Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Yes, because we all know how capable some locals are when it comes to designing subway stations. Museum for example..... oh wait, maybe we're not.

I wouldn't give credit to Diamond + Schmitt for Museum Station. We know who the real designers of the station were... the Greeks, the Chinese, the Egyptians (especially Akhenaton), the Haida and the Toltecs.

I just hope they choose a better colour palette than the Sheppard line because I would love to know what they were thinking with Don Mills station. I think my worry about using local shops is that the ttc would probably be more inclined to push them around to get some ttc design choices worked through.

Don Mills station's design was inspired by the local geology. I don't find any problems with the Sheppard subway designs. I've seen the Sheppard Subway cited frequently as an example of art in subway stations worldwide.

For those who criticise Sheppard's looks, remember much of the visual style of Sheppard was described as "frills", and cut. That doesn't excuse the font and signage though.

They also went with a generic white tile in some areas. But hey, everything goes with white!

Besides that, I don't mind the concrete sections with the fuchsia strip. They turned out decently, yet more money will be necessary for station design in the future. Savings can be found by not overbuilding.

Contracts Update:

The TTC has awarded a contract for design of the Spadina subway extension tunnels. Hatch Mott MacDonald Ltd. has been selected to provide the design for 6.6-kilometres of twin tunnels, as well as any associated structures.

At its November 26 meeting, the TTC awarded the $12-million contract to Hatch Mott MacDonald. The firm has previously done work for the TTC, providing the tunnel design for the Sheppard Subway line.

Update of project funding breakdown:
  • Total Cost $2.6 billion
  • The federal government has committed $697 million to the project and has already provided $75 million.
  • The province has dedicated $870 million to the extension through the Move Ontario Trust.
  • The City of Toronto will contribute $526 million
  • York Region has committed $352 million

With the city always lacking money how did it come up with $526 million?
Over an 8-year or so period. So about $60-million a year. Which is about how much they paid to rebuild the Dundas streetcar line last year.

But good point. If the city was going to drop half-a-billion, it would be nice to see them doing it on the DRL instead. Though I have to admit traffic around where the Spadina extension is going is terrible.

I was wondering since we're talking about tunnels anywase, how come in other parts of the world the subway tunnels are soo wide, and have lots of clearance for the subway I.E. Madrid, and in others like Toronto the clearance is very small?, is there any reason or merrit to why they do this in some places and not in others?

I was wondering since we're talking about tunnels anywase, how come in other parts of the world the subway tunnels are soo wide, and have lots of clearance for the subway I.E. Madrid, and in others like Toronto the clearance is very small?, is there any reason or merrit to why they do this in some places and not in others?

Different places have different geology, and I'd assume that has a lot to do with it.

Update:

A report submitted to the Government Management Committee recommends Toronto's real estate director be authorized to enter into negotiations to acquire 32 properties for the Spadina extension. The properties are required to build the stations within Toronto’s boundaries as well as the construction of tunnels and other aspects of the subway infrastructure. No cost specific figures are included in the report except for a general estimate of $60 million for total project property acquisition.

Back