Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

To add to this - from what I recall this was always the plan i.e. construction to start sometime in 2011 not 2010.
That's not to say it'd be impossible for this to be stopped at this point ... but the one thing I should add is that part of this is to be used as city offices as well.

Thanks for the update everyone! I hope we get to see the final plans soon. From reading awhile back I remember the winning design still needed to be tweaked for environmental concerns.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the update everyone! I hope we get to see the final plans soon. From reading awhile back I remember the winning design still needed to be tweaked for environmental concerns.

I think that a contract has yet to be signed with the architects who won the design competition but the planning always assumed a late 2011 start - they still need to build the temporary North Market at The Esplanade/Lower Jarvis and I think the farmers want to stay where they are until at least mid- October 2011 as summer is their busy time and the temporary location is smaller.

I think we DO need to be concerned about this one but it's not panic time yet!

Funny, but interchange and I were discussing this very issue at Ford's levee on Saturday. I am under the impression, from talking to the person who runs the Sunday antique market, that the Courts are paying for the above-ground building and the parking authority for the lower levels, that the money is spoken for and that the deadline for the courts to vacate their present location requires work to get underway in a timely manner. We were trying to figure out how Ford's handlers could make mileage out of this as an example of the sort of "wretched excess" they could trash ... and couldn't come up with anything.

Funny, but interchange and I were discussing this very issue at Ford's levee on Saturday. I am under the impression, from talking to the person who runs the Sunday antique market, that the Courts are paying for the above-ground building and the parking authority for the lower levels, that the money is spoken for and that the deadline for the courts to vacate their present location requires work to get underway in a timely manner. We were trying to figure out how Ford's handlers could make mileage out of this as an example of the sort of "wretched excess" they could trash ... and couldn't come up with anything.

hmm, everything you mentioned is still the 'city' i.e. the parking authority and the courts - I do recall Ford was actively against this back in the day (then again he was actively against just about everything :).
Anyway, my point is, never say never.

Next up on the list possibly - the Lawrence heights revitalization.

This is in the City's Capital Budget Document so it looks as though it's going ahead..

Redevelop St. Lawrence Market North into a multi-purpose, multit
storey facility containing a public market at grade, four levels of
Provincial Offences Act traffic courts above grade, and three levels
of parking below grade ( 2011–2020 $73.890 million)

See: http://www.toronto.ca/budget2011/pdf/2011staff-capital-budget.pdf

This is in the City's Capital Budget Document so it looks as though it's going ahead..

Redevelop St. Lawrence Market North into a multi-purpose, multit
storey facility containing a public market at grade, four levels of
Provincial Offences Act traffic courts above grade, and three levels
of parking below grade ( 2011–2020 $73.890 million)

See: http://www.toronto.ca/budget2011/pdf/2011staff-capital-budget.pdf

Phew. After a decade of hard work behind the scenes by many people, followed by a several years of exciting public promises, it would have been heartbreaking to see this canceled or delayed. I can't wait to see this get started. This, along with the ongoing Market Wharf, Berczy and Market Street developments, will totally transform this already great neighbourhood.

According to one of my farmer friends at the Saturday market, there is quite the silence about what is happening with the market. They were told that they would be moving in October 2011, but nothing is happening on the temporary site to create the 3 year temporary location. Anyone else heard anything?

According to one of my farmer friends at the Saturday market, there is quite the silence about what is happening with the market. They were told that they would be moving in October 2011, but nothing is happening on the temporary site to create the 3 year temporary location. Anyone else heard anything?

The project remains in the Capital Budget but as far as I know the contract with the winning architect has still not been signed - the City demanded changes to reduce the price it will cost to build/maintain. Not a good sign in these gravy-free times (not that a new bulding IS gravy, but that no longer seems important. If the new building is postponed the City must spend lots of $$ on repairs.)

Why don't you just call or email Pam McConnell's office? Then you could provide all of us with a proper update, with confirmed information, rather than wasting everyone's time with pointless speculation.

The Neighbourhood Association and the farmers have been trying to get official word from both the Councillor and City officials for months but, rather alarmingly, none is forthcoming. I think we will need to wait for the new proposed Capital Budget to see if it has survived the Fords.

Why don't you just call or email Pam McConnell's office? Then you could provide all of us with a proper update, with confirmed information, rather than wasting everyone's time with pointless speculation.

Oh, the irony. Thanks for your pointless post.

Forumers on the board here are quite connected in various ways. I thought someone might have heard something but hadn't posted anything on UT yet. (Thanks DSC for your answer.)

Ya that wasnt a neccessary comment toronto1.... I had no idea whats been going on with this project

Its too bad it seems like nothings really happening.... Hopefully it all turns out...... Thanks for the info greenleaf and DSC

Forumers on the board here are quite connected in various ways. I thought someone might have heard something but hadn't posted anything on UT yet. (Thanks DSC for your answer.)

I was going to ask Marlene, who runs the antique market, when I was down there yesterday ... but I didn't see her.

Great News. I called councillor Pam McConnell ward and they told me that the project is going forward. The contract with the winning archiect will be signed anyday now.

Back