News   Jul 12, 2024
 878     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 353     0 

Toronto St. Clair West Transit Improvements | ?m | ?s | TTC

St. Clair merchants launch $100-million class action over streetcar debacle

March 25, 2010

Megan O’Toole

Read More: http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/...lion-class-action-over-streetcar-debacle.aspx

#################################################

The city is facing a new storm over the troubled St. Clair streetcar project, in the form of a $100-million lawsuit that casts a shadow over Toronto’s massive planned light-rail expansion. Lawyer Stephen Edell, who is representing dozens of merchants and landlords along St. Clair Avenue West, yesterday issued the claim against the city, the province and the Toronto Transit Commission.“The record of what happened on St. Clair is a clear and obvious one,†Mr. Edell said, citing “many besieged merchants on the street, many who are holding on to their stores by the flimsiest of margins, many of whom have lost their businesses.â€

The claim seeks $100-million in damages and a further $5-million in punitive damages against the City of Toronto only. The named plaintiff, Curactive Organic Skin Care Ltd., is acting as a representative party for a group of commercial interests on St. Clair between Bathurst Street and Old Weston Road. The claim alleges a “complete breakdown†in the St. Clair project’s co-ordination, leading to substantial delays that negatively impacted local businesses.

“After construction prematurely began, debate continued about project scope and design, resulting in the uncertainty and confusion caused by changes in project scope,†the claim alleges. “Further, and in particular concerning St. Clair Avenue West from Bathurst Street westwards, chaos and inordinate delays resulted from a lack of supervision, the mismanagement of contractors... and conflict in the oversight and control of the project.â€

Similar concerns were cited in a recent report commissioned by the TTC, which decided to review the St. Clair project as it launches Transit City, a $9-billion plan to weave 120 kilometres of light-rail track across Toronto.

st.clair2010.jpg

TTC should outsource this kind of construction to a private management and construction firm.

Make the contract have financial penalties if the project misses deadlines, or is not built to standard. Then I will guarantee that there won't be a repeat of St Clair.

That's the real benefit of outsourcing.

I offering my photo's and video's to the highest bidder since I have before shots and during construction of this mess. About 6,000 in total until I do the complete shooting this year.

They can hire me as a project manager......................Na!!!.........Not interested now..............TTC is going to be history and they would not like me walking all of their toes or the firing I would do in the first place.

The city dwellers guide to spite:

Step 1: Obstruct the progress of a large piece of public transit infrastructure with protests, frivolous lawsuits and misinformation campaigns, thereby causing said project to go 50% over budget and fall 2 years behind schedule.

Step 2: Upon completion of the project sue the builders (that would be the taxpaying and transit using public) for going over budget and behind schedule.

Step 3: Win an out of of court settlement and declare it a victory for neighbourhoods, and business owners across the city.

Step 4: Repeat for every public transit project being planned across the city.

Step 5. Blame Toronto's uncontrollable traffic congestion for the decision to move to the 905 and beyond.

Last edited:
Gunns Loop

April 18
[video=youtube;1OTJLOpG7eg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1OTJLOpG7eg[/video]

St. Clair merchants launch $100-million class action over streetcar debacle

March 25, 2010

Megan O’Toole

Read More: http://network.nationalpost.com/NP/...lion-class-action-over-streetcar-debacle.aspx

The city is facing a new storm over the troubled St. Clair streetcar project, in the form of a $100-million lawsuit that casts a shadow over Toronto’s massive planned light-rail expansion. Lawyer Stephen Edell, who is representing dozens of merchants and landlords along St. Clair Avenue West, yesterday issued the claim against the city, the province and the Toronto Transit Commission.“The record of what happened on St. Clair is a clear and obvious one,” Mr. Edell said, citing “many besieged merchants on the street, many who are holding on to their stores by the flimsiest of margins, many of whom have lost their businesses.”

The claim seeks $100-million in damages and a further $5-million in punitive damages against the City of Toronto only. The named plaintiff, Curactive Organic Skin Care Ltd., is acting as a representative party for a group of commercial interests on St. Clair between Bathurst Street and Old Weston Road. The claim alleges a “complete breakdown” in the St. Clair project’s co-ordination, leading to substantial delays that negatively impacted local businesses.

“After construction prematurely began, debate continued about project scope and design, resulting in the uncertainty and confusion caused by changes in project scope,” the claim alleges. “Further, and in particular concerning St. Clair Avenue West from Bathurst Street westwards, chaos and inordinate delays resulted from a lack of supervision, the mismanagement of contractors... and conflict in the oversight and control of the project.”

Similar concerns were cited in a recent report commissioned by the TTC, which decided to review the St. Clair project as it launches Transit City, a $9-billion plan to weave 120 kilometres of light-rail track across Toronto.

st.clair2010.jpg

TC is costing $9 billion now? That's news to me, since the entire Eglinton line is supposed to cost $6 billion

In the picture above: please tell me that wire between the light posts is temporary and not some agency already ruining the efforts to bury all those wires.

Been told it the power feed from one area to another and will go underground once the next section of ROW is put into operation.

I was not thrill when I first saw it last year during construction.

Seeing is believing.

Why are they even rebuilding Gunns Loop when the goal was to extend the streetcar service out to Jane or Scarlett Road? You mean to tell me that over $100 million was spent solely on renovating the preexisting ROW only? Good luck plaintiffs.

Why are they even rebuilding Gunns Loop when the goal was to extend the streetcar service out to Jane or Scarlett Road? You mean to tell me that over $100 million was spent solely on renovating the preexisting ROW only? Good luck plaintiffs.

Well, there's no point in extending it until the Jane LRT is built and that is the last line to be built in the TC schedule, (if it even gets built at all).

Back