Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

Is it really that complex? The window runs appear in different sizes, the transition between cladding materials is clumsy, the lower portion of the lower east wall is miserable, balconies jut out here and there and the glass colour is not particularly attractive in my opinion. I don't think another twenty floors will make thing look any better.

With its many setbacks and two distinct components to its facade, it is relatively complex. Which isn't to say it's great or that it works, but it is complex. I do think it'll look good, though the east wall is problematic. The glass is distinct and the granite ties it in with the older stone-clad buildings in the area. The transitions are work well with the fusion of facades aesthetic, meant to show a clear contrast for impact. Twenty more floors are important as there are still more parts to come as this symphony resolves to the cadence of the quarter onion.

heres acouple of shots from today :) by me

trumpshangrila048.jpg

trumpshangrila049.jpg

trumpshangrila052.jpg

trumpshangrila053.jpg

Personally, while I find the architecture of the Trump Tower to be amateurish, I like what the building represents: a very tall, skinny, somewhat undifferentiated skyscraper thrown up casually on a small corner lot. It's probably the tallest "infill" project being built in the world right now; everything taller is meant to be a landmark surrounded by a plaza. The Trump tower reminds me of those pre-war Wall Street skyscrapers like 70 Pine or 40 Wall in New York. They're not as memorable as the Empire State Buildng, the Chrysler Tower or Rockefeller Center, but they give the overall skyline of Lower Manhattan some added drama and they sure are cool jammed in like that at street level.

Eventually, standing shoulder to shoulder in a collective gesture of good will, the surrounding towers will form a protective cordon sanitaire that quarantines Trump and blocks it from the view of most decent folk, thank goodness.

I think that Trump is Wonderful! It's amazinig what these Russian guys did with this postage-stamp size lot, and made an awesome tower. I guess they realized that making some type of landmark tower in a lot blocked on all sides by tall towers would be a rather useless endevour.

Personally, while I find the architecture of the Trump Tower to be amateurish, I like what the building represents: a very tall, skinny, somewhat undifferentiated skyscraper thrown up casually on a small corner lot. It's probably the tallest "infill" project being built in the world right now; everything taller is meant to be a landmark surrounded by a plaza. The Trump tower reminds me of those pre-war Wall Street skyscrapers like 70 Pine or 40 Wall in New York. They're not as memorable as the Empire State Buildng, the Chrysler Tower or Rockefeller Center, but they give the overall skyline of Lower Manhattan some added drama and they sure are cool jammed in like that at street level.

70 pine and 40 wall street are two amazing towers for sure, lov'em both, Great reference, I also think 70 pine is the most underrated 900 foot tower anywhere....

Just walked by Trump, and there has been some jumbo cladding installed, two pieces on the western face. The colours are mismatched again.... But still at least they're cladding this side again.

And in true Trump Toronto fashion, they have added yet another design element to the pattern of the windows.

The upper most windows of the East facade now have green spandrel between them, unlike all the others that have granite between the floors.

Will the madness never end???

:D

the materials do seem alittle wonky to me. i would have preffered one colour of glass and a clean looking design all the way up. i guess time will tell if this project will be a sandout in our skyline or just "infill"

Well I don't think you can call a 270 metre tower in Toronto 'infill'.. But I see the point. As for the materials, I actually think it works well in that location if for no other reason than it adds some variety to the skyline. I don't think you would want an entire city of trump towers but all things considered I think it will be a great addition.

Back