Toronto St Regis Toronto Hotel and Residences | 281.93m | 58s | JFC Capital | Zeidler

All these sites are going to be very expensive and baring a total meltdown of the TO core, and the natural trend of prices to rise, the Central core won't develop unless there are high costs/foot to do it. At least in my opinion.
I again state that a few years ago (though I don't have it any more) I saw a study that showed that all the Class A land, that on which the building had no intrinsic value on the land or it was a parking lot and land value only, had 3 years at current consumption left. After that, one went to Class B land which had buildings on it worth more than land value alone. Not to say that these sites can't be used, just stating that costs for the land portion will be proportionately higher.

I agree that Trump has a good reputation. Yes he is over the top and I personally can't stand the self promotion, but let's face it. One hears Trump and one associates it with luxury. I can assure you I have wlaked into some of Trump projects and they are very beautiful.

As for a hotelier, sure 4S is clearly the leader. Whether Trump is any better or worse than SL or Ritz, I really don't know though I must say that I have heard that since Marriott took over Ritz, it has descended somewhat.

I do believe it is unfair to say that high fliers and business exec's won't go to Trump. I think they will. Now, if one looks at 1 King where Stinson tried to promote himself without brand recognition as 5 star (unsuccessfully I would suggest)or the new Bisha (which may or may not make it as a 5 star hotel), I think that is more of a stretch.

Finally, I think the Trump location will appeal more for the business man/business lady travelling and the 4S for the business man/lady on vacation or travelling with his wife/girlfriend/husband/boyfriend as the Yorkville location and the type of travel will dictate where the individual chooses to stay. That said, I think that Ritz and SL are close enough to the downtown that it won't matter and be a final factor in the choice of these 3 hotels.

I agree ^^^ this tower is very very business like. it's great. Trump chicago turned out great (on the inside), i would hope to see a scaled down version for this one.

They were doing lots of work on the lower floors today.

trumpd11.jpg

sweet ^^^ they've started the cladding (or at least 1 piece of it) on the lobbyish levels. maybe they wanna finish up the lower levels before they advance further in cladding (upper floors)

sweet ^^^ they've started the cladding (or at least 1 piece of it) on the lobbyish levels. maybe they wanna finish up the lower levels before they advance further in cladding (upper floors)

I walked by around 3:30PM this afternoon and they were unloading cladding from a flatbed that appeared to be the same cladding as the upper floors and hauling it up the side of Trump by cable (much longer strips than what appears on this Lobby level).

is the main entrance going to be on bay or adelaide???

i believe there are ramps/entrances on both sides...

Maybe the hotel portion will be open sooner... trump chicago's hotel opened much much sooner than the rest of the building (was open as they were still pouring floors on the upper levels)

In all the years with the project and on this forum, this is the first I've heard of purchasing the National Club. To the best of my knowledge, that was never nor has ever been in the plans. We have much respect for the National Club and they have been very gracious hosts for many of our events over the years.

Regarding sales, I keep hearing about poor sales... that's been the story from the beginning. Yet, we sold... and sold... and sold.... and sold enough to get the building financed and under construction. Many people also said: "it's never going to get built." In fact, many folks on this forum. And here we are, over 40-stories and in the home stretch.

When we made the move to add smaller residential suites to building, it was mainly a result of customer demand. Our largest suites (2200-4000-sq ft.) were in fact some of the first sold in the building. The hotel condominiums were selling very well, but folks also wanted residential suites that were a little bit smaller than the 2200-sq ft. suites we originally started at. They wanted that in-between size. So, we adjusted our design to accomodate. In my opinion, I think we simplly added too many floors of the smaller suites. Unfortunately, that meant increasing from 109 units up to nearly 150 residences on 35 floors... with just four elevators to accomodate. It was a very real problem and one we were hoping our engineers could figure out to make it work--and even then, it meant wait times at the elevator of nearly two minutes--which simply isn't acceptable for a luxury property like this. We couldn't add more elevators--with 15,00-s.f.we didn't have the floor-plate for it, so that wasn't an option.

In the end, I think it also gave us more time to add details to the building that we wouldn't have had time to do prior. The interior design of the property today is far more stunning than it was originally imagined. The hotel and the public areas of the property are especially beautiful. Having visited and stayed at a couple of other Trump properties, I think this building takes the Trump brand up a notch--and that's saying something. For folks who have commented here about business travelers not staying at the property, they will. But we're not talking about the Holiday Inn, Residence Inn, etc., type of business traveler. This an upper end property. And will attract the same level of business travelers who stay at Trump International in NYC and Chicago. Two hotels who have frequently been awarded as the top business hotels in North America. The location of this property is perfect for a business traveler to Toronto. Yorkville is nice, but with so many neighborhoods downtown taking shape and coming into their own, Yorkville isn't the centre of it all anymore. Look at the Film Festival and how it has slowly migrated down to the King St. area with the opening of the Festival Centre. Things change and this city is always evolving. But Bay Street, is and will continue to be the centre of business in the city.

And as we're nearing the completion of the building and a very succesful 2010 for the property, I just wanted to take a moment to thank you all for your enthusiasm and interest in the building over the years. It's been great fun to see all the photos, video and opinions shared--positive and negative! Cheers!

Trump Hotels are hit and miss. Not every proprietary is 5 star worthy. Trump Chicago is one of the best five star hotel's i have stayed at. yet Trump Plaza in Atlantic City is about as luxurious as a Days Inn, Also the Condo/Hotel Trump Las Vegas isn't exactly 5 star worthy either, the rooms were rather bland and and service wasn't up to Trump Chicago standards. If Trump Toronto Hotel is anything like Trump Chicago, Trump Toronto is going to be the best hotel in the city!

In fairness to Trump, every hotel has some that are hit and miss.

I have heard similar experiences at the Ritz, some of which are great, and others, well....not so great.

I am sure that even 4S, the number one hotel chain, has only a 4 star hotel at Yorkville now though of course the new 4S will be 5 star.

I think it remains to be seen how all our major new chains perform. I will go out on a limb and say that 4S and SL have more to prove. 4S originated in Toronto so I think it will be a flagship project for them and as such, I think they will pull out all the stops. Similarly SL in Vancouver, their first foray in North America was voted #1 in the SL chain. Same developer, trying to establish himself in TO and has another property to develop(I have heard), so has a vested interest to build it well. SL trying to gain a toe hold in North America has others going up in the US so I think they will try to ensure that TO is really 1st class. Trump has the advantage that it is already recognized as a "luxury brand" even if there are a few that are not great and it has less to prove so perhaps has a bit more leeway to be "less than perfect".

Back