Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

So the CBC just tweeted out.

It appears the TTC commission is making up --on the fly--station names for 5 stations that will make up York subway extension.#sl

This cannot be good.

EDIT: Black Creek Pioneer Village Station people. It's official (I think)!

Last edited:
@CBCColinButler: #TTC has voted on new station names: Sheppard West, Downsview Park, Finch West, York University, Black Creek Pioneer Village. #sl

he then tweed this

@CBCColinButler: Current #TTC Downsview Station becomes Sheppard West and Black Creek Pioneer Village Station will be nowhere near actual site. #sl

Changing Downsview to Sheppard West, and Sheppard West to Downsview Park makes sense.

But Black Creek Pioneer Village Station, this is ridiculous... why not just call it UPS station then? Why go ruin Steeles West, when they should've renamed VMC to Vaughan Centre.

But lets wait to see whether these decisions are final.

These are the final decisions. They've been looking at this at the commission for 2 years, but this is the first time they've actually made a decision.

That's sad.

This makes me think of Bessarion Station, which should be named Burbank Station, since Burbank Drive is actually a much longer street than Bessarion Road (which is a short dead end street). Bessarion Station could also really increase its usage if the City built a pedestrian bridge over the 401 from the end of Bessarion Rd south to the Bannatyne Dr/Woodsworth Rd area (currently served by the 115).

Last edited:
wow so downsview stn will be renamed shepherd west, and the site at downsview parks gonna be called downsview park station. wow that i do not mind, but why pioneer village? why not call it steeles west, and for vaughan metrowhat, they can call it concord statoin because its actually located in concord ontario, even though steeles west is technically also in concord ontario, well half of it, the half north of steeles

It should be Sheppard west, Downsview, Finch west, York University, Steeles west, Highway 407, and Vaughn Centre.

why cant we call vaughan centre as concord?
just remember, these names have to go on the sign in the front of the train, right now it says finch or downsview
if they name the station to vaughan metropolitan corporate centre, they have to modify every subway train with new signs and make them bigger, which cost $$$ why cus some politician from vaughan metropolitan corporate centre paid off the ttc

Are you serious? Black Creek Pioneer Village station? That is only marginally better than Vaughan Metropolitan Centre station. How many people getting off at this stations are going to be going to Black Creek Pioneer Village? How are they going to fit that on the roof?

STW_Main_Entrance_ma.jpg

Why stop there with the craziness. Highway 407 Express Toll Route station, York University Schulich Building, and James Cardinal McGuigan Catholic High School station would fit just as nicely.

why cant we call vaughan centre as concord?
just remember, these names have to go on the sign in the front of the train, right now it says finch or downsview
if they name the station to vaughan metropolitan corporate centre, they have to modify every subway train with new signs and make them bigger, which cost $$$ why cus some politician from vaughan metropolitan corporate centre paid off the ttc

Or they could just call it Vaughan, without the metropolitan centre. The stations on the GO network aren't called Downtown Kitchener, Downtown Guelph, Downtown Milton, Downtown Brampton, etc...

When Karen Stintz read out the final station list, she couldn't help but laugh when she got to Black Creek Pioneer Village. She thought it was stupid too.

Last edited:
The renaming of the stations will be back on the table if one of the Commissioner can get the Commission to reopen the voting at the Oct meeting. One of the Commissioner who voted for the name wants to change their vote for the name to against it.

Personal, I believe the stations should not be name after streets and be given a name to either represent the area in a naming contest. Only York U and the current Downsview names should be used and the rest to open to public input.

Given the fact that no one has every used this line and stations, it is not hard to call them X before day one as well on day one, it will take time for people to get use to the station names as well location.

I had very little problem finding stations in various cities in Europe by looking at the city map where I wanted to go to and see what station was near that location, even making more than one transfer. Those stations were not call after streets or location in most cases.

On another note, there is a line in the report saying the cost of the line is under review and reading it, could be interpreter as the line is over budget. Over budget, what a great surprise since I and other have said this from day one.

I had very little problem finding stations in various cities in Europe by looking at the city map where I wanted to go to and see what station was near that location, even making more than one transfer. Those stations were not call after streets or location in most cases.

But European cities are not laid out in a perfect grid like Toronto. In a nodal city like London, people find their way around by referring to areas (e.g. Islington, Hackney, Shoreditch), so of course it makes sense to name stations after areas. Conversely, in a grid city like Toronto, people find their way around by referring to grid coordinates (e.g. Yonge & Bloor, Queen & Spadina, Jane & Steeles), so the most logical and useful thing is to name stations after the grid. That's the way other grid cities do it (look at New York or Chicago), and it's not because of some lack of imagination -- the grid makes navigation easier, so it would be silly to ignore it. If you need a Steeles West bus, go to Steeles West station. Simple.

Back