Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I think Allen-Sheppard would be a far better name - it would be out of this world.

Sadly the naming convention doesn't seem to work that way: at Bloor-Yonge and Sheppard-Yonge, the east-west name seems to come before the north-south.

Though as for the thought of an Allen-Sheppard station,
ohYY5.jpg

If they changed all the signs to say Northbound to Sheppard West now, then in a couple of years they'll have to change them all again to say VCC.

Still, they would be smart to start producing a year's worth of stickers (to be applied immediately following the Pan Am Games—we wouldn't want visitors to see stickers). The changing of a station name will add significant confusion to the opening of the extension, and that confusion should be given several months to be settled before the section up to Vaughan Metropolitan Pretensions Centre station opens.

Still, they would be smart to start producing a year's worth of stickers (to be applied immediately following the Pan Am Games—we wouldn't want visitors to see stickers). The changing of a station name will add significant confusion to the opening of the extension, and that confusion should be given several months to be settled before the section up to Vaughan Metropolitan Pretensions Centre station opens.

Agreed. The TYSSE will really throw a lot of our signage for a loop, most of all the ridiculous maps with the physical blinking lights indicating stations en route aboard the TRs, which will have to be retrofitted with a new map AND new arrangement of lights (I believe LEDs but not sure). Why we couldn't have simply used computer screens displaying maps, which can be modified in a single software update, is beyond me.

I'd simply confuse everyone once, go cold turkey, and change the name, the first day that the extension opens.

Agreed. The TYSSE will really throw a lot of our signage for a loop, most of all the ridiculous maps with the physical blinking lights indicating stations en route aboard the TRs, which will have to be retrofitted with a new map AND new arrangement of lights (I believe LEDs but not sure). Why we couldn't have simply used computer screens displaying maps, which can be modified in a single software update, is beyond me.

It's probably not a huge deal to create a new map with LED lights..

.. Why we couldn't have simply used computer screens displaying maps, which can be modified in a single software update, is beyond me.
Worst of all, they do have LCD screens on the TRs, but they are displaying information which can easily be placed on physical banners.

Sadly the naming convention doesn't seem to work that way: at Bloor-Yonge and Sheppard-Yonge, the east-west name seems to come before the north-south.

It could also be alphabetical though. Unless we have a Zebra or Zoo line, Yonge will always be alphabetically last.

Probably not until the extension opens, as the new signage at Union still says Downsview and the TTC won't want to change the signs until then. They should have done when they put the new signs up.

I wish they would change the names of the St. Andrew and St. Patrick stations. Osgoode makes sense because Osgoode Hall is at that intersection. However, those two may have some historical references, but most don't.

I wish they would change the names of the St. Andrew and St. Patrick stations. Osgoode makes sense because Osgoode Hall is at that intersection. However, those two may have some historical references, but most don't.

All of the stations on the University line (with the exception of the terminus stations) are named for significant buildings nearby. Queen's Park and Museum are obvious, but St. Andrew and St. Patrick are named for nearby historic churches. Osgoode, as you mentioned, is named for Osgoode Hall.

Personally, I don't mind the names at all, especially when on the station walls the perpendicular street is also included. It gives a sense of history to it. One thing I would like to see though is a plaque or something at each station explaining the historical significance of the namesake.

It's probably not a huge deal to create a new map with LED lights..

True, but had some foresight been given, each TR would not have to be brought in for maintenance to install a new map at all.

Worst of all, they do have LCD screens on the TRs, but they are displaying information which can easily be placed on physical banners.

As above, if these screens were better-located and used for map information instead, we could be avoiding this issue entirely.

It could also be alphabetical though. Unless we have a Zebra or Zoo line, Yonge will always be alphabetically last.

Interesting point. If I recall correctly wasn't the terminus station on the cancelled Eglinton West line going to be named Eglinton-Allen or Eglinton West-Allen?

Back