Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

You press that button to make the train go. Congratulations, you now know how to drive a train with ATO :)

CU11KV0WsAAHStm.jpg

CU12DAOWcAAhVUK.jpg:large

https://twitter.com/shelleycarroll/status/670320773551284224

You press that button to make the train go. Congratulations, you now know how to drive a train with ATO :)

Really? They got ATO finished on that chunk of line? That's a huge surprise to me.

We spent something like $150M beefing up horizontal supports, removing the central vertical supports (and platform doors) because ATO wasn't expected to be available until several years after opening even with TYSSE's much delayed schedule.

I know TTC had to hedge their bets but that's still a bummer; especially knowing the Jubilee line history (platform doors for something like 7 years prior to ATO implementation; painfully slow stops at those stations as the driver lined things up).

Last edited:
Really? They got ATO finished on that chunk of line? That's a huge surprise to me.

We spent something like $150M beefing up horizontal supports, removing the central vertical supports (and platform doors) because ATO wasn't expected to be available until several years after opening even with TYSSE's much delayed schedule.

I know TTC had to hedge their bets but that's still a bummer; especially knowing the Jubilee line history (platform doors for something like 7 years prior to ATO implementation; painfully slow stops at those stations as the driver lined things up).

No signalling has been installed on the extension yet. Well, at least not completed.

The only active ATO currently installed is the test track at Wilson Yard, and a section between Bloor and Union which they have turned off as they continue the installation elsewhere.

Dan
Toronto, Ont.

TTC reworked the ATO implementation by getting one company to do everything, with the intention of speeding it up.

As for phased opening, a bunch of Vaughan pols nearly had a stroke the last time that was suggested. One of them is the the Minister for Transportation at Queens Park.

I really don't see the downside to a phased opening, especially if it's only to Finch West. It gets people riding the extension sooner, and it allows Vaughan to stage it's own "ribbon cutting" event when Highway 407 and Vaughan Centre stations open.

Besides, it would help distract the public from the fact that this thing is over a year behind schedule.

TTC reworked the ATO implementation by getting one company to do everything, with the intention of speeding it up.

As for phased opening, a bunch of Vaughan pols nearly had a stroke the last time that was suggested. One of them is the the Minister for Transportation at Queens Park.

The entitlement of Vaughan politicians is outstanding. Toronto taxpayers are already paying the operations cost of this extension.

The entitlement of Vaughan politicians is outstanding. Toronto taxpayers are already paying the operations cost of this extension.

After the capex is paid for by Vaughan, I expect that the subway will be break-even or even profitable.

Compared to the TTC I wouldn't call the Vaughan politicians entitled for this. Toronto doesn't even allow Mississauga busses to do intermediate stops while they are driving towards Kipling or Islington.

Yup same thing for yrt buses on Yonge south of Steeles. Even Ttc unions are guilty too..I recall a couple bargainings ago they demanded to be paid more than any gta transit just because..

Yup same thing for yrt buses on Yonge south of Steeles. Even Ttc unions are guilty too..I recall a couple bargainings ago they demanded to be paid more than any gta transit just because..

This is, IMHO, the greatest example of how outdated our transit system is. It's totally about making things more difficult for riders so everyone can protect their fiefdoms. It has nothing to do with entitled politicians.

I'm cautiously optimistic the opening of the subway + RER + fare integration studies means we're in the final days (well, years) of this nuttiness.

Last edited:
IMO I think the best way is for metrolinx to swallow up all of the GTA systems and just make it metrolinx north, central east west... etc....
we need a centralized government if we are to have a fully integrated system

Back