Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

What I noticed was that there was no retail, but I guess if the stations aren't going to be busy....

Not even a wine vending machine, like in Hong Kong.
mtr2.jpg

From link.

Something I can't help notice is that there are very few building connections on the extension. The main connections are at VMC (I explain in the post), while all the other stations don't have any. I've read somewhere before that York University Station was suppose to connect to the Archives of Ontario building, is that still a thing (not likely)? And yes, I do understand that most station have panels that can be removed to create new connections, but there are very little on opening day.

I'm sure more will materialize as developments pop up

Hoping that two of the six stations on this extension will have more usage than Toronto's least used subway station is an exceptionally low standard to hold TYSSE to

Sometimes people cannot admit they were wrong. It would be political suicide to tell people your multi-billion dollar extension that you forced on the TTC (and by extension the City of Toronto) is the largest white elephant this province has ever seen. It would be even worse given the optics of it being an extension into a liberal riding pushed for by a former liberal cabinet minister.

With everything that happened with the gas plants no doubt they would rather keep it open with 1 rider per hour than say we f****d up.

Toronto and the GTA is the largest concentration of votes in Ontario and it is an election year. If you admit that you forced a multi-billion dollar white elephant on the TTC that will end up costing them millions more per year to operate you may as well give up trying to win the election.

Parts of it are far better than other stations, it's really a patchwork though, as this illustrates:

Even some top-coat on the concrete would go a long way to improving it. That's *glum*...on a good day.

Over the years I've grown to love concrete, both as structural elements or finishes. However with this at platform level (where it counts the most), I'm not a fan at all. Kinda scratch my head at those who vociferously claim it's way better than tiles found in our other stations.

To put this in further perspective, our current least used station (Bessarion) carries 3,000 people per day. Highway 407 would be lucky to have a sixth the ridership. There are probably hudreds of bus and streetcar stops in the city that have greater ridership than Highway 407. The lack of ridership at this station is going to be unprecedented.

Hm, I don't think it's fair to exclude Ellesmere (1,560) and Midland (2,410) in the subway rankings, which would be first and second lowest stations respectively. Line 3 is a subway by most metrics, even TTC's. That being said the line was done quick and as an experiment, and any sane person today would've consolidated their ridiculously close proximity into a single station prior to construction - which would've been done with any upgrade plan regardless. Right there would make it ~4000, or more if it weren't for its present capacity issues. Plus their costs would be like 1/50th of any TYSSE station.

So yeah factoring that in Bessarion would take the cake. And I agree that all things considered, right now, it seems logical to conclude Hwy 407 having Bessarion levels. And it's not like we got proper BCAs or reports when this Vaughan portion was added (forced) on at the last minute by politicians, so there really is no benchmark to gauge how successful 407's numbers are going into the future. It's an anomaly for the history books now.

How about a virtual shroom vending machine wall?

That would require platform edge doors. Though if memory serves (having a pizza related mishap) the effects of such a vending machine would permit flying through the tunnels with my dead grandfather while hearing colors and watching my own birth from a yellow submarine.

That would require platform edge doors. Though if memory serves (having a pizza related mishap) the effects of such a vending machine would permit flying through the tunnels with my dead grandfather while hearing colors and watching my own birth from a yellow submarine.

That's what missing!! The platform doors!

Heh, platform edge doors of perception.

Remember purple skies and lightning bolts when biking around zoomin. Stopped hard hallucinogens in hs many years ago, but by then knew salvia > shrooms. No multi hour devotion, it finds the chase and cuts to it (and is 1000x more potent). Oops, o/t lol.

Is there a plaque commemorating the death at York U station? There's almost certainly a plaque commemorating the subway opening, and a small plaque besides/near that would be appropriate (unless the family objects).

You can’t compare HK and Toronto. One has free markets, low taxes, and a dynamic economy. And the other is Toronto.

If only the TTC was also a property developer and landlord.

It is pretty impressive that Toronto managed to finish 6 subway stations/8 kilometers in a matter of 9 years. What an achievement. Now we can focus on spending the next 10 years in building that one stop subway in Scarborough. With that speed, we will catch up with Madrid soon. I am very excited.

It is pretty impressive that Toronto managed to finish 6 subway stations/8 kilometers in a matter of 9 years. What an achievement. Now we can focus on spending the next 10 years in building that one stop subway in Scarborough. With that speed, we will catch up with Madrid soon. I am very excited.

just to confirm, you are being sarcastic right 6_6

Back