Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

Also from the April CEO's report:
The TTC continues to receive plaudits and recognition for its work, most recently a national award for our “We Move You” campaign in conjunction with the National Ballet of Canada.
It would have been great if the TTC hired subway ballerinas. The otherwise unused centre platform of Sheppard-Yonge station could have been used as a stage. Every December, the Nutcracker would be performed there, complete with an orchestra (doesn't have to be the Toronto Symphony Orchestra) playing Tchaikovsky's excellent music specifically for the ballet.

Is centre-platform -> triple platform in general more expensive than double platform -> triple platform?
Would definitely depend on the station you are talking about (or the location of a new station). The real cost to the additional platform is space - in other words, your station box (which is a huge excavation with perimeter foundations) would have to accommodate the new platform. For some shallow stations with a center platform this may be possible (think Union) where you can add a platform at one side. At Yonge-Bloor (the Bloor Station) they expanded the station out on either side but did not add a platform (again, shallow station, relatively cheap cost).

To add a full platform for existing side platform stations would require re-aligning the tracks and then constructing a new center platform - for most underground stations you can forget about it from both a construction stand point and cost (then there are considerations for the concourse and access, and you get the point).

What is this in reference to? Yonge-Eglinton?

Would definitely depend on the station you are talking about (or the location of a new station). The real cost to the additional platform is space - in other words, your station box (which is a huge excavation with perimeter foundations) would have to accommodate the new platform. For some shallow stations with a center platform this may be possible (think Union) where you can add a platform at one side. At Yonge-Bloor (the Bloor Station) they expanded the station out on either side but did not add a platform (again, shallow station, relatively cheap cost).

To add a full platform for existing side platform stations would require re-aligning the tracks and then constructing a new center platform - for most underground stations you can forget about it from both a construction stand point and cost (then there are considerations for the concourse and access, and you get the point).

What is this in reference to? Yonge-Eglinton?
Both Bloor-Yonge and Eglinton (Eglinton-Yonge) on Line 1.

Both Bloor-Yonge and Eglinton (Eglinton-Yonge) on Line 1.
For Yonge-Eglinton, I think there are pocket tracks just to the north?
It likely would be easier to make a 300m long centre platform, with the northbound train stopping at the south end of platform, and the southbound train at the north end. This spreads the passengers out better.

For Yonge-Eglinton, I think there are pocket tracks just to the north?
It likely would be easier to make a 300m long centre platform, with the northbound train stopping at the south end of platform, and the southbound train at the north end. This spreads the passengers out better.
I believe there are pocket tracks, and I believe that's what is being removed, to move the current platforms further north.

I don't think even a second platform there is an option with the building foundations - hence moving the platforms, to allow for better flow to and from the centre island. But I like the staggered platform idea - I'm not sure why that isn't an option.

The other suggestion I've made in the past is moving the southbound track into a completely new tunnel, under Duplex Avenue. (and perhaps under Yonge Street at the Bloor platforms.

Is centre-platform -> triple platform in general more expensive than double platform -> triple platform?
The Centre platform at Sperd and younge was built incase the line ever become relly busy and was extended further then it was originally built. The plan was to add side platforms to the young line below and have the stairs and elevators, etc from there go to the centre platform. Right now it's only used for crew to access the bre room and the other platform rarely sees service except probably at the end of the day, or if a train goes out of service.

I believe there are pocket tracks, and I believe that's what is being removed, to move the current platforms further north.
There actually removing the break room at the end of the platform from when it was used as an end of the line to extend the platform a bit further north. I asked about it on the crosstown thered.

There actually removing the break room at the end of the platform from when it was used as an end of the line to extend the platform a bit further north. I asked about it on the crosstown thered.
That must be a pretty big break room - must be a lot of people out to lunch!

What about the pocket tracks? Aren't they going to be in the way?

citransfer274c.jpg

That must be a pretty big break room - must be a lot of people out to lunch!

What about the pocket tracks? Aren't they going to be in the way?

citransfer274c.jpg
That may have been a plan at one point but I'm not so sure if the TTC wan't to move the satin platform that much if they can avoid it as they still use those tracks for tun backs and storage of trains. I think what the are more looking at it instead of a crossing over it it will be more of a capital T

Thanks, I remembered wrong.

Will the platform length be extended, or will they simply move the break room to the south end.

Thanks, I remembered wrong.

Will the platform length be extended, or will they simply move the break room to the south end.
I think they are still figuring it out. Most likely they won't be moving track as the TTC will have enough line closures on the young line once they start adding ATC to it. They could do it at the same time if they have the space to be able to do it and money from both sides.

Unless it's been moved in the last few years, the operator break room at Eglinton Station is at the south end of the platform

It is, and always has been.

They are removing the pocket track at the north end, and extending the platform north into that space. They will then deactivate some portion of the south end of the platform.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

Back