Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

A typo, here is the official announcement:

Please note that geothermal testing is scheduled to commence as part of the St. Lawrence Market North Redevelopment Project and the Market will remain open for business as usual with no disruption to operating hours.
The City of Toronto has a long history of leadership on environmental and urban energy issues. In recent years, City Council has adopted a number of visionary long-term strategies to guide Toronto in becoming the most sustainable city in North America. Within the Toronto Green Standard for new buildings, the City is required to minimize energy demand through efficient building design and encourage renewable energy supply.
The St. Lawrence Market North Redevelopment Project is being considered for the implementation of a geothermal system to supplement the heating and cooling requirements within the new building using geothermal energy. Geothermal energy is recovered from the constant temperature of the deep earth.
During the design phase of the new St. Lawrence Market North building, the City has to confirm the viability of a geothermal energy system. In order to do this, geothermal testing needs to be completed. On Wednesday February 26, 2014 the City of Toronto will deliver a deep surface drilling rig to 92 Front Street – St. Lawrence Market North building for testing purposes.
Why Test?
Testing is an important process in the design and implementation of a geothermal energy system. On the St. Lawrence Market North building site, there will be two (2) test holes drilled. Both are currently located at the rear of the existing building. The test drill holes
are installed to access the thermal (heat) properties of the earth. Specially designed thermal conductivity tests measure the quantity of heat that can be obtained from the earth.
The results of this testing process will give the City, designers and engineers valuable insight into the underground conditions of the site.
What does this mean to Residents and Business Owners in the area?
While this work can be disruptive in nature it is necessary in order to design the geothermal energy system. The drilling will occur for approximately 4 to 6 hours in duration for 2 to 4 days per drilling area. The equipment will be delivered Wednesday February 26th 2014 and drilling will begin after 9:00 am on Thursday February 27th 2014. There will be minor disruption to Jarvis Street while off-loading the drilling rig and subsequently loading the rig for approximately one hour for each occurrence. This disruption to Jarvis Street will not take place during rush hours.

Geothermal energy is recovered from the constant temperature of the deep earth.

A bit of a misnomer, as you don't need to go deep for geothermal loops. Vertical loops (several hundred feet deep) are drilled on small sites where there is not enough room for a horizontal loop , which is generally around 6 feet below the surface. Vertical loops are much more expensive to instal.

Geo-exchange is a more appropriate term for this process, as it is technically solar heat being utilized...not heat generated from the earth's core.

If there is one project I'm getting impatient about it's the North Market. Let's see some action!

From the minutes of the SLNA Feb 26 Meeting:

St. Lawrence North Market
Currently working through the final stages of the design process
Rough timeline
-Construction of temporary market this summer (May/June)
-Demolition (including archaeological work) to start around the end of this year
-Opening in 2016

AoD

It's nice to see things are still progressing. I want to see some real activity soon on the temporary market.

Last edited:
From the minutes of the SLNA Feb 26 Meeting:

St. Lawrence North Market
Currently working through the final stages of the design process
Rough timeline
-Construction of temporary market this summer (May/June)
-Demolition (including archaeological work) to start around the end of this year
-Opening in 2016

AoD

Very exciting to know this is still happening, and in the near future. Though there's a part of me that won't believe it until I'm standing in the new market buying corn.

Very exciting to know this is still happening, and in the near future. Though there's a part of me that won't believe it until I'm standing in the new market buying corn.
The current discussion is on whether the market merchants will move to the temporary market before or after Thanksgiving so things ARE still bubbling away.

This relates more to the social architecture of the north market, but it was Rowe Farm's last day today after 30 years there.

A bit of a misnomer, as you don't need to go deep for geothermal loops. Vertical loops (several hundred feet deep) are drilled on small sites where there is not enough room for a horizontal loop , which is generally around 6 feet below the surface. Vertical loops are much more expensive to instal.

Geo-exchange is a more appropriate term for this process, as it is technically solar heat being utilized...not heat generated from the earth's core.

If they're going to do geothermal heating anyway, would it cost a lot to extend it to the abutting sidewalks on Jarvis and Front and the pedestrian walkway between the North Market and Market Square? It would be better than salting the crap out of the sidewalks for 5 months a year.

If they're going to do geothermal heating anyway, would it cost a lot to extend it to the abutting sidewalks on Jarvis and Front and the pedestrian walkway between the North Market and Market Square? It would be better than salting the crap out of the sidewalks for 5 months a year.

The BTU load for snowmelt is too big to be economically viable, which is why you rarely ever see it. And not very suitable to geothermal.

I would love to see an underground connection between the two buildings but I know it's not gonna happen.

Indeed. Perhaps at some point it will happen, though given the underground space is going to be all parking at the North Building, I am not sure if there is much gains to be had from a sheer connection perspective by itself. Too bad, if there is money floating around, perhaps they should put most of the parking where the temporary market would be (3, 4 s underground), extend the South Market northward underground with additional leasable space and connect that with the North Market. Not going to happen but nice to dream about it.

I hope they get Claude Cormier to design that new park space (and put in another fountain, apropos of the heritage character of the area). That, plus extend the Market Street urban design themes all around the precinct.

AoD

I have heard some discussion (not official) that it might make sense to create a park on the level of the South Market 'walkway" (reached by a bridge from the walkway) and use the space at ground level to provide better loading docks for the South Market but I really cannot see that this would work too well as this would still be separated from the Market by The Esplanade.

Back