Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

Great News. I called councillor Pam McConnell ward and they told me that the project is going forward. The contract with the winning archiect will be signed anyday now.

Sorry to hate, but I think everyone should take this pronouncement with a grain of salt. Brans89 also wrote like a dozen posts last year that MARS Phase 2 was going to restart in October 2010. In which he never provided proof and was, of course, wrong.

I think this guy likes to claim that he knows that projects are going ahead when really he just HOPES that they are going ahead. I'm going to call Pam McConell's office myself to find out what they say. I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:
Great News. I called councillor Pam McConnell ward and they told me that the project is going forward. The contract with the winning archiect will be signed anyday now.

I frankly doubt that you called Pam McConnell's office but even if you did they have been saying this for over 6 months. The time we will know is whether the project remains in the Capital Budget when it is passed by Council in a month or so.

I called Councillor Pam McConnell office months ago. When I asked about the St Lawrence Market North buidling plans he said they still need to sign the contract with the architect. I asked him when they hoped to sign the contract with the architect he said they are working on it.

Today I called again and asked about the the project and he said they are going to signed the contract with the architect anyday now. He then said once the contract is signed they would give exact timelines as to when the temporary structure will be built, and when the project will be starting.

I got this response to an email i sent yesterday...

-----------

Hi,

We are awaiting the finalization of the contract with the architect, expected any day now. That will allow for a construction manager to come on board, and a schedule set.

We'll certainly post something when we get more news at www.pammcconnell.ca or our e-news letter which you can register for there.

Let me know if I can help any further.

Best,

Tom
for Councillor McConnell

Thanks for the confirmation, bar1967. I left a message with a couple of McConnell's assistants but have not heard back yet. Adam Vaughan's office gave me basically the same answer you received, but told me McConnell's office would have the most up-to-date info as the project is in her ward.

brans89 - you were right. My apologies for the skepticism.

Excellent news. Thanks to Brams89 and bar1967. First step in a long way.

AoD

Sorry to pour cold water on all this but that is exactly what Tom (Davidson) in McConnell's office has been saying for months. I suppose sooner or later he may be right and it WILL only be a couple of days but I remain VERY sceptical, and fearful.

When I spoke to her on Sunday, Marlene didn't think the antique market will have to move into temporary digs any time soon. I also got the impression that there are some design adjustments happening ...

I do hope Lord Rogers doesn't expect to be flown over at city expense, fussed over and wined and dined by Frick and Frack and local grandees prior to signing on the dotted line.

Pam McConnell was at the St Lawrence Neighbourhood Assn last night and announced that the contract with the winning architect was finally signed about a week ago and that the detailed planning is now proceeding. There will be design changes because the architect's original plans/costings wrongly assumed that the internal fitting out was not included in the price. She said there will be a public meeting of some sort to look at any revisions so I doubt we will see any demolition or building until winter 2012/13. This, of course, is all based on the hope that the project remains in the City Capital Budget but it IS progress and I am somewhat more optimistic about this proceeding.

I hope this announcement doesn't mean that significant cheapening is coming. I'm really not a fan of watered down, anticlimactic projects by international architects. The CBC studios by Philip Johnson comes to mind.

What other sort of projects by international architects in Toronto does come to mind?

Last edited:
What other sort of projects by international architects in Toronto does come to mind?

Toronto City Hall, Viljo Revell 1965. I think that's the most recent one of the other sort.

Though to be fair, I don't think the ROM was watered down. I think Danny L was trying his darnedest.

Ditto on Alsop with OCAD.

And Frank Gehry proved with the AGO that his B-game is still pretty good.

Back