Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

The new station is located within Downsview Park, and is closer to where events at the park are held. The former Downsview station is also on Sheppard West.

It may be on the other side of the street, but its still as far from the main park grounds. That said, it's not really the name, but the logic behind the name change that I find baffling. They're spending $800,000 to avoid "confusion" of people not able to know the difference between Downsview Station and Downsview Park Station but the confusion of calling it "Sheppard West formally Downsview Station" will be solved by "get use to it" argument. Wouldn't it make more sense to save the money and tell people to get use to having two stations with the word "Downsview" in it?

Wouldn't it make more sense to name the unopened station Sheppard West since its on Sheppard West? But somehow renaming an existing know station as Downsview Station to "Sheppard West formally Downsview" station so an new never used before station can call itself "Downsview Park" is more confusing? I get the whole "it will be confusing at first, but people will get use to it" but that argument could be applied to having two stations with the name Downsview it will be confusing at first, but you'll get use to it. But if its for geographical reasons, why then are they renaming Eglinton West to Cedarvale, even though Cedarvale isn't on Google Maps?

What's my point? None of their arguments for changing the name makes sense?

It makes sense. Sheppard West is at Sheppard Avenue West and Allen Road. Downsview Park is at the park along Sheppard Avenue West. The station is called Sheppard West. "Formerly Downsview" is a mere end note.

It makes sense. Sheppard West is at Sheppard Avenue West and Allen Road. Downsview Park is at the park along Sheppard Avenue West.

That would make sense, but Eglinton West Station at Allen Road and Eglinton Avenue West will become Cedarvale. By that logic, wouldn't it make more sense to name it after Chesswood Station since its beside Chesswood Neighborhood?

The name isn't really a bother, what I find annoying is that they're spending $800,000 to avoid a so called "confusion" and to solve the confusion of the sudden name change is solved by "people will get use to it" argument. I find this really a waste of money when they could have spent that else where.

Yeah, I know we're all biding our time until the subway actually opens but this discussion about the names is so silly. It's like going, "gee, Barenaked Ladies is a funny name for band." It's their name. It's been 20 years, who cares?

And, really, we do know "formerly Downsview" is not actually part of the station name, right? That it's just there now, temporarily, so people aren't confused? What a weird thing to get hot and bothered about...

And, really, we do know "formerly Downsview" is not actually part of the station name, right? That it's just there now, temporarily, so people aren't confused? What a weird thing to get hot and bothered about...

From what I read around the "formerly Downsview" subtitle will be part of the station name and You Are Here signage for the foreseeable future. Only the voice over announcements will say "Sheppard West".

What I find confusing is that they're spending $800,000 to avoid a so called confusion that isn't that confusing to begin with.

What I find confusing is that they're spending $800,000 to avoid a so called confusion that isn't that confusing to begin with.
so, in your mind...they are spending that money to create a confusion!

most don't see it that way but I get what you're saying.

so, in your mind...they are spending that money to create a confusion!

most don't see it that way but I get what you're saying.

According to the TTC they're making the change because people seem to have a problem discerning Downsview Park Station from Downsview Station. However, to deal with the problem of the change the name of Downsview Station they're answer is basically people will get use to it. So wouldn't it make sense to save the money and tell people to get use to having two stations with the Downsview in it?

However, to deal with the problem of the change the name of Downsview Station they're answer is basically people will get use to it.

They're not saying that though. That's why "formerly Downsview" is on every single sign. Yes, *eventually* people will get used to Downsview being Sheppard West, just like they got used to Sheppard being Sheppard-Yonge. But it's a lot better to force a change than to have two nearly-identical station names right next to each other.

We live in a city where a significant number of people can't tell the difference between The West Mall and The Westway, or between Church Street Downtown and Church Street in North York. Having Downsview Station and Downsview Park Station in the same general area is a bad idea.

I think the last few pages are proof that they should probably be spending even more.

The new station is in Downsview Park, ergo it would have been confusing if the station next door was the one called Downsview.

I find the entire thing, temporary name and all, entirely sensible and, neither in the past, present or future, remotely confusing, counter-intuitive, wasteful, pointless or otherwise troublesome. But I'm happy it gives us something to talk about.

Interestingly, Queen and Queen's Park stations are closer together at ~1.23km vs. Downsview/Sheppard W and Downsview Park stations at ~1.40km. I wonder if we ought to rename Queen or Queen's Park, then, if it confuses so many people?

I find the entire thing, temporary name and all, entirely sensible and, neither in the past, present or future, remotely confusing, counter-intuitive, wasteful, pointless or otherwise troublesome. But I'm happy it gives us something to talk about.

So does anyone here have good Netflix recommendations? :)

From what I read around the "formerly Downsview" subtitle will be part of the station name and You Are Here signage for the foreseeable future. Only the voice over announcements will say "Sheppard West".

They should have made the switch as soon as they made the decision. Let's say 2012?
  • For three years its Sheppard West (formerly Downsview).
  • For three years its just Sheppard West.
  • Then for 2018, there is Donwsview Park and Sheppard West (No such thing as "Donwsview" showing up on 2 stations).

According to the TTC they're making the change because people seem to have a problem discerning Downsview Park Station from Downsview Station. However, to deal with the problem of the change the name of Downsview Station they're answer is basically people will get use to it. So wouldn't it make sense to save the money and tell people to get use to having two stations with the Downsview in it?
This is the part where I see a flaw in your "argument"....they are not telling people to "get used to it"...they are saying publicly that people "will get used to it" which is a different thing....and they are helping with the process of "getting used to it" by running social media programs.....getting the word out to the media....adding the "formerly downs view" ....etc.

I think the last few pages are proof that they should probably be spending even more.

The new station is in Downsview Park, ergo it would have been confusing if the station next door was the one called Downsview.

If it is going to happen whether you spend money or it or not, the best course of action should be just do it and not spend any money on interim measures. At least you'd save part of the 800K - money better spent on a zillion other priorities the system has (like new signage to replace worn out ones at many stations?)

AoD

Back