one. THAT is what this tower is all about design wise.

I was just waiting for you to comment on that picture Steveve! What the heck took you so long?

At this point I must say that the Trump looks great to me. A fan of Miesism, I - an outlier no doubt - quite enjoy some postmodern design. Though this isn't the best example so far, its context will enhance its positive attributes while muting its shortcomings.

First, the colour of the glass adds to the mosaic of the skyline. Its green blends with the blue of the BAy-Adelaide, the white of FCP, the red of scotia, the offwhite of the TDs, and the black of the Mies towers to form a veritable rainbow of colour - which Toronto desperately needs. I am all for a yellow or orange tower now!

Next, its position in the skyline looks less like infill than organically grown. No, it does not try to brashly create a new focal point for the skyline as many would have liked (and I would still like to see something taller than FCP). However, as shown in the western view, it will step up perfectly from the BAC to the scotia tower and FCP. It creates a pyramidal effect that I wouldn't mind seeing continued north of the BAC.

Its massing is another thing I enjoy. Skinny relative to its neighbours, the tower stands out in its projection of height while being quite different from the built form of the adjacent towers. Postmodern setbacks rise in stone from the concrete of the street and taper into glass - mirroring the history of the city. Stone reaches upward into the sky in the material of glass, the great symbol of the contemporary - despite the 80s appearance of the tower. This philosophical application is one of the reasons postmodernism appeals.

Last, without having seen it, I suspect that the onion dome will add a dynamism to the skyline, even if it would be absolutely gaudy somewhere else. Here, tucked in between Towers and without all-angle viewing (it is obscured from many points of view), it delineates and defines. Elsewhere, and if built with a lot of space around it, it would scream for attention merely for its own sake. So, if more towers like the Trump were built I might start to get leery, but for now, the contrast between TD's step-ups, Mies's, BMO's and BAC's boxes, Ritz's slopes, and some other round edges appeals to me - much like the mosaic of colour it will add to a montage of shape.

Last edited:
At this point I must say that the Trump looks great to me. A fan of Miesism, I - an outlier no doubt - quite enjoy some postmodern design. Though this isn't the best example so far, its context will enhance its positive attributes while muting its shortcomings.

First, the colour of the glass adds to the mosaic of the skyline. Its green blends with the blue of the BAy-Adelaide, the white of FCP, the red of scotia, the offwhite of the TDs, and the black of the Mies towers to form a veritable rainbow of colour - which Toronto desperately needs. I am all for a yellow or orange tower now!

Next, its position in the skyline looks less like infill than organically grown. No, it does not try to brashly create a new focal point for the skyline as many would have liked (and I would still like to see something taller than FCP). However, as shown in the western view, it will step up perfectly from the BAC to the scotia tower and FCP. It creates a pyramidal effect that I wouldn't mind seeing continued north of the BAC.

Its massing is another thing I enjoy. Skinny relative to its neighbours, the tower stands out in its projection of height while being quite different from the built form of the adjacent towers. Postmodern setbacks rise in stone from the concrete of the street and taper into glass - mirroring the history of the city. Stone reaches upward into the sky in the material of glass, the great symbol of the contemporary - despite the 80s appearance of the tower. This philosophical application is one of the reasons postmodernism appeals.

Last, without having seen it, I suspect that the onion dome will add a dynamism to the skyline, even if it would be absolutely gaudy somewhere else. Here, tucked in between Towers and without all-angle viewing (it is obscured from many points of view), it delineates and defines. Elsewhere, and if built with a lot of space around it, it would scream for attention merely for its own sake. So, if more towers like the Trump were built I might start to get leery, but for now, the contrast between TD's step-ups, Mies's, BMO's and BAC's boxes, Ritz's slopes, and some other round edges appeals to me - much like the mosaic of colour it will add to a montage of shape.

Best 44th post EVER! ...and I agree on every single point. Well articulated.

I was just waiting for you to comment on that picture Steveve! What the heck took you so long?

LOL! my e-mail got messed up with all the threads :p

and yeah, awesome and well spoken post agoraflaneur, send that in to the Hume Star reporter guy, i think he was to quick to judge the tower.... without the dome + spire, it's like judging someone based on their body without seeing their head (which, we all do if ya know what i mean ;) )

Why do we desperately need a tutti frutti skyline? Not that we haven't been heading in that direction for decades, but what advantage would continuing along that trajectory hold over a creating skyline based on principles of harmony and proportion?

Back