Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I don't agree at all that Toronto's rapid transit system is under developed.

This will depend on how you want to define "developed". I define it as having the infrastructure in place to get the job done.

If that is the definition we're using, then Toronto's RT system is arguably overdeveloped since the introduction of the Sheppard Subway. I don't see any corridors in Toronto that need to be served by rapid transit that aren't already. Sure, there are corridors where it would be nice to have (DRL and Scarborough, for example), but none where it is necessary.

Well, honestly, I find this borderline absurd. What you're saying is, that despite the massive population growth in the city since 2005, we basically haven't needed to build anything else to keep pace. That also assumes we were all caught up then, which I wouldn't agree to either. That means we didn't even really need the Eglinton subway in 1995, right? There wouldn't have been any real benefits, economic or otherwise, to building

What "job" is getting done by the current structure, exactly? Getting people from A to B and if it takes forever and you're packed in on one of a series of buses on a traffic-choked street, that still counts? If the street is lined by 2-story retail but could be lined by mid-rise, mixed-use development and those buses replaced by more spacious and efficient LRTs, that doesn't count as "getting the job done" because it's also just moving the same people from the same A to the same B?

The list of bus routes that should have been converted to RT long ago is pretty obvious, starting with Finch West and Eglinton. you must not ride them ever if you think the current service is adequate; it hasn't been for some time. The same can rather obviously be said about the Yonge subway, particularly Yonge-Bloor. The same can obviously be said for the Scarborough RT. Have you ever been on the Queen Streetcar? One could go on. Lordy - how long have been people been talking about the airport train that's going to open next month? Toronto does NOT have adequate public transit infrastructure, and the GTA as a whole even less so. I'm kind of surprised anyone on these boards would say otherwise.

I'm not the sort to look at a NYC subway map and say we need something like that but we've had effectively the same map since 1985 and the transit system has not changed the way the population has. I similarly would say that some congestion is not bad and is indicative of a healthy economy but it's a long time since we passed that point. And that's just talking about Toronto, not the larger region. The reason the TTC was so on its game through the 70s and 80s was that Metro co-oridnated planning and transit. That ended when population growth surged outside that planning structure and then, of course, when Mike Harris ended TTC's funding.

Now, I totally agree with you on the state of good repair and bus stuff. The TTC is underfunded at both ends but those problems are not mutually exclusive; indeed they are symptoms of the same disease. It's all fine and good to add more buses and more reliability but if they get to the subway and IT is at crush load and unreliable, well, that doesn't help either, does it? At best it it's a chicken-egg problem (ie we should get TTC up to speed and then add more lines) but to suggest transit expansion is something that would be nice to have, rather than a necessity...well, I can't wrap my head around that notion.

No, in an ideal word you are building transit just ahead of growth or in tandem with it, not decades behind; and this is especially true in a region where there was a conscious decision not to follow the lead of so many cities and drive highway after highway into downtown. If you do that, you need to build transit instead. If you are finding traffic is bad and you want more people to take transit, you need to build more transit. This is all strikes me as really self-evident. Crikey, even RER - you think this is just some frill the province is tossing around? It's just a bauble in a region of 6 million people?

In conclusion, I agree with the points you make about the TTC and its challenges but to suggest that we have adequate transit infrastructure today (further implying we were ahead of the curve a decade ago) strikes me as borderline absurd. To end back on-thread: if we had infinite (or even regular) transit funding, no one would really question the need for pretty much any line in The Big Move, including this one. It's the piecemeal, political process we have that pits projects against each other, sadly. But there's nothing inherently bad about trying to plan and build a transit-oriented regional network. but this....it's like an abusive relationship where you're so used to getting nothing you think that's what we deserve and we should be thankful for the little stub Mike Harris let be built or the single station added to the top of the Spadina line. The city and region deserve more and need more.

Last edited:
Well, honestly, I find this borderline absurd. What you're saying is, that despite the massive population growth in the city since 2005, we basically haven't needed to build anything else to keep pace.

I think there's a misunderstanding about what I'm saying.

Perhaps with the exception of Finch (FWLRT), there aren't any corridors in Toronto that absolutely need rapid transit service at this very instant. For example, much of the development that Yonge North will service won't emerge for another decade or so, DRL isn't yet necessary because Yonge will be able to handle current travel demands once ATO is in place. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't be working towards building RT. Projects like ECLRT, Yonge, TYSSE and DRL will become absolutely necessary in the near future. That is why I unequivocally support the continuing progress of those projects.

There are arguments for/against Toronto's transit network being woefully small or becoming quite major. Let's consider none of the "Big Move" projects have opened yet, with the sole exception of the York concourse at Union. Some were funded and then cancelled, then re-funded There are a lot of pending transit projects with shovels in ground, or about to:

Actual shovel movements occuring, not yet open:

-- York/Vaughan Subway Extension, discussed in this thread
-- Union revitalization (triple sq/ft GO concourse + new 135,000 sq/ft retail basement = over 6x more space)
-- UPX airport train
-- Eglinton Crosstown LRT
.....Highly integrated interchange with two subway stations (both Spadina and Yonge sides)
.....Highly integrated interchange with four GO lines -- Weston(Kitchener), Caledonia(Barrie) and Kennedy(Stoufville/Lakeshore East). All are targeted to become GO RER for fast two-way north-south travel
-- Mississauga MiWay transitway
-- Presto on TTC permitting more seamless fare integration
-- Georgetown corridor upgrades
.....Allow massive increase in GO within a few years (ala Lakeshore style 30-min allday)

Firm funding announcements have occured:

-- Hurontario LRT
.....Highly integrated interchange with three GO stations (one or two becoming GO RER)
-- Finch West LRT (resurrected)
-- Sheppard LRT (to be resurrected)
-- GO RER; electricifying GO network and turning five GO lines into five bona-fide surface subway lines:
.....15-min-and-better two-way all-day all-week service on five GO routes
.....Many new 416 Infill stations (and even more, if SmartTrack enhancements to RER Kitchener/Stoufville occurs)
.....Huge number of new integrated GO/Metrolinx/TTC/LRT interchange stations.

Wildcard:

-- Scarborough transit
-- Hamilton transit

Assuming few or no cancellations occur, this will still be a nice transit network far better than many North American cities, even if woefully insufficient in certain areas (e.g. missing DRL, etc). At least, far, far better than today's Toronto. Even if half or all the funding announcements are cancelled, we can really see the actual shovels is a lot compared to the last 25 years of transit stagnation.

An argument can be made today that Toronto's transit is a bit lacking when compared to a transit-friendly European city, but that gradually (within fifteen years) going from point A to B by transit in GTA, will be much quicker than it is today, given the actual existence of a large number of simultaneous shovels finally now occuring that hadn't happened in the last twenty years of GTA transit. Even Ford only rattled/delayed only a few of those. A long stagnation followed by a fairly healthy surge is about to occur, even if a few preferred projects (e.g. DRL) apparently isn't happening yet.

Last edited:
Perhaps with the exception of Finch (FWLRT), there aren't any corridors in Toronto that absolutely need rapid transit service at this very instant.
I'd disagree with you, adding in Yonge North, some kind of Yonge relief (could just as much be up Bay than up Pape), and also something east/west near King/Queen.

I'd disagree with you, adding in Yonge North, some kind of Yonge relief (could just as much be up Bay than up Pape), and also something east/west near King/Queen.

If we had ATO online now, there wouldn't be Yonge capacity issues today. I wouldn't mind Yonge North being extended up to Steels, if only to deal with the Yonge bus traffic.

Last edited:
Assuming few or no cancellations occur, this will still be a nice transit network far better than many North American cities, even if woefully insufficient in certain areas (e.g. missing DRL, etc). At least, far, far better than today's Toronto. Even if half or all the funding announcements are cancelled, we can really see the actual shovels is a lot compared to the last 25 years of transit stagnation.

An argument can be made today that Toronto's transit is a bit lacking when compared to a transit-friendly European city, but that gradually (within fifteen years) going from point A to B by transit in GTA, will be much quicker than it is today, given the actual existence of a large number of simultaneous shovels finally now occuring that hadn't happened in the last twenty years of GTA transit. Even Ford only rattled/delayed only a few of those. A long stagnation followed by a fairly healthy surge is about to occur, even if a few preferred projects (e.g. DRL) apparently isn't happening yet.

Bloor-Yonge will be way over capacity if Yonge is extended and the DRL isn't in place. I hope the province gets their act together.

I think there's a misunderstanding about what I'm saying.

Perhaps with the exception of Finch (FWLRT), there aren't any corridors in Toronto that absolutely need rapid transit service at this very instant. For example, much of the development that Yonge North will service won't emerge for another decade or so, DRL isn't yet necessary because Yonge will be able to handle current travel demands once ATO is in place. That doesn't mean that we shouldn't be working towards building RT. Projects like ECLRT, Yonge, TYSSE and DRL will become absolutely necessary in the near future. That is why I unequivocally support the continuing progress of those projects.

My point isn't at all that we shouldn't be expanding RT - it's that we focus too much on RT expansion and not enough on ensuring the TTC has adequate funding. A large proportion of customer complaints centre around system reliability. Just about all of these complaints could be mitigated with small capital investments and improvements to current service, with things like better route management and higher frequencies.

For example, one of the most common complaints on the King and Queen cars is slow rush hour speeds and poor reliability. In recent trials, the TTC has demonstrated that reliability could be enormously improved if they simply had a little more money for better route management. Unfortunately, the TTC has no money to expand this across the system in their budget. Speed could be improved with the implementation of the TTC's King transit mall proposal. This would just about erase current customer complaints about these routes. Unfortunately, we're unlikely to ever get the small boost to the TTC's annual budget that would allow them to implement these cheap but impactful improvements, because subways are simply better at buying votes than increasing the TTC budget by a few percent.

As long as we ignore the TTC's budget issues, service will remain lacklustre.

Like I said, the TTC budget shortfalls (operating) and lack of capital investment are not two separate things and I just think there's a lot of chicken-egg fallacy in your arguments. (Also, I think you overestimate the degree to which ATO will relieve Yonge/Bloor though it is certainly an important piece of the puzzle.)

OK, Yonge north (or Spadina for that matter) are serving development that isn't there yet. but it isn't there yet because the transit isn't there yet. If the Yonge line had been built north of Finch since 1974, development would be north of Finch. There is no way to know what Eglinton would look like today if Harris hadn't filled in that hole but it's certainly safe to say that it wouldn't like the same as it looks now. The lands near Ikea on Sheppard - there was no development there "yet" in 1995; it's there now because of the subway and would not be there otherwise.

Some of the projects you're saying are viable, just not necessary right now, have been on the books for years if not decades. Did we NEED the Sheppard LRT open now? Well, you could argue that we didn't but there is no question there would be more density on Sheppard (and higher ridership, and therefore less operating deficit) if the subway had been built to its proper terminus or if the LRT had opened on schedule. So now that LRT is serving "future development," by virtue of the fact it isn't being built. This is my whole point about not waiting until some piece is desperately needed but actually getting out in front (and some might say a project like VMC is putting the transit TOO far in front).

So, yeah, there should be a paradigm shift where TTC (and the entire regional system) is having its operating needs met but I don't see it as an either/or proposition. And as I pointed out above, you might say, "Well our transit network is pretty much OK compared to an equivalent American city," but that American city almost certainly has highway infrastructure we don't. We did a good thing, going the Jane Jacobs route there, but we have to back it up and certainly the whole premise of The Big Move isn't just having an adequate network for people who don't have cars but to create a viable network people will actually choose to use over cars. There's a difference between being able to justify a project and waiting until its absolutely needed, especially given how the winds of change tear up transit plans here.

This is from the Metrolinx CBA of Yonge North; a report which would, in support of the project, seek to maximize the impact of ATO:

ATO includes a new signalling system that will enable a reduction in the minimum headway between trains. This allows a higher service frequency than the previous
system, with a maximum number of 34.3 trains per hour.
The ATO is expected to be fully installed by early 2018.
The Rocket trains, providing a 10% increase in train capacity, and the ATO together will deliver an improvement in planning capacity from 26,000 to 38,000 passengers per hour on the line...

Even with the existing signal system or the new ATO, the key bottleneck for Yonge Subway capacity is the current dwell time for trains in Bloor Station.
In order to operate a higher frequency through Bloor-Yonge Station with ATO it will be necessary to significantly reduce the vehicle dwell time that is caused by the large volume of passengers boarding and alighting."

For reference, they're apparently running 22-25 trains an hour now.

And from a Globe article:
The next big shift will be the move to automatic train control on the Yonge-University-Spadina line. This will not involve driverless trains – as the name would seem to suggest – but will allow them to run closer together in the tunnel. According to the TTC, this change will allow them to run 30 trains per hour during the peak period, boosting capacity another 20 per cent. This system is not scheduled to be in place until 2020.

We'll see if those numbers shake out (but if it's true, combined with the 10% gain from the new trains, seems to me its hard for them argue they need the DRL before extending Yonge...but that's for another thread).

I don't think SPEEDING UP is accurate; Vaughan's 2015 outward growth isn't like 2005 or 1995. But, as I think I said upthread, I do agree they haven't slammed the brakes on it as hard as I'd like. They opened up new whitebelt lands whereas I think they could have been more aggressive with the VMC targets and more reluctant to open new land until we've seen how that goes. There is infill along arterials just outside the centre, at Weston/7 but, as pointed out above, Jane Street is largely industrial park that won't go anywhere and the 407 is a barrier to the south. That said, there's still a lot of land - both still greenfield and ready for replacement - within the UGC.

(And as with my point above, one benefit of LRT over subway is the streetscape it can create. That would have had no effect on Jane between Steeles and 7.)

Their opening up of the white belt is one of the things I take issue with. It’s hard to brush it off as some bygone era called “the pastâ€, when it was only a couple years ago. It’s kinda bs IMO that despite all the warning bells, a city can just plow the landscape with sprawl for decades – then continue doing so despite preventative legislation, or claims of being forward-thinking. They’re speaking out of both sides of their mouth, and building the polar opposites of urban form: outward sprawl + high-density downtown. Why not proactive measures, or the entire spectrum of options in between?

P2G didn’t come out of the blue. Anti-sprawl measures were a long time coming, and the ball got rolling in the 90s. The legislation’s inevitable existence should’ve been taken into consideration a generation ago as a future reality. It wasn’t. And in spite of all this, they were given a subway extension that really did come out of left field.

Like where? Again, the prime sites are right by the station box. I admit I'm a bit surprised the land on the south side of 7 (north of Interchange) hasn't startedup yet, but I'm certainly not concerned that it will. Again, consider the timelines: The UGC was designated in 2006 but that was a meaningless dot on a map until the zoning was put in place and that was less than 5 years ago. (Plus there was a whole deal with Toromont and their desire to move that pushed back the schedule on their lands. I can't remember when they're supposed to finally head north.)

Hmm. I’m not sure. I may’ve been wrong on that. For a green/brownfield, I thought some of the WDL blocks finished within 5yrs of secondary plan. Not sure tho. For a major infill, Regent Park seemed like things moved quickly: Secondary plan I believe in 07, and by ‘12 one block was completed with a second underway. Obviously there are considerable differences, and I can’t think of any examples where major developments/communities really did move “fasterâ€, so I may’ve jumped the gun there.

Re: zoning and secondary plans for VMC...yes, 5yrs isn’t much. But I am actually surprised more blocks haven’t been filling in. And there’s no rule saying it’s gotta be the “prime sites†next to the station. My point is that the subway’s opening was 2015 for all intents and purposes, they’re next door to the biggest/densest city in the country, it’s the 21stC, and that rather than promptly moving towards making zoning changes there or elsewhere - Vaughan continued with sprawl.

I agree with the general principle and I think we've both said before the overall system of project prioritization and funding is messed-up. The mode, at least in this case, is really a red herring as the subway to York U was being discussed for a long time. Sorbara just got it to come further north. The node's location also strikes me as irrelevant. Yes, it's (partly) a "vacant lot" but it's not some random spot in Caledon. It is just barely north of Toronto in one of the country's fastest growing municipalities -- a municipality that needed incentive to intensify -- and it is one of 3 growth centres aligned along a major east-west corridor. (obviously, this all applies as well to Langstaff/RHC).

Yeah, but it’s the nonchalant and innocuous “Sorbara just got it to come further north†line that I have a problem with, and is basically what reignited this page. Vaughan’s “incentive to intensify†should’ve been the fact that the city is an uncoordinated sprawling mess – which continued sprawling until they ran out of land. That it required 2.4km of the highest order of transportation in existence (equating to almost a $1 Billion backroom pork barrel, plus op losses in perpetuity) as “incentive†to smarten up I see as ridiculous.

An extension to York U is a different story (seeing that it’s a major university, with an existing transit-using population in the vicinity, and was ID’d for quite some time). However I’d still have preferred if more affordable railed alternates were at least looked at closely. Or if this sixth extension of Line 1 was more weighed against other unrealized priorities.

If you're going to question the designation of VMC, you're basically questioning any UGC that's not an established centre (be it downtown Toronto, NYCC, downtown Oshawa, or wherever). Part of the point of P2G was to bring high order transit (LRT, in some cases!) to "vacant lots" in suburbs and build something sustainable there. You seem to have issues with the idea this could work out and, like I said, it's a legit opinion. I still think it's a smart move and Yonge/7 and Jane/7 have very strong potential to work.

Okay, but even prior to any Prov “UGC†designation, there’s still a major difference between an “established centreâ€, a pre-existing area with ‘centre’-like qualities, an area where people actually walk, and (in Vaughan’s case) a few parking lots and fields with empty or nonexistent sidewalks. VMC really does stand out amongst the majority of UGCs.

https://www.placestogrow.ca/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=372&Itemid=15#3

And my questioning the Centres plan isn’t some wild assumption. We’ve had “centres†before. What has happened? Less growth, less jobs, less transit mode share, less pedestrians than was promised. I know you like to use NYCC as a reminder of what can exist if we have hope. But NYCC was probably the most successful “centreâ€, so it as a comparison is a red herring. Further, it had a pre-existing grid system of streets, homes, pedestrians, businesses, civic buildings, busy routes, high transit usage etc. And IMO every other area in TO that went on to become a “centre†was also in no way comparable to VMC.

Fact is, VMC is undeveloped but it's not nowhere and if they were going to porkfully drive a subway up there, it remains laudable to they tied that into a larger transportation network and growth plan. While I once again think Vaughan could have been even more ambitious than they have been, they're also not taking the "highest-echelon" gift they've been given for granted and should be given credit for that.

I believe they are ‘taking it for granted’. Case in point: continuing to sprawl on the whitebelt. They didn’t need to do that – regardless of whether they were gifted a subway or not. As for this “larger transportation network and growth planâ€. Yes, both of these are very connected and feed off one another. Unfortunately both are really screwed up at the moment. How much of the Big Move is on schedule, funded, or still existing as a plan? How many UGCs and municipalities’ growth plans are affected by the Prov screwing the pooch? And this isn’t just a recent revelation. There were always glaring issues with MO2020 and the Big Move – and by extension P2G and UGCs. I wouldn’t be at all surprised if more municipalities will be allowed to sprawl (e.g Markham since YN is delayed indefinitely)

You're tying together cause and effect too neatly. I totally agree plans get undermined and pushed aside and there are all sorts of ways in which opportunities are being missed. But THIS project didn't push anything back in any concrete way. It's easy to make that point with Scarborough because:
a) they very specifically passed up a fully-funded LRT for an unfunded subway
b) they did this at the same time they were talking about the DRL
If SmartTrack gets approved, it won't be much less of a "pork" move by Tory, except that he was piggbacking on a provincial RER plan.

I believe it has pushed things back for the reasons of high cost, use of resources, and lengthy construction time. IIRC Byford was quoted during TYSSE news that the TTC is bogged down with too many projects. I know you’re going to point fingers; or reply with a post about why this is reason we should cede the entire TTC and TO transportation planning/construction to the Prov/Metrolinx. But we didn’t (and hopefully never will). Another point is the ancillary issues re: precedence of constructing TO’s only subway project in ages to another city. A city where very few use transit, and for the last few decades has been the epitome of poorly planned auto-centric suburban sprawl.

Although I can’t see any parallels between TYSSE and Scarb Subway, it’s interesting you brought up Scarboro because I think one key reason the SRT issue came back for debate is due to this aforementioned precedence. A low density suburb outside the 416 gets the costliest transit infrastructure in existence. Whereas Scarborough (which is more than twice the size and decades older) gets a short extension, continued forced transfer, with similar trains as what exists now, using identical infrastructure. Although I support grade-separate light metros like the SLRT (and put them in the exact same class as Heavy Rail subways), it’s pretty obvious this perceived inequality would create strife. STC exists, has for quite some time, people in Scarb use transit and walk, and the existing transit line req’d upgrading anyway. I definitely can't say the same about VMC.
*Apologies if this was a bit long-winded and repetitive, but some of the points I consider as being more current than past.

The "scarborough is twice as large" arguement is bull. Scarborough has roughly 130 square km of residential areas while Vaughan has 80 square km. One is obviously going to be larger. Scarborough is slightly denser, but not twice as much, maybe 1.2-1.3x as much,

Scarborough is also a much more mature urban area, the vaughan urban area is still scattered with large undeveloped areas.

Back