Toronto Spadina Subway Extension Emergency Exits | ?m | 1s | TTC | IBI Group

I think MrsNesbitt is referring to subway stations and not structures

It's hard to judge the subway stations as a naming pattern with only two that exist, when you can find other places along Yonge that have the opposite.

The new Crosstown station at Eglinton, although the Crosstown site currently shows it keeping the Eglinton name for that station there, I think it would change, but to what?
Yonge-Eglinton station fits with the Mall right next door, but Eglinton-Yonge fits that pattern with the other subway stations.

It's hard to judge the subway stations as a naming pattern with only two that exist, when you can find other places along Yonge that have the opposite.

The new Crosstown station at Eglinton, although the Crosstown site currently shows it keeping the Eglinton name for that station there, I think it would change, but to what?
Yonge-Eglinton station fits with the Mall right next door, but Eglinton-Yonge fits that pattern with the other subway stations.

I have to say that Yonge-Eglinton is a far more natural-sounding name, though Juan is correct that I was referring to subway stations for the convention of east-west then north-south. I think Eglinton Station will get renamed, however.

When the new TR trains went into service, Bloor station became Bloor-Yonge station on the stop announcements even though the station itself wasn't officially renamed. Same thing with Sheppard station.

But how come the old Yonge trains used to announce "Sheppard station" if it was renamed?

I... think I can answer this.

From what I understand personally, it could have been a naming convention to uphold each station to be unique. So in 1954, Bloor was fine. Then as the Bloor-Danforth Subway opened in 1966, they had a stop at Yonge Street and that stayed as "Yonge" and colloquially known and made as Bloor-Yonge Station to incorporate both platforms even though each playform is named separately. When Yonge was extended in 1974, Sheppard Station opened for business and remained as "Sheppard" without issue. Whereas in 2002, the Sheppard Subway opens.

Now here's the kicker, some may say it's easier to just call it "Yonge". However Bloor-Danforth has a "Yonge", so they went with Sheppard-Yonge Station for the Sheppard Subway while Sheppard Station (on a semi-internal basis) continued to remain for the Yonge Line.

Now as for St. George, they both cross the same way at St. George Street (best as I can guess) and Spadina (instead of Lowther), was to save money. And Kennedy I suppose just for the sake of simplicity since everyone knows where Kennedy Station is. GO followed along and did the same in 2005.

Hope this perspective helps. Anyone who can provide further details or corrections, please join in.

Last edited:
I... think I can answer this.

From what I understand personally, it could have been a naming convention to uphold each station to be unique. So in 1954, Bloor was fine. Then as the Bloor-Danforth Subway opened in 1966, they had a stop at Yonge Street and that stayed as "Yonge" and colloquially known and made as Bloor-Yonge Station to incorporate both platforms even though each playform is named separately. When Yonge was extended in 1974, Sheppard Station opened for business and remained as "Sheppard" without issue. Whereas in 2002, the Sheppard Subway opens.

Now here's the kicker, some may say it's easier to just call it "Yonge". However Bloor-Danforth has a "Yonge", so they went with Sheppard-Yonge Station for the Sheppard Subway while Sheppard Station (on a semi-internal basis) continued to remain for the Yonge Line.

Now as for St. George, they both cross the same way at St. George Street (best as I can guess) and Spadina (instead of Lowther), was to save money. And Kennedy I suppose just for the sake of simplicity since everyone knows where Kennedy Station is. GO followed along and did the same in 2005.

Hope this perspective helps. Anyone who can provide further details or corrections, please join in.
...and Greenwood station is actually one block east of Greenwood.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/tra...na_subway_to_york_could_be_delayed_again.html

New information on the schedule for this project. This kind of emerging delay isn't really surprising....very few large projects finish without some hiccups, but it's unfortunate.

- Paul

no, plenty of large projects finish without major delay (2 year delay is not "some hiccups"). Don't sugar coat it.
The fact it takes more than 6 years to construct 6 subway stops in the pure suburbs is nothing but sad and shows TTC's utter incompetence. Can you find anywhere else where it is as slow (and cost more)?
Good thing is this section has absolutely nothing to do with me.

New York City is a great example. Every major project (East Side Access, 2nd Avenue Subway, 7 Extension, WTC Path Station etc) are late and extremely over budget (some are double the cost). I'm sure we could find other examples.

the problem with this project is that it has been hiccup after hiccup.

I also wouldn't really blame the TTC, the only input they had on all the delays was during the bidding process and there is no way they could have predicted what would occur.

these delays are on the contractors. They are the ones that forgot site safety that got that poor guy killed, they are the ones who deal with misbehaving subcontractors, they are the ones who have to meet the scheduled completion dates.

if you want something that is slower and more costly take a look at NYC. triple the cost per km of Toronto.

New York City is a great example. Every major project (East Side Access, 2nd Avenue Subway, 7 Extension, WTC Path Station etc) are late and extremely over budget (some are double the cost). I'm sure we could find other examples.

you honestly compare subway construction in Manhattan with Finch/Steeles west and Vaughan?

Back