Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Its seems that highway 407 is soo poorly designed and exacerbated by the fact that they had a virtual clean slate to do whatever they wanted.
I think removing the bus only lane at the Jane intersection and moving the inbound traffic and lights into it may improve the situation. If that doesn’t work, widen the road to the south. It can’t be that hard to make the bus terminal entrance less likely to accidentally enter. Then again, we have Queens Quay as an example.

Let's hope the line's success will not be dependent on a limited number of sports events.
I kind of agree, but worth pointing out that between the various pro sports teams -- Leafs, Jays, Raptors, Toronto FC, and then there's the Argos and Toronto Wolfpack -- we must be talking 200 games annually or so.

I kind of agree, but worth pointing out that between the various pro sports teams -- Leafs, Jays, Raptors, Toronto FC, and then there's the Argos and Toronto Wolfpack -- we must be talking 200 games annually or so.

It does make for weird scenes at VMC (and Highway 407 to a lesser extent) though. Throngs of people stampeding to one exit whenever a train arrives, and then dead quiet until the next train. At Finch, Kipling and Kennedy, there would also be many people walking to the trains, waiting for other people/their ride, just hanging around etc. Obviously there are these people at VMC, but much fewer in number.

It looks like there is some severe misunderstanding of parking and drop off locations for the subway. Apparently the 407 lot is regularly overflowing onto illegal street parking, while the Pioneer Village lot remains mostly empty. Similar thing at Vaughan Metro Centre, and they are actually charging for parking there. There needs to be a lot more communication that the primary commuter lot is at Pioneer Village, not Vaughan or Highway 407.

PV lot is nowhere near empty. The times I've parked there, it was well over 3/4 full after AM rush.

The point being it's not empty. But god, it's like a GO commuter station. It's practically empty by 6:30.

PV could be a lot beter marked. There are lots of new posts in the ground, so maybe that's coming. It appears very well used already, but has lots of space left. It's huge.... haven't been up there at night but it actually could be rather spooky after dark.

Really, they need better wayfinding (ie signage for motorists) all the way from the 407-Jane interchange to PV to lead people to the lot. The wayfinding might as well ignore the existence of the 407 lot altogether as it's not going to help anyone much at this point.

Why they bothered with such a small lot at 407, I don't understand.

- Paul

The utilization rates will probably drop when parking moves to be paid parking in April, but yes. I was always amazed at the 407 station parking size as well, there is plenty of space for a massive lot there.

At VMC yesterday at rush hour, there was a lineup of five or so people entering the station paying cash fumbling to find exact change. Someone had a $5 bill and someone else needed change from a $20 bill. The guy with the five paid with the whole bill and the CSA let the person with the $20 on because of that, even though the TTC was still shortchanged $1.50. It looks as though getting rid of the collectors may be a bad idea.

At VMC yesterday at rush hour, there was a lineup of five or so people entering the station paying cash fumbling to find exact change. Someone had a $5 bill and someone else needed change from a $20 bill. The guy with the five paid with the whole bill and the CSA let the person with the $20 on because of that, even though the TTC was still shortchanged $1.50. It looks as though getting rid of the collectors may be a bad idea.

This is only a temporary issue. Once limited use media rolls out later this year, people will use the large presto vending machine to buy single use paper presto cards; from what I understand, those machines accept both bills and coins and give change, as well as accepting both tap and insert debit and credit. However, I agree that it is silly and the presto vending machines should have been active on day 1, I don't understand why they aren't--the machines are there, they vend and reload presto cards no problem, just the single fare option is greyed out. The plan, as I recall, was always to have that in effect on day 1 of the TYSSE.

This is only a temporary issue. Once limited use media rolls out later this year, people will use the large presto vending machine to buy single use paper presto cards; from what I understand, those machines accept both bills and coins and give change, as well as accepting both tap and insert debit and credit. However, I agree that it is silly and the presto vending machines should have been active on day 1, I don't understand why they aren't--the machines are there, they vend and reload presto cards no problem, just the single fare option is greyed out. The plan, as I recall, was always to have that in effect on day 1 of the TYSSE.
The question is, can you buy a paper Presto card with a Presto card? :cool:

The question is, can you buy a paper Presto card with a Presto card? :cool:

Haha, I don't think so.

But in all seriousness, I really think fare payment will be EXCELLENT on the TTC by the end of the year. Firstly, the presto card is an excellent solution for the large majority of people who use transit more than once or twice in a decade. Even tourists, if they ride the UPX in, already save the full issuance cost of the card when riding the UPX on a round trip, then local transit savings are on top of that, plus the convenience factor. GTA residents who occasionally visit the city will likely save in the long run. Any regular commuter should obviously have it.

Unfortunately a lot of people seem to be too lazy to get one. I've ran into people paying cash at my local GO bus stop who are regular riders taking the bus several times a week, I've asked a couple of them why they don't get a presto card, given the discount in fares and not holding up everybody on the bus, and they never have a good reason.

For the small minority of people who really don't need a presto card, taking debit/credit on all new streetcars and, this year, in all subway stations, is a giant leap forward. I carry some emergency cash with me, but many people I know, from teenagers to middle-aged adults, don't carry any cash or change with them ever anymore. Taking credit cards is a huge usability win for tourists for whom a Presto card doesn't make sense, and it's the standard in many parts of the world.

the GO thing of buying tickets at the station always confused me - I mean the presto card would pay for itself in 3-4 round trips.. It truly amazes me how many people still buy paper tickets.. I rarely take GO any more but even now I would still want one for the couple of times a year I do take it.

Haha, I don't think so.

But in all seriousness, I really think fare payment will be EXCELLENT on the TTC by the end of the year. Firstly, the presto card is an excellent solution for the large majority of people who use transit more than once or twice in a decade. Even tourists, if they ride the UPX in, already save the full issuance cost of the card when riding the UPX on a round trip, then local transit savings are on top of that, plus the convenience factor. GTA residents who occasionally visit the city will likely save in the long run. Any regular commuter should obviously have it.

Unfortunately a lot of people seem to be too lazy to get one. I've ran into people paying cash at my local GO bus stop who are regular riders taking the bus several times a week, I've asked a couple of them why they don't get a presto card, given the discount in fares and not holding up everybody on the bus, and they never have a good reason.

For the small minority of people who really don't need a presto card, taking debit/credit on all new streetcars and, this year, in all subway stations, is a giant leap forward. I carry some emergency cash with me, but many people I know, from teenagers to middle-aged adults, don't carry any cash or change with them ever anymore. Taking credit cards is a huge usability win for tourists for whom a Presto card doesn't make sense, and it's the standard in many parts of the world.

I should also note that not all cities have adopted the card so it makes sense why people are still fumbling with change (I'm looking at you Waterloo and Barrie).

Back