Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Agreed. The TYSSE will really throw a lot of our signage for a loop, most of all the ridiculous maps with the physical blinking lights indicating stations en route aboard the TRs, which will have to be retrofitted with a new map AND new arrangement of lights (I believe LEDs but not sure). Why we couldn't have simply used computer screens displaying maps, which can be modified in a single software update, is beyond me.

-Replacing an LCD screen of that size is far more expensive than buying LEDs. One of those LEDs can be bought for only a few cents to a few dollars at most. I'm betting it's at the lower end of that range.
-Typography on LCD screens generally isn't as legible as printed text
-It's far more energy efficient to power 30 LEDs than it is to power a massive LCD screen
-LCDs are more prone to failure than LEDs. These LEDs could very well last 15+ years without incident. You'd be very, very lucky to get that kind of reliability out of an LCD display.
-LCDs have dead pixels. We'll need to swap out the entire display, or at least a huge part of the display, if that happens.
-When an LED fails replacing it is quick and cheap. When a pixel (or anything else) fails on an LCD, you have to uninstall and replace the entire display.

Last edited:
Since we're talking the LED maps on the new trains...(and maybe this has been discussed to death already but I'm sort of new here)...but the colours are completely backwards, right? Green lights for the places you've already been and red where you're going. Green means go...but where I'm going is red...shouldn't red be where i've already been? Like...STOP we're not going in that direction! We're going towards the green. Am I the only one that things they have it completely opposite? And if not, has there been any justification as to why it's set up this way?

Agreed. The TYSSE will really throw a lot of our signage for a loop, most of all the ridiculous maps with the physical blinking lights indicating stations en route aboard the TRs, which will have to be retrofitted with a new map AND new arrangement of lights (I believe LEDs but not sure). Why we couldn't have simply used computer screens displaying maps, which can be modified in a single software update, is beyond me.

The lights have already been pre-built for the subway extension.

8662394716_2fb310c00d_c.jpg

This is what the new map will look like:

15109342851_52e3c55853_c.jpg

I wonder how they will cram the Yonge subway extension.

This map is going to get ridiculously crowded when Finch, Sheppard and Eglinton open. Even more so if they want to add GO RER to it. Maybe we should switch to having only a single line on the horizontal maps above the doors.

I wish they would change the names of the St. Andrew and St. Patrick stations. Osgoode makes sense because Osgoode Hall is at that intersection. However, those two may have some historical references, but most don't.

I wish St Andrew was King West, Osgoode -> Queen West, St Patrick -> Dundas-University maybe since Dundas West is taken. Just so it's easier to navigate & remember.

The lights have already been pre-built for the subway extension.

This is what the new map will look like:

I wonder how they will cram the Yonge subway extension.

Thank god we don't have to throw the whole order of rockets away! But wait.. why are there so few stations on Eglinton??? Noooooo!!

Since we're talking the LED maps on the new trains...(and maybe this has been discussed to death already but I'm sort of new here)...but the colours are completely backwards, right? Green lights for the places you've already been and red where you're going. Green means go...but where I'm going is red...shouldn't red be where i've already been? Like...STOP we're not going in that direction! We're going towards the green. Am I the only one that things they have it completely opposite? And if not, has there been any justification as to why it's set up this way?

You are certainly not alone in the way you feel about that. The use of the lights is exactly backward on those maps. It takes a certain cluelessness to propose green for stations that are past, and even greater collective cluelessness to accept it.

For those worrying about the miniscule amount of power that the LEDs take to light in the first place, they could simply turn off the lights for the stations that the train has visited and only light the ones that it is heading towards. Then it would not matter what colours they used.

Another problem with the use of red & green is colourblindness... about in 1 in 40 people can't distinguish between red & green unless certain shades are chosen.

This map is going to get ridiculously crowded when Finch, Sheppard and Eglinton open. Even more so if they want to add GO RER to it. Maybe we should switch to having only a single line on the horizontal maps above the doors.

Now that's a problem we don't usually have. OH NO our transit system is too large! ;)

Complaints in Toronto will suddenly go from "we have only two rapid transit lines" to, "we have 13 rapid transit lines! That's too much to fit!"

And yes, we're on track to have 12 or 13 rapid transit lines within the next 5 years (8 if you don't include GO RER)

Last edited:
My bad, 15 lines actually. 8 without RER:

1. Yonge-University-Spadina Line
2. Bloor-Danforth Line
3. Scarborough Line
4. Sheppard Line
5. Eglinton Line
6. Finch West LRT
7. Sheppard East LRT
8. Relief Line
9. Lakeshore East RER
10. Stouville RER