Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Although there was certainly a healthy amount of people going southbound at most stations with the exception of Downsview Park and Highway 407.

I guess the Park & Ride and GO connections aren't generating ridership at these stations after all.

I didn't notice if it had come up at all.......

Are there any regular Yonge-line users who have noticed any relief/new capacity since the TYSSE opened?

Certainly there was some hope that a sizable portion of Finch West Bus riders and a portion of those on services further north would use the new extension instead of commuting through Finch, down Yonge.

I don't think there would be many downtown-bound office commuters along the Finch corridor west of Keele. More retail and industrial workers there.

I don't think there would be many downtown-bound office commuters along the Finch corridor west of Keele. More retail and industrial workers there.

Finch West was a very busy route, and one of the major feeders into Finch Stn. The diversion of some commuters off of Yonge was an explicit rationale for the extension.

There is quite a bit of residential density at both Jane/Finch and Finch/Weston.

I'm not sure what % were SB Yonge commuters for work or student purposes prior and what percent might now be choosing the new line; that is what I'm curious about.

Steeles West Riders and some from Vaughan might also be diverting.

Thank goodness there are so many transit experts who know where we all live and work, and plan to live and work. And fortunately no one will ever change their habits should transit improve in an area. The models don't show it. After all the studies say... And we all know that predicting human behavior is an easy and perfect science like Newtonian physics. Goodness knows the studies by the experts are practically the word of God written on stone tablets.

And you all wonder why nothing got built for thirty years.

I made an interesting observation last night at 407 station. Commuters from the park and ride lot were travelling the wrong way on the park and ride access road (rather than take the access road all the way around the lot) using the passenger pick up drop off slip lane to get into the proper side of the road, then using both the transit only lane and the regular vehicle left turn lane to create double left turn lanes, and proceeding on the transit only signal (white rectangle). Maybe im a bit anal but this seems to be a major design flaw. Certainly drivers should be familliar with transit only lanes and signals but through either ignorance or lack of care but measures should be put into place to prevent stuff like this. No? It was late night at the time so traffic was light but when the station is busy i see many points of conflict.

Admittedly even i wound up going the wrong way . There doesnt seem to be very good signage as to which way to exit. I had to refer to a plan image to see how the station is supposed to work

LMAO. I work at a firm in one of the biggest financial district towers, and I've talked to three people there who are coming in from the new Finch West station.

Last edited:
LMAO. I work at a firm in one of the biggest financial district towers, and I've talked to three people there who are coming in from the new Finch West station.
Why are you laughing at this? People are using transit, it’s nothing to look down upon. Correct me if you’re not meaning this.

Why are you laughing at this? People are using transit, it’s nothing to look down upon. Correct me if you’re not meaning this.

I don't think anyone is literally laughing when they say LMAO or LOL nowadays. It's basically a filler, like "um" or "uh"

I think he is ‘laughing his ass off’ at the blanket declaration which may have little to do with facts and much to do with an opinion that is based only on a perception.

I made an interesting observation last night at 407 station. Commuters from the park and ride lot were travelling the wrong way on the park and ride access road (rather than take the access road all the way around the lot) using the passenger pick up drop off slip lane to get into the proper side of the road, then using both the transit only lane and the regular vehicle left turn lane to create double left turn lanes, and proceeding on the transit only signal (white rectangle). Maybe im a bit anal but this seems to be a major design flaw. Certainly drivers should be familliar with transit only lanes and signals but through either ignorance or lack of care but measures should be put into place to prevent stuff like this. No? It was late night at the time so traffic was light but when the station is busy i see many points of conflict.

Admittedly even i wound up going the wrong way . There doesnt seem to be very good signage as to which way to exit. I had to refer to a plan image to see how the station is supposed to work

Agreed. I and several people on twitter wrote to Joanna Kervin, Brad Ross, and TTChelps on twitter about this on opening day. You can see how seriously they took that feedback.

I looked at a station plan before going and still couldn't figure out how to exit for a while. Almost ended up just saying screw it and taking the one way out. Finally got to the right roadway and almost got in a head on collision with someone who was going the wrong way. Barely any signage or lane markings anywhere. Insanity.

Also, I drive an electric vehicle and there are 5-10 hybrid/electric reserved parking spaces...opening day most of them were taken up by SUVs. Signs say vehicles would be tagged/towed but no enforcement team in sight. Disappointing when all new GO station construction (new stations e.g. Bloomington and new garages e.g. Maple and Rutherford) will include mandatory electric vehicle charging stations starting when Gormley opened in 2016.

Thankfully with the new Barrie AD2W service and Downsview Park being open I have very little reason to drive to any of the new stations except maybe a rare passenger pick up/drop off, which is much more intelligently laid out at 407 (plus good PPUDO sites at every station between VMC and Wilson).

Last edited:

Back