Toronto St Lawrence Market North | 25.3m | 5s | City of Toronto | Rogers Stirk Harbour

08:00, crane being hoisted, and pallets of green ready to go up.

IMG_5856.jpg

Is there a new target opening date for the North Bulding, yet?

I see in March the City said "Fall 2023" was an expected time to be "fully operational" but that's still a wide window from September to December. It would be really nice if the Saturday market could be back in the new building for the late harvests in September or at least for Thanksgiving.

Is there a new target opening date for the North Bulding, yet?

I see in March the City said "Fall 2023" was an expected time to be "fully operational" but that's still a wide window from September to December. It would be really nice if the Saturday market could be back in the new building for the late harvests in September or at least for Thanksgiving.
For at least a year the opening date has been "Spring 2024" - for reasons I cannot understand they will only open the building when all floors are finished and I assume the Court floors will take longer. Patience!

Beautiful! I don’t understand why there can’t be a phased opening? If the main level market is ready before the courtrooms then open it. If a project like The Well can open in stages surely this much smaller one can too.
One would have thought so, but "The City" says no!

It doesn't look like grass - it looks like sedum, but I have never seen it comes in rolls like lawns before.

AoD
I'm gonna guess it's been grown on some kind of jute/hemp mesh due to the sloping of the roof, or something else flexible and biodegradable that will hold it in place long enough to take root in whatever substrate they may have put down.

Last edited:

Back