Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I'm surprised they are changing Eglinton West station but we're still going to have 3 stations containing "Lawrence". I guess it'll be knocked down to two when the RT is converted to a subway

Lawrence West should be kept since it's carved into the rock. If they changed it they would put some cheap plastic over it.

Two stations with same name on the same line, that aren't even next to each other.

My gosh, how will people cope?

View attachment 107791

Just because it exists elsewhere doesn't mean it's not potentially confusing. Londonist admits that it's confusing:

Giving its name to numerous rail stops, Acton is the only part of London with all four compass points represented in its station names. There are other stations on top of those — and there used to be even more. To add to the confusion, many of them have had name changes.

But it's not like they used the same name multiple times on the same line. They added a word to make each station name unique. It can be still be done better.

Just because it exists elsewhere doesn't mean it's not potentially confusing. Londonist admits that it's confusing:
But they are not calling to change it - in fact they seem to be celebrating it, noting that "The question really is, why can’t every part of London be like Acton?"

But it's not like they used the same name multiple times on the same line. They added a word to make each station name unique.
I don't think we are planning to use the same name twice - presuming that people can deal with the new TTC station on Line 5 being Mount Pleasant, the same as the GO station on the Kitchener line in Peel.

I'm surprised they are changing Eglinton West station but we're still going to have 3 stations containing "Lawrence". I guess it'll be knocked down to two when the RT is converted to a subway
Is Eglington West completely changing it;'s name or is just the Corrosion Stion going to be called Cedarvale?

Still a questionable choice, considering Allen was available as a naming option.

Allen wouldn't distinguish it from Glencairn, Lawrence West, Yorkdale, Wilson, or Sheppard W stations, which are all located on Allen Rd.

This is beyond beating a dead horse, but I think they should have either kept it as Eglinton West or changed it to Allen-Eglinton. Don't even get me started on keeping the station at Eglinton and Yonge as "Eglinton" which doesn't differentiate it from the ~30 eventual planned stops along Eglinton once Line 5 is fully built...should absolutely have been changed to Yonge-Eglinton.

Last edited:
Lawrence West should be kept since it's carved into the rock. If they changed it they would put some cheap plastic over it.
Change it to Lawrence Heights!

Allen wouldn't distinguish it from Glencairn, Lawrence West, Yorkdale, Wilson, or Sheppard W stations, which are all located on Allen Rd.

This is beyond beating a dead horse, but I think they should have either kept it as Eglinton West or changed it to Allen-Eglinton. Don't even get me started on keeping the station at Eglinton and Yonge as "Eglinton" which doesn't differentiate it from the ~30 eventual planned stops along Eglinton once Line 5 is fully built...should absolutely have been changed to Yonge-Eglinton.
Should call it Yonge-Eglinton Centre to indicate it's an urban core.

TTC thinks they made a mistake by renaming Sheppard into Sheppard-Yonge. One of Brad Ross' tweets mention it.

Yes, but further down the line we already have a Spadina Station occurring on Spadina Road, south of Dupont Station which is also situated on Spadina Road. Obviously having the street namesake occurring once to name a station, and having subsequent stations have their own names based on the cross-intersection would not be a big deal.

Allen as a station name is unique, and pays homage to a prominent "supermayor" in Toronto's past history. Like Bloor-Yonge, Eglinton West-Allen would have a nice, easy wayfinding ring to it I think most people would get accustomed to.

It's a missed opportunity; just like the decisions for naming the Keele, Bayview and Leslie stops on the Crosstown were, but I digress.

If you permit bureaucrats to do this in the 2000s you get this debate and if you let the public do it you get crap like "Boaty McBoatface". I think I wish for a reign of benevolent dictators to remove me from this stupidity.

If each word in this forum were a dollar of transit funding, I think we'd have the Sheppard Crosstown done by now.

If you permit bureaucrats to do this in the 2000s you get this debate and if you let the public do it you get crap like "Boaty McBoatface". I think I wish for a reign of benevolent dictators to remove me from this stupidity.

If each word in this forum were a dollar of transit funding, I think we'd have the Sheppard Crosstown done by now.

Personally I think if we ever get high speed rail it should be called the Canadian Super Choo Choo.

Wouldn't it make more sense to name the unopened station Sheppard West since its on Sheppard West? But somehow renaming an existing know station as Downsview Station to "Sheppard West formally Downsview" station so an new never used before station can call itself "Downsview Park" is more confusing? I get the whole "it will be confusing at first, but people will get use to it" but that argument could be applied to having two stations with the name Downsview it will be confusing at first, but you'll get use to it. But if its for geographical reasons, why then are they renaming Eglinton West to Cedarvale, even though Cedarvale isn't on Google Maps?

What's my point? None of their arguments for changing the name makes sense?

Wouldn't it make more sense to name the unopened station Sheppard West since its on Sheppard West? But somehow renaming an existing know station as Downsview Station to "Sheppard West formally Downsview" station so an new never used before station can call itself "Downsview Park" is more confusing? I get the whole "it will be confusing at first, but people will get use to it" but that argument could be applied to having two stations with the name Downsview it will be confusing at first, but you'll get use to it. But if its for geographical reasons, why then are they renaming Eglinton West to Cedarvale, even though Cedarvale isn't on Google Maps?

What's my point? None of their arguments for changing the name makes sense?

The new station is located within Downsview Park, and is closer to where events at the park are held. The former Downsview station is also on Sheppard West.

Back