Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

Looks like it will be tomorrow now.

For those decrying the 'barn' form, recall that Rogers' own office in London (Thames Wharf Studios) features a remarkably similar roof:

550_0026_main.jpg

Thames_Wharf_Studios_FINAL.JPG

368393263_792ef6a96e.jpg

Ponyboy:

It would be tough to create an underground connection that would be more than a corridor to the underground parking. Not sure if that would be worth it. Wish they could excavate the south market down one more level though.

AoD

It's on council right now:

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 1m
Back in June, Cllr Doug Ford said he would fight the St. Lawrence Market North project at city council http://ow.ly/n5AnX #TOpoli

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 2m
Cllr Pam McConnell asks the city manager if he supports the St. Lawrence Market North redevelopment plan, he says yes #TOpoli

Maybe that's why Pam voted the way she did for the SRT/BD debate?

AoD

Still going an hour later. I do find this comment a bit hypocritical though:

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 6m
"When I see (the word) potentially, I see risk" Cllr James Pasternak #TOpoli

From someone who voted to approve a subway extension with a far higher liability, that has gone through far less planning vigour and less financial certainty.

Looks like the vote will be close.

AoD

Last edited:
Done - not even close.

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 14s
Council votes 31 to 10 to approve Cllr Pam McConnell's motion

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 51s
Council votes 40-1 to push ahead on St. Lawrence Market North redevelopment & avoid budget debate on $15 million cost overrun #TOpoli

AoD

Question for clarity:

Does the passed motion to "push ahead St. Lawrence Market North development" refer to the original winning design or the revised less-costly design?

And once again Toronto will get something that is just okay and satisfying instead of a landmark. Blah. Maybe it will turn out better than the renders.

We always seem to get set up for disappointment. I don't know why they get our expectations up, only to deliver a compromised design. City Hall needs to get its act together and deliver what they promise, not a watered down version.

I think it's worse knowing what could have been. Now I'm sure when I look at features like the puny external, wooden (?) louvres I'll just try to imagine how much better they should have been. The same could probably be said about many of the little details.

I like the rounded roof better though, it's unique in larger buildings.

Back